Inconsistent Netflix streaming quality with Samsung P3600 - Device or ISP? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-16-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to determine why I'm getting such inconsistent streaming quality through my Samsung P3600. It has a wired connection to the router so we're not dealing with wi-fi issues here. I'm on a 15Mbps Time Warner Cable (just switched from 3Mbps ATT) and while I do occasionally get a full connection and HD video (based on the quality meter that shows up just as I start a movie), it's maybe 20% of the time at best, and of that 20% I'd say half those times the video feed will pause at some point and the quality will drop to some thing less than HD. Sometimes I only get half the number of bars on the quality meter and in those cases I see significant pixelation. I've done several speed tests (using my Ipad, Iphone, and PC, all wireless) just before, during, and after watching a show and I consistently get 15+Mbps bandwidth speeds so it really doesn't seem like it's an ISP issue. When I don't get HD quality streaming through the Samsung I've switched to watching with my Ipad (connected via component cables to my 57" TV) and while the quality "seems" much better I really have no way of knowing for sure if I'm getting HD quality, though I've never seen the video pause during playback on my Ipad or seen pixelation.

All this seems to point to the Samsung as being the problem. I've read some other threads about certain Blu Ray's having a problem with streaming quality, particularly the Sony's which apparently go through a separate server for Netflix streaming. First of all, is there a way to verify streaming quality on on iOS device or PC? The Samsung has a quality meter but I don't see a similar meter on the other interfaces. Second, I've tried seemingly everything on the Samsung to make this better. I've reset the settings on the machine, rebooted it and the router and modems multiple times, messed with the video quality settings in Netflix, nothing seems to work. I've even gone back to wireless with the Samsung but that didn't make a difference. It does seem to more frequently stream lower quality later in the day and in the evening. On rare days when I'm at home during the day I seem to have a better chance watching an entire show or movie in HD. But the speed tests I've ran are consistently in the 15-20 Mbps range regardless of time of dy.

If getting a new device for streaming is the obvious answer I'm willing to try that. I'd like to do the Roku but I don't have a TV with HDMI (yet). But I want to make sure it's a device issue before I invest in another streaming set. Are there other troubleshooting steps I can try to make sure or a setting in the Samsung I can adjust?

Thanks.

HR10-250 (since 1/05)
SAT-T60 (since 8/01)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I guess I'll just have to call Netflix and start there. Have not been able to stream HD now in a few days and my quality scale ranges from 50% to about 80% according to the meter on my Samsung. This despite consistently getting 15-20 Mbps bandwidth based on speedtest.net during all times of day. Seems I should easily get HD quality with that kind of bandwidth. I'm not seeing any buffering or pausing, but definitely not getting HD. What could explain the lack of video quality while simultaneously getting the bandwidth I'm seeing? Seems like it might be the Samsung but with no way of testing it's hard to be sure.

HR10-250 (since 1/05)
SAT-T60 (since 8/01)
post #3 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't rule out problems on NF end.

Whenever you have problems with NF try:

1) Streaming another movie from NF, something older and not that popular (when I had NF I would often try another NF movie and it would stream fine, so that problem was on NF end).

2) Try another streaming service (whenever I had problem with NF I would also try Amazon Prime or Vudu and usually I wouldn't have a problem with either, so again NF problems).
post #4 of 12 Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

Don't rule out problems on NF end.

Whenever you have problems with NF try:

1) Streaming another movie from NF, something older and not that popular (when I had NF I would often try another NF movie and it would stream fine, so that problem was on NF end).

2) Try another streaming service (whenever I had problem with NF I would also try Amazon Prime or Vudu and usually I wouldn't have a problem with either, so again NF problems).

That's a good idea, except I don't subscribe to those services and my Blu Ray only has Netflix on it. Is there a way to try it out without buying a movie?

I did however buy a Roku 3 today and hooked that up. It doesn't look like there's a way to monitor transmission quality on the Roku like the Samsung Blu Ray had (the Samsung would actually tell me I'm getting an HD video stream) but visually it doesn't look any different and definitely not HD. And checking my ASUS router traffic meter shows a really slow feed from both devices. Much slower even than the last few days. Even speedtest.net is only giving me a 10 Mbps speed which is the lowest I've ever seen it. But even that speed should get me an HD video with ease so something still isn't right here. Obviously the Roku has a ton more streaming services on it but I'm not sure how I can test the others out without buying something.

HR10-250 (since 1/05)
SAT-T60 (since 8/01)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Tried again this morning and got an HD stream with my Blu Ray (didn't have time to hook up the Roku to test that out, though without the quality meter like the Blu Ray has I'm not sure I could really verify an HD stream aside from a subjective visual test). I'm curious if anyone here has seen this about TWC throttling streaming: http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/196239/block_time_warner_cable_stream_throttling/

Given the variable results I'm seeing on my Blu Ray (mostly in the evening) the throttling really seems like a reasonable explanation and not so much an issue with the streaming device.

HR10-250 (since 1/05)
SAT-T60 (since 8/01)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Possibly bored kids at the end of the school year creating a lot demand on NF. I didn't see this over the weekend probably because they would be off at proms, etc. Not blaming kids though, just sayin' NF may not be up to that much demand. Or possibly some of the broadband network routes down due to the tornado?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Roku 3 that you got was a waste of money. I have now for about three weeks during peak hours having poorer streaming quality on the Roku 3. It streams with rapid LED blinking and sure does not look HD to me. It can start at around 7 PM or later. The PS3 is the best device for me as it has no problems in the afternoons or evenings during peak hours. Also the UI is much better. The only thing that annoys me on the PS3 is the 'feature' post play which I hate so much. I watch different shows not episodes as a marathon so when the show finishes I have to keep my hands on the remote to prevent it to automaically play the next episode. The Roku does not have that annoying feature but what is the point with poor HD streaming in the evenings.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman1969 View Post

If getting a new device for streaming is the obvious answer I'm willing to try that. I'd like to do the Roku but I don't have a TV with HDMI (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman1969 View Post

I did however buy a Roku 3 today and hooked that up. It doesn't look like there's a way to monitor transmission quality on the Roku like the Samsung Blu Ray had (the Samsung would actually tell me I'm getting an HD video stream) but visually it doesn't look any different and definitely not HD. And checking my ASUS router traffic meter shows a really slow feed from both devices. Much slower even than the last few days.

How did you connect the Roku 3 to the TV?

What speeds are you seeing on the Asus. I see 500 - 600 MBytes per second averages when viewing Netflix 1080P HD (not SuperHD as my ISP doesn't support it). Remember most Asus routers display in MBytes (not Mbits) per second.

You might also try some of these suggestions 'How do I improve my Roku player connection to content servers?' (I think the suggestions will apply to any streamer not just the Roku)

http://support.roku.com/entries/420570-How-do-I-improve-my-Roku-player-connection-to-content-servers-
post #9 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Changing wireless channel well I am wired. Changing DNS is also a waste of time but do stick with OpenDNS. Google DNS should not even be mentioned as I got worse performance as Google connects to Virginia were CDN will be worse. OpenDNS use to also connect to Virginia but now connects to NYC again.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Unless you are using something like those special DNS to get SuperHD, you should try your own ISP's DNS first. It may more accurately point to the closest servers near your ISP's connections.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Not mine. Earthlink crappy DNS points to the Midwest and not just that it goes down all the time for work.

Cats are the best pets.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Changing DNS is also a waste of time but do stick with OpenDNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Not mine. Earthlink crappy DNS points to the Midwest and not just that it goes down all the time for work.

I am a little confused here when you say that the advice to change DNS is a waste of time - but then say that your Earthlink DNS has issues so you use OpenDNS.

That said my post above was in reply to wxman1969 http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473012/inconsistent-netflix-streaming-quality-with-samsung-p3600-device-or-isp#post_23346751

Your frequent posts have made it clear you are unhappy but I am not sure if you looking for help or a place to vent.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page