Netflix Started Skipping (?) by Minutes Instead of Seconds...?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-22-2013, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if the title makes sense, but I have been a user of Netflix for quite sometime now and just noticed a significant change. When scrolling/skipping/fast-forwarding/rewinding or whatever you want to call it, Netflix has always gone in ~10 second intervals. Last night I noticed for the first time that these intervals have grown significantly. While watching a TV show such as Lost, it will scroll through at 5 minute intervals. When watching a movie, it goes at 10 minute intervals.

Is this something they changed with their system? Is there a way I can go back to ~10 second intervals? I use Netflix through my Panasonic ST30 TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72

Hmm...is the Netflix app the ''PS3 style'', with rows of genre categories that you arrow back and forth? The app version was recently updated on the PS3. There are-and always has been, 3 speeds for ff/rewinding, on the 3 devices I have (Insignia blu ray, PS3 & Roku).

Perhaps you're pressing the remote button a little too hard and it's jumping to the 3rd ff speed? Try doing multiple presses while either ff/rewinding and see if the speed changes?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Hmm...is the Netflix app the ''PS3 style'', with rows of genre categories that you arrow back and forth? The app version was recently updated on the PS3. There are-and always has been, 3 speeds for ff/rewinding, on the 3 devices I have (Insignia blu ray, PS3 & Roku).
Perhaps you're pressing the remote button a little too hard and it's jumping to the 3rd ff speed? Try doing multiple presses while either ff/rewinding and see if the speed changes?

Yes, your description of the PS3 style app for Netflix seems similar to that of my Panasonic TV.

The TV has always only had one FF/RW speed, and that was in ~10 second intervals like I previously mentioned. I tried pressing the "skip" buttons on my universal remote for various lengths and "firmness," but the only interval it scrolls at is 5-10 mins. (for TV shows/movies, respectively).

post #4 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You're using a universal remote rather than the one that came with the TV? Well how about trying the TV's remote? Perhaps that may be the problem? The (possible) recent update-which I don't know if it applied to the same style apps outside of the PS3, may have affected the ff/rewind codes on your universal remote.

They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're using a universal remote rather than the one that came with the TV? Well how about trying the TV's remote? Perhaps that may be the problem? The (possible) recent update-which I don't know if it applied to the same style apps outside of the PS3, may have affected the ff/rewind codes on your universal remote.

The arrow buttons on my TV's remote do the same thing - 5/10 minute intervals - but the actual FF/RW buttons allow you to fast forward or rewind the shows/movies like a VCR/DVD/Bluray player would do.

While this^ solves the problem of needing to RW just a few seconds to catch something that I missed, I would still like to know why the change was made. Was there a Netflix update across the board? Does Netflix automatically update itself when you sign on? Because I haven't done any updates through my TV, ever. If it is some setting that may have accidentally/automatically been changed, can/how do I cahange it back?

post #6 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

This version of the Netflix app can be automatically updated directly by NF, without having to send out a download that the user manually initiates. Such updates cannot be rolled back.

You will need to contact them directly-on their twitter page or by phone, and report to them that the codes for your universal remote are no longer properly handling ff/rewind after a possible update to the app.

They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, you learn something new everyday...I just tried the arrow buttons on my Insignia blu ray player while watching Netflix, and it jumps ahead and back 5 minutes...This cannot be new, since this Insignia has an older NF app, and firmware.

Never used the arrow buttons while streaming before. A pleasant surprise indeed.

They're not com-tastic!
post #8 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, you learn something new everyday...I just tried the arrow buttons on my Insignia blu ray player while watching Netflix, and it jumps ahead and back 5 minutes...This cannot be new, since this Insignia has an older NF app, and firmware.
Never used the arrow buttons while streaming before. A pleasant surprise indeed.

Interesting. I wonder why mine is doing this all of a sudden!

post #9 of 19 Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
The Netflix app on my Samsung player is different from the Sony. The Samsung would show thumnails and was easier to locate a segment I wanted to view. The Sony app can be unpredictable. I know I would like to see both DVD/BD playing and streaming playing work like cable DVR with 30 second ahead skips and 15 second back ("what was that they said?"). Or at least break things into the original chapters (not just 5 minute skips) which is doable too.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To the original poster, it is a Netflix issue 100%.

I had the same problem with my LG BD570 Blueray player for almost a week now, and after two calls to Netflix, they are now confirming that it is a Netflix server issue and they are working hard to address it.

BTW, I mentioned your Panasonic TV model number (ST30) and they added it to the (long) list of affected devices.

Hopefully they fix it soon.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longusername View Post

To the original poster, it is a Netflix issue 100%.

I had the same problem with my LG BD570 Blueray player for almost a week now, and after two calls to Netflix, they are now confirming that it is a Netflix server issue and they are working hard to address it.

BTW, I mentioned your Panasonic TV model number (ST30) and they added it to the (long) list of affected devices.

Hopefully they fix it soon.

Awesome...thank you so much for the info, and for telling them the problem was happening with my ST30 as well!

post #12 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Same exact problem here with 10 minutes jumps. Called Customer Service, 1st phone call to service tech (6/22/13) (of course) said she'd 'never heard of that problem'. Called again 6/25, this service tech said "Never heard of the problem'. Why does Netflx either- such a low opinion of their customers that they routinely lie to them - or - such poor communication with their service tech's that a 3+ day old problem is unknown to them? I am not happy that the 1st technician told me to change the updates on my blueray player, and also suggested buying a newer unit!!! - Thankfully, I did not waste the money, but did cancel netflix until they remedy the situation.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 07:31 PM

- after talking to the 2nd tech he Finally admitted to "finding a report on the problem and that it was being worked on'.
Unfortunately I no longer know if Netflix Customer Service is telling the truth or lying, since they've lied before.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It is worth noting that not all CSR are informed of various complaints that customers call in reporting. It's entirely possible that the person you spoke with was being honest and didn't know that this was a problem, and we have no idea how widespread it is. ''Ktrain''s post is the first mention of this I've seen, and there have been no flood of posts anywhere that I've seen.

I realize it's frustrating, but jumping to the conclusion that you were being lied to is a bit extreme. It was indeed dumb for them to suggest you buy a new player...excoriate them for that if you'd like.

John Hoyle likes this.

They're not com-tastic!
post #15 of 19 Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 AM

This started to happen to me as well. It is super duper annoying.

I stream NF with a LG bluRay player.

I an rewinding 12 minutes at a time now instead of 10 seconds.

GRR!

FIX IT FOR ME NOW!
post #16 of 19 Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Well, I forgot to check this on my player but I'll check tonight since I fell asleep on a movie last night and will need to back up to where I started to fall asleep. biggrin.gif
post #17 of 19 Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Just weighing in- I am also having this problem on an insignia NS-WBRDVD2.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 PM

This same problem started on my LG BD570 intermittently about a month ago and progressively got worse. Would ff 3 mins, then 4 mins, then 3 mins, etc. On 6/23, I reported it to NF, they said they had never heard of it, had me reinitialize NF and a few other things. Finally told me it's a LG issue.

Spent an hour with LG support, updating firmware, reinitializing, etc. finally tech told me machine needed repairing. I didn't believe him. Since the firmware update now I fast forward in 6 min increments.

Found this website and called NF back. Asked tech if she was familiar with problem, she said no. Inquired why wast it then I was reading multiple posts online with people who have called NF to report this same issue and all of us are told that NF has not heard of it?? She persisted and so did I. I really persisted. Finally she spoke to a supervisor and came back and said this is a known problem, they are working on it.

The take away? Call NF and persist. Make sure that they get your model number so they know which devices are being affected. Make sure they know we want a fix ASAP. If you don't let them know how it is affecting your model, a fix may take longer or not come.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Scanning thru posts on Netflix' twitter page, there was mention that this ff/rewind 5 min skipping had been fixed. Check out your players and see if it's back to normal for you.

They're not com-tastic!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page