Reformatting my external hard drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a toshiba external hard drive. It was working on my laptop, but I used it and downloaded movies from my DVR (DISH Network)
and it reformatted my hard drive. Now my laptop doesn't read the hard drive anymore. What can I do to fix this or can it be fixed since it's been reformatted?? And if it can be fixed, will I be able to download movies from my DVR (and) use it on my laptop? I'm not as electronically inclined as most so any help anyone can give will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmex2 View Post

I have a toshiba external hard drive. It was working on my laptop, but I used it and downloaded movies from my DVR (DISH Network)
and it reformatted my hard drive. Now my laptop doesn't read the hard drive anymore. What can I do to fix this or can it be fixed since it's been reformatted?? And if it can be fixed, will I be able to download movies from my DVR (and) use it on my laptop? I'm not as electronically inclined as most so any help anyone can give will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
My first question would be, can the dvr pull files off the drive and make use of them. If it can the drive is still OK but you would want to use it as an external drive for the DVR only. In order to use it for the laptop it could be reformated but it wouldn't work with the DVR. DVR's dont run on Mac or Windows so when the DVR saw the external disc it reformated it to suit it needs.
If the drive is OK then you have to decide what device you want to use it for.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Plug the drive into your PC.
Go to Disk Management in Windows, find the drive. It may only need to have a drive letter assigned if the volume shows up as expected. If it shows as unallocated space, then you just go ahead and create a new volume and format that. A lot depends on what you find in Disk Management.

Probably you need to choose between using it one way or the other.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page