Best streaming media player these days? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I hate swapping dvd's on movie nights, so I copied my movies to a server, and have been feeding my blu ray h.264's to my PS3. Cinavia is killing me!

What are some worthwhile options these days for video streaming? Maybe something that will let me access the internet as well?

Any guidance/direction you can provide I am grateful for. I am googling, there are just so many choices.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Insofar as things capable of streaming video from servers on your LAN which have Internet VOD players (Netflix, VUDU, Hulu Plus, etc), I like the WD TV Live. It's been able to play everything that I've thrown at it via DLNA and some that I never thought it'd be able to play. (I have some .MPG files which were MKVs with DTS sound; the PS3 couldn't play DTS from an MKV over DLNA, so I processed them with an mkv2vob option which rendered the DTS as 2 channel PCM which, emerging from the PS3, would be recognized as DTS by AVRs. Prior to getting the WD TV Live, I could only play these files a streamed to the PS3; with everything else the sound came out as static).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was eyeing the WD Live smile.gif

One more question; does anyone know of a good device (Preferably gigabit Ethernet interface) that I can hook up to my tv via HDMI or something that I can stream my computer to my TV allowing me to use my computer on my TV when I'm in the living room, and use my computer when I'm in the office?
post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I know I said it and I will say it again that if you can afford it nothing beats the PS3 for streaming Netflix. I use to think that the Roku was good but lately now for three weeks now during peak hours I have been getting poor PQ with HD content with Netflix but the PS3 has no problems. I don't know about other devices though as all I stream is Netflix so I am sorry I can't help you out with that.

EDIT: Sorry I did not fully read your topic. You already have a PS3. My bad.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2013, 05:00 PM

i know this tread is old but the best streaming player for all video is Samsung bd-c6900 period.

it will support and play any file thrown at it and yes it will stream any DTS video even in MKV's .

Theres nothing like using ps3 media server with the bd-c6900 for mkv streaming , even with DTS mkv's the transcoding bar on ps3 media never moves so thus equals unparallelled playing .

i have bought over 7 different streaming player's and networked bd players and took them all back and ordered a used bd-c6900 for my 2 nd entertainment room never been happier.

p.s. the newer samsung bd players are cheaper feeling and looking and although they play and stream mkvs and dts audio they fast forward and rewind 10x slower than the 2010 bd-c6900.

so look no further they can still be bought open box and refurbished for under 150.

sources = me

i stream all formats of video all day everyday when im not playing the 360.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page