Netflix /Silverlight tips how to force HD play manual bit rate selection diagnostics and KB shortcuts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 377
FORCE HD on NETFLIX EDIT:

PC
Set Netflix Silverlight Bit Rate on PC easy way

While a netflix video is playing (not full screen ) you can also have the mouse pointer on the video in a clear spot away from (above) progress bar and hold down the shift and alt keys only while left clicking on mouse
this will open up an dialog box you can select stream manager there.

For some reason I could not find this exact procedure on the web I figured this out (more likely on accident) when trying some that I read about . I use this all the time in WMC or Browser. Everybody else was saying 3 or 4 keystrokes + clicking mouse or without clicking mouse ,while they will work it is not necessary if you would rather use mouse + 2 keys only

Usually ,2300- 4500 for 720p (see chart below ) or even better (4500 + for 1080p 6000+ for super HD 1080p if you have it ) NOTE : I have done min. HD as low as 2300 but it buffers and is not always stable there.
if have a 3mbps or less service just use the highest one visible or automatic. You *can get stable HD on solid 3mbps conn it will not be 1080p however 720p will be it and it will ramp up slow and if you move progress bar forget it you will forever be in buffer world. .

1.0 - 2.3 Mb/s for SD — Standard definition video

2.3 Mb/s - 4.5 Mbs for HD — High definition 720p resolution video

4.5 Mb/s - 9 Mb/s for HDX — Full high definition 1080p resolution video and high definition audio 6 Mbps + for Netflix super HD
open connect is no longer required for netflix super HD (high bitrate 1080p)

Over 9 Mb/s for 3-D HD movies

Netflix Doubles Video Quality Making 6Mbps SuperHD Streams Available To Everyone
Consumers using ISPs that aren’t in Netflix’s Open Connect program, have to date, been shut of out getting Netflix’s best video quality, dubbed “SuperHD”. But starting today, Netflix announced that all consumers can now get SuperHD quality, on limited devices, even if their ISP doesn’t participate in Netflix’s Open Connect initiative. Netflix only has a limited amount of content available in SuperHD and not all devices support it, but for the ones that do, SuperHD content will now be streamed at double the quality before.

Previously, Netflix highest quality video, available to those with ISPs not in the Open Connect program, was encoded at 3850Kbps. With SuperHD, video is encoded at 4300Kbps and 5800Kbps and adding the audio bitrate brings SuperHD encodes to about 4.5Mbps and 6.0Mbps. Netflix is essentially doubling the quality of their video, for a limited amount of their content. Currently any 1080p version of Apple TV and Roku supports SuperHD as well as the PS3, Nintendo Wii U, TiVo Premiere and Windows 8 app. Note that SuperHD is not available via computer browsers and can only be seen on the PC for those that use the Windows 8 app.
read more
http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2013/...-everyone.html

MAC
MAC (Ctrl+Shift+Option+S for Mac) : Stream Manger (Stream bit rate; Manual rate selection)

Alt PC method

PC Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S or Shift +Alt+ Left Click

To use the following shortcuts, you  may or may not have to  exit Full Screen Mode:

Keyboard shorcuts
F : To enable Full Screen Mode
Esc : To exit Full Screen Mode
PgUp : Play
PgDn : Pause
Space or Enter : Toggle between Play and Pause
Ctrl+Space : Pauses movie and shows and enters Key Frame Viewer; use arrow keys to fast forward or rewind.

NOTE: click manual set in dialog box set 1750 or higher works good for HD
Video may play at lower resolution for a few minutes then buffer for HD while still playing then play HD you may or may not have to do this with every HD movie YMMV .
This is for Netflix in Chrome or Firefox browser should work same in IE. I have not tried this in Netflix for WMC .

No Joy on Amazon Prime . on there you have to have a "compatible device "

Additional Silverlight Netflix Shortcuts

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M (Ctrl+Shift+Option+M for Mac) : Access the Diagnostics Menu

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D (Ctrl+Shift+Option+D for Mac) : A/V stats

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+P (Ctrl+Shift+Option+P for Mac) : Player info

Note: To close any of the above windows, simply repeat the keyboard shortcut.
or close dialog box with mouse.

source: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/7854/netflix-movie-player-use-keyboard-shortcuts-when-viewing-watch-instantly-videos/

NOTE: On Netflix page you can select Watch Instantly + SHOW HD for PC / Mac or SHOW ALL HD works on both.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I just say I love you for this:D:D:)smile.gif
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 695
I didn't realize that everyone didn't know about these biggrin.gif.

A couple of notes. In the website player, you have to click the picture to give it keyboard focus. The player will not respond to the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT commands when in full-screen mode, though if you bring up one of the overlay displays it will remain up when you switch to full-screen.

1750 Kbps is 480x720 which is not HD.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I didn't realize that everyone didn't know about these biggrin.gif.

A couple of notes. In the website player, you have to click the picture to give it keyboard focus. The player will not respond to the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT commands when in full-screen mode, though if you bring up one of the overlay displays it will remain up when you switch to full-screen.

1750 Kbps is 480x720 which is not HD.

Thanks. No wonder why I could not get the info to display when watching on the website. I tried with when I had the videos full screen. The W8 App worked with the commands fine.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 10:10 PM

Cant get the diagnostics menu to open. using PC and not in full screen mode.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefortytwo View Post

Make sure the pointer is not in video window and click the mouse with the cursor in the thin black space between the video and bottom of the browser frame. Then press the 4 buttons CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefortytwo View Post

You have to left-click the picture area to give it keyboard focus.

post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I will repeat my fist post in simpler terms
It is just like michael scott says or otherwise you can also :

PC
Set Netflix Silverlight Bit Rate on PC easy way
using just a mouse

While a netflix video is playing (not full screen ) you can also have the mouse pointer on the video in a clear spot ( edit on the movie as it plays ) away from (above) progress bar at the same time hold down the shift and alt keys only while left clicking on mouse
this will open up an dialog box you can select stream manager there.

For some reason I could not find this exact procedure on the web I figured this out (more likely on accident) when trying some that I read about . I use this all the time in WMC or Browser. Everybody else was saying 3 or 4 keystrokes + clicking mouse or without clicking mouse ,while they will work it is not necessary if you would rather use mouse + 2 keys only .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Click anywhere on the picture itself before typing the command. It's as simple as that. You can click the header of the window and it won't work; you have to click the picture.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM

Is this corrected in Win 8 8.1? I have been searching silverlight discussion for a way to have silverlight do this automatically. I use PlayLater recorder, which should be able to record in 720p but no matter how long I let a movie run in IE at HD, I can not get the buffering to work with Playlater which works without opening IE, so no way to access manual buffering setting. I was hoping that using this setting through IE and playing long enough in HD might force it to default to that.

BTW, when you check manual buffering, if you want HD immediately drag time played to beginning of movie. It will not start until bufferer is ready for HD Play.

Any ideas for Win 7"

Do you still need to buffer in Windows 8? From what I have read it is not an issue

The commands seem to work in win 7 full screen now.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page