Netflix sent me a 'Dear John' on my Streaming plan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the Blu-Rays I get from Netflix. I hear less and less people use that service. But the Blu-ray quality is still unbeatable, and I don't usually want to buy and keep them. But we sometimes wanted to use the streaming plan as well. For many years as a family we were on a Netflix DVD and streaming plan, nearly when Netflix first started, and probably was grandfathered in to a pretty cheap status. We were paying for both for only $5 dollars a month. For many years we would get 2DVDs in the mail, and we could watch up to 5 hours of streaming online. As of recently I moved to Blu-Ray, and this added a $1, so no big deal, and it was so worth every penny. I also moved all my home equipment to HD. But Netflix didn't quite keep up in the Audio Streaming department. I complained about that on many occasions. They want you to make a 3rd party purchase like a Roku to really get the good quality. But here is the latest last straw... see what I got in my email:

Dear Robert,
We wanted to inform you of an important upcoming change to your Netflix membership. As of August 1, 2013, we will no longer offer a limited (5 hours per month) streaming plan.
Your DVD plan will continue at $5.99 a month, however, it will no longer include 5 hours of streaming per month as of your first billing date on or after August 1, 2013. If you would like to cancel your DVD plan, please visit Your Account.
If you’d like to continue to enjoy watching TV shows & movies instantly, please add an unlimited streaming plan to your membership by visiting Your Account.

You would think they would just hit me with a price hike... but no... just cancel my streaming service?! Well my wife and I decided, we weren't really using it enough to worry about it right now. Maybe in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 328
They cancelled the combo programs last year. I'm surprised you were still able to get it. However, for 8 bucks a month, unlimited streaming is still a bargain.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I hope they didn't cancel all combo's. I think it's only the '5-hour limited' streaming they dumped.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

They cancelled the combo programs last year. I'm surprised you were still able to get it. However, for 8 bucks a month, unlimited streaming is still a bargain.

Ian

It's not that I needed to go out and 'get it', it was that I had it since Netflix's inception. But are you saying that for $8/month that I would get both, or... for $8/month extra I would get streaming in addition to the money I already pay?
post #5 of 24 Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjr3d View Post

It's not that I needed to go out and 'get it', it was that I had it since Netflix's inception. But are you saying that for $8/month that I would get both, or... for $8/month extra I would get streaming in addition to the money I already pay?

Yeah. They are now two separate charges. Actually have been for about a year or longer now for most of us.

For $7.99/month you would get unlimited streaming. And then for an additional cost per month(for 2 Blu-Rays/month might be like an additional $7.99/month), you can get discs.

I am not sure of the cost per month since I stopped having DVD's/BLU-RAY's for over a year now.

As long as you have a strong ISP speed, VUDU/AMAZON/CINEMANOW offer new movies at a rate of $4.99/HD rental. The picture is really good IMHO.

Now the streaming of new movies on DVD/Blu-Ray does not start until 2 weeks after the initial release of the DVD. That was the deal made by studios and the streaming companies. They want people to buy them/rent. Hence the delay in streaming on New Movies/TV Show.

So if you want the actual Blu-Ray along with streaming, it will be 2 charges, and not one combo charge.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

Yeah. They are now two separate charges. Actually have been for about a year or longer now for most of us.

For $7.99/month you would get unlimited streaming. And then for an additional cost per month(for 2 Blu-Rays/month might be like an additional $7.99/month), you can get discs.

I am not sure of the cost per month since I stopped having DVD's/BLU-RAY's for over a year now.

As long as you have a strong ISP speed, VUDU/AMAZON/CINEMANOW offer new movies at a rate of $4.99/HD rental. The picture is really good IMHO.

Now the streaming of new movies on DVD/Blu-Ray does not start until 2 weeks after the initial release of the DVD. That was the deal made by studios and the streaming companies. They want people to buy them/rent. Hence the delay in streaming on New Movies/TV Show.

So if you want the actual Blu-Ray along with streaming, it will be 2 charges, and not one combo charge.

I'll do a call to Netflix and see if they cut me a deal... they prolly won't. But I'll try. I'll also see if there is still the combo unlimited that Andyross mentioned above (maybe he just hasn't got his 'Dear John' email yet, or just missed it. Or if they are allowing them to be grandfathered in.. just not me.)

About VUDU/Amazon/CinemaNOW --- They all suffer from the same problems I actually have with Netflix, I'm told, and this is changing the subject a bit. But as of yet, I'm told that none of them offer Multi-Channel audio through the PC...correct? But I Digress.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I pick my Netflix movies as much based on resolution as content.

I just don't enjoy non HD titles, constantly wondering what the film would look like in HD.

I find that the Super HD feeds on Netflix have made me forget about renting Blu Rays. PQ on my 6 mbs DSL connection is outstanding, making my Dish Network HD channels look soft by comparison.

I do get one rebuffering break per movie - usually right at the beginning. After that, smooth sailing.smile.gif
post #8 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I find that the Super HD feeds on Netflix have made me forget about renting Blu Rays. PQ on my 6 mbs DSL connection is outstanding, making my Dish Network HD channels look soft by comparison.

confused.gif

Who is your ISP? Super HD's are only available through open connect. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there are any DSL providers that offer it due to the lower speeds.

Ian

post #9 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

I'll do a call to Netflix and see if they cut me a deal... they prolly won't. But I'll try. I'll also see if there is still the combo unlimited that Andyross mentioned above (maybe he just hasn't got his 'Dear John' email yet, or just missed it. Or if they are allowing them to be grandfathered in.. just not me.)

the default offer they give to unhappy customers is a free month of unlimited streaming. If you whine and beg you might get 2.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

You would think they would just hit me with a price hike... but no... just cancel my streaming service?! Well my wife and I decided, we weren't really using it enough to worry about it right now. Maybe in the future.

Just click your Account (upper right) on your Netflix page and you will be presented with 5 panes where you can change or cancel your plans.

DISC
1 Disc out at-a-time, $9.99 a month with Blu-ray
2 Disc out at-a-time, $14.99 a month with Blu-ray
3 Disc out at-a-time, $19.99 a month with Blu-ray

1 Disc out at-a-time, $4.99 a month $5.99 a month with Blu-ray
(limit 2 rentals a month)

STREAMING

Unlimited Streaming, $7.99 a month
Watch on up to 2 devices at the same time
Watch instantly as often as you want on your PC, Mac or TV

Unlimited Streaming, $11.99 a month
Watch on up to 4 devices at the same time

I have the 3 Blu-ray a month and $7.99 streaming plans. My average is about 10 Blu-ray disc per month, at $5 to $6 per view via my VUDU account that would be $50 to $60 per month. It would also mean less in PQ and no lossless audio. If you value picture and sound quality then there is no sub for Blu-ray.

Edited to add plan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Just click your Account (upper right) on your Netflix page and you will be presented with 5 panes where you can change or cancel your plans.

DISC

STREAMING

I have the 3 Blu-ray a month and $7.99 streaming plans. My average is about 10 Blu-ray disc per month, at $5 to $6 per view via my VUDU account that would be $50 to $60 per month. It would also mean less in PQ and no lossless audio. If you value picture and sound quality then there is no sub for Blu-ray.
It appears I was on a really old grandfathered plan... and many people are paying a lot more. I do only get 1disc out at a time and 2/month max, but it is super cheap. But your right the Blu-ray is without match! From the 1st opening 'movie company' logo music hits the speakers, you can really tell the crisp difference.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

...I find that the Super HD feeds on Netflix have made me forget about renting Blu Rays. PQ on my 6 mbs DSL connection is outstanding...
Although you see the Super HD logo, you probably aren't actually getting it. If you watch the Example Short, what's the highest rate you see?

post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The plans can be a bit confusing. For long-time subscribers, it seems as if they have 'split' it. I've been a subscriber since 11/99. I was 4-out, and then grandfathered 4-out at the 3-out price. When they changed their prices, the grandfather disappeared, and I eventually changed to the 2-out. At the time, streaming was just included with it. When I just checked, it seems to show as two separate plans: The 2-out disk and 2-device streaming.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #14 of 24 Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

It appears I was on a really old grandfathered plan... and many people are paying a lot more. I do only get 1disc out at a time and 2/month max, but it is super cheap.

No, they still have that plan. I just failed to include it in the post above.

post #15 of 24 Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I have the 1 BD at a time and the streaming plan. I didn't know the 2/mo plan was $5.99... I'll have to look at my history, but I don't think I'm getting much more than 2 per month as it is, since my discs usually sit on the shelf while I watch streaming content (I go in waves). I doubt it's worth it to me to save the $4 on the off chance that I want more than 2 per month, though. Sometimes I can burn through 6-7 in a month when I'm rapid-fire sending them back.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #16 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

The plans can be a bit confusing. For long-time subscribers, it seems as if they have 'split' it. I've been a subscriber since 11/99. I was 4-out, and then grandfathered 4-out at the 3-out price. When they changed their prices, the grandfather disappeared, and I eventually changed to the 2-out. At the time, streaming was just included with it. When I just checked, it seems to show as two separate plans: The 2-out disk and 2-device streaming.

That's interesting that nobody else on these grandfathered combo plans seem to indicate that they have gotten a 'dear john' like me.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's interesting that nobody else on these grandfathered combo plans seem to indicate that they have gotten a 'dear john' like me.

At least your plan was grandfathered, until now. Many like myself lost their combo plans some time ago.

Ian wink.gif

post #18 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me get this straight: You were paying $6/mo for two-at-a-time Blu-Rays plus 5 hours of streaming, and now you are paying $6/mo for two-at-a-time Blu-Rays and zero streaming. Meanwhile, I (and many others) who have been customers for a long time yet for some reason were NOT grandfathered into your insanely cheap plan are paying $18/mo for one-a-time Blu-Rays and unlimited streaming? Also, you apparently have the option of paying the $8 more per month to get unlimited streaming, something which you admit has little value to you?

I'm just trying to get the facts.

I can understand trying to cut deals with Cablecos, when the monthly subscriptions can be in the $150+ range, but it seems petty to try and call Netflix about a few dollars/mo. I cancelled cable years ago, and have completely replaced it with Netflix and an antenna. I'm getting my money's worth. Oh, and a Roku these days is very cheap to get access to HD and 5.1.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Let me get this straight: You were paying $6/mo for two-at-a-time Blu-Rays plus 5 hours of streaming, and now you are paying $6/mo for two-at-a-time Blu-Rays and zero streaming. Meanwhile, I (and many others) who have been customers for a long time yet for some reason were NOT grandfathered into your insanely cheap plan are paying $18/mo for one-a-time Blu-Rays and unlimited streaming? Also, you apparently have the option of paying the $8 more per month to get unlimited streaming, something which you admit has little value to you?

I'm just trying to get the facts.

I can understand trying to cut deals with Cablecos, when the monthly subscriptions can be in the $150+ range, but it seems petty to try and call Netflix about a few dollars/mo. I cancelled cable years ago, and have completely replaced it with Netflix and an antenna. I'm getting my money's worth. Oh, and a Roku these days is very cheap to get access to HD and 5.1.

You do make me sound a bit petty. (hey who side are you on?, I was looking for sympathy here...) I do pay $6/mo for 2 Blu-rays a month... (currently 5hours of stream time, but that ends 8/1)

However a few more dollars a month is a few more dollars a month I don't wish to spend. All these companies are nickel and diming us to death. An $8 streaming plan is Approx $100/year BTW... I do carry a Cablecard with my Xfinity/Comcast provider still, so I still pay for that service. We watch lots of CableTV yet, so I'm not cutting that line. I guess I haven't thought about how cheap the Roku really is. I've heard they are as low as like $50 right? However as our streaming plan is ending by 8/1... I prolly will not go that route for now, and let it die.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

DISC

STREAMING

Edited to add plan

My account still shows me on the unlimited streaming on up to four devices at $7.99. I never chose this but they allow me to stream on up to four concurrent devices for the same price as two.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #21 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do carry a Cablecard with my Xfinity/Comcast provider still, so I still pay for that service. We watch lots of CableTV yet, so I'm not cutting that line..
I suggest taking a look at what you watch on Cable. I myself am very heavily sports oriented, and I do just fine without my cable subscription. I don't miss it.

One month of not having cable effectively pays for an entire year of Netflix streaming AND a Roku device to watch it on.

post #22 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

My account still shows me on the unlimited streaming on up to four devices at $7.99. I never chose this but they allow me to stream on up to four concurrent devices for the same price as two.

The 4 device plan is new, I'm sure they'll straighten it out soon.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

I suggest taking a look at what you watch on Cable. I myself am very heavily sports oriented, and I do just fine without my cable subscription. I don't miss it.

One month of not having cable effectively pays for an entire year of Netflix streaming AND a Roku device to watch it on.
I know there a lot of you folks that swear by your stream-only service, but nope... not cutting the cable yet. And others that say that nothing that is good on. We regularly watch Hallmark,Disney,Lifetime, and our local stations, quite regularly. Our local stations carry stuff like America's got talent, Idol, X-factor, ... you name it... Don't forget USA NetWork's shows...
post #24 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know there a lot of you folks that swear by your stream-only service, but nope... not cutting the cable yet. And others that say that nothing that is good on. We regularly watch Hallmark,Disney,Lifetime, and our local stations, quite regularly. Our local stations carry stuff like America's got talent, Idol, X-factor, ... you name it... Don't forget USA NetWork's shows...
For the locals, I do have an antenna, so I'm not hurting for live content.

As far as regularly watching the channels you listed, I also regularly eat whatever's on my plate, spend whatever is in my wallet, and leave the lights on in a room I just left. Do I "need" to do any of these things? Nope, and you'll find your life is a lot more simple without watching that latest episode of Honey Boo-Boo. I used to watch all that trash on the cable networks, but in the two years without cable I haven't missed it like I thought I would.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page