Netflix Failure on Panasonic 2012 HDTV TCL 42ET5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was unsure where to post this - Netflix under the Video Download Services & Hardware has 43 pages of threads. Maybe I should post it under the Panasonic heading??

NetFlix quit loading on Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013 using the Viera connect on my Panasonic HDTV TCL 42ET5. Other Viera connect internet apps work – for instance HuluPlus streams A-OK the last episode of Grimm from NBC. TV software current version is 1.230. Unknown, but unlikely, that a new version was recently installed automatically.

When NetFlix is selected from the TV’s Viera connect menu, it attempts to start/load showing spinning circles with the word loading. Then the red bar with NETFLIX in the center appears with the rectangular grey loading ‘bar’ moving underneath the word Netflix. Next the screen just returns to the TV’s Viera Connect menu without any error messages.

Contacted NetFlix by telephone on Thursday, July 4th, 2013. A rep from Texas assisted me checking out the issue. He suggested trying the reset while NetFlix starts by pressing the directional keys of up-up, down-down, left-right, left-right, up-up-up-up. It did not work.

I reset all my home networking equipment – cable modem, router, etc. – it did not solve issue. Incidentally, I have my HDTV hardwired via an ethernet cable to the internet. My latest Speedtest.net results average a maximum download speed of just over 15Mbps.

I also used the TV’s Setup menu Reset to defaults and tried to restart NetFlix – same results as above. Other Viera Connect application still work, albeit that I had to re-link the HuluPlus, YouTube, etc. accounts.

However, my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blue ray player, which also uses Viera Connect and it is also connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable will load my NetFlix account. However, it loaded strangely with the TV’s screen getting filled with solid red colors before Netflix finally loads ok via the DMP-BDT220 player and streams ok. However, although I can watch Netflix via Panasonic’s blue ray player I want it back up on the HDTV.

My opinion is that the issue resides with Panasonic. I will be contacting them shortly and informing Netflix of all my latest findings.

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.

""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Connecting via your Blu Ray player tells your network is working properly.

Probably an issue with the app on the tv.

Contacting Panasonic is probably the best approach to getting the issue resolved.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Amazing. It is now 3 days, July 9th, Tuesday, since I posted about the NetFlix 'outage' with my Panasonic's Viera Connect portal. In preparation for my contacting Panasonic with my outage report, I just tried it again this afternoon and it now works! Nothing on my end has changed. Still the same ethernet cable connecting to my Charter 15Mbps service, etc.

I did not try any further troubleshooting steps since 3 days ago. However, I did try connecting to NetFlix once or twice during those 3 days without any success while my blue-ray player's Viera Connect NetFlix continued to work. However, this afternoon trying my HDTV's NetFlix portal - voila! I had to sign back into my NetFlix account then it started to work.

Now my questions become stranger:
  • If only my NetFlix Panasonic HDTV TCL 42ET5 Viera Connect portal quit working how did it mysteriously fix itself when/while the other online Viera apps worked?
  • If other users Viera Connect NetFlix app quit why no reports?
  • Where is the exact detailed explanation of how these streaming video apps work?

jef with a Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5540, a Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMPBDT220 & a Panasonic 3D TCL42ET5 HDTV.

""Educate & inform the . . . people . . . They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." --Thomas Jefferson, 1787."

post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46

If the apps on the Panasonic HDTV go thru some portal at Panasonic to reach the actual site, then there may have been communication issues between the app and portal that caused your lack of connection with Netflix.

And those issues have apparently sorted themselves out. Some tweaking (manual or automatically) at either portal or Netflix must have occurred.

I've read of some apps having to pass thru a manufacturer's hub/portal, but I'm not familiar with Panasonic Veira Connect setup to say whether NF and the other embedded apps have their communications going thru a corporate hub or direct contact to their service owners.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page