Google - Chromecast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Looks like a new streamer (from Google this time) is coming on the market. Story has been posted on many internet sites including AVS Forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two

Do I need to buy another streamer when I already have four of them? No, but for $35 it's tempting. wink.gif

-G

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Do I need to buy another streamer when I already have four of them? No, but for $35 it's tempting. wink.gif

-G
I don't need one either, but it would be great to take with me on the road for streaming Netflix in a hotel or something. Can't beat the price, especially after you consider the 3 mo. of free Netflix. It's also good for folks who don't have a Roku, BD player or smart TV already. There are probably quite a few who balk at a $100 streaming device who'd have no problem with an $11 one (after freebies). I've wanted a Roku for years but have never been willing to pay $100 for a decent model. The low-res ones aren't worth having IMO. This little device is a great alternative.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Yeah, I have reconsidered getting this little bugger since learning it needs to be plugged in if your HDTV does not provide power via the USB ports.

Also the 3 free months of Netflix (which I don't need) have been eliminated.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 21 Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Some owners have reported that just HDMI power works fine on newer TVs. This is my experience with HDMI powered switches as well. Can any other owners confirm?
post #5 of 21 Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
According to reports, the free Netflix wasn't eliminated as much as they used up all their promo codes.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #6 of 21 Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I got one to fool around with off Bestbuy.com (w/the Netflix code) so I'll be posting my impressions of it when it shows up.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I got one from a local Best Buy Friday morning including the Netflix promo - so net cost is ~$11.

Netflix and YouTube streaming seem to work fine (I can start the streaming from my iPhone, iPad etc).

Casting from Chrome only works from Windows machines, Macs, and the Chromebook Pixel so far. (so not from IOS devices).

None of my PCs meet the minimum requirements https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en

Best I have is a Windows 7 PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7550 (2.25GHz) - and casting from Chome on this PC looks like a slideshow (very jerky slow frame rate).

I didn't really need another Netflix streamer - but having a good streamer for YouTube is great - especially being able to use an IOS device to search, queue and start watching titles is useful.

It is a shame the minimum requirements for Windows machines is so high - streaming websites from Chrome would have been useful.

Running Windows 7 on an Intel Core 2 Duo E7550 (2.25GHz) meets all my other needs so no plans to upgrade this any time soon.

I am using an HDMI (V1.4a) input on my AVR and power it from a nearby power outlet.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-05-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
I got mine. Pain in the ass to setup correctly from an iPad because there is no iOS setup app.

Anyways, I finally got it set up and basically it does what it's supposed to do, works through a HDMI 4x2 Matrix switch, even gives DD+ from an iPad from Netflix. I don't really have much use for it right now but it's kind of a neat toy. For just YouTube and Netflix it's really not worth the $11.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I got mine. Pain in the ass to setup correctly from an iPad because there is no iOS setup app.

Anyways, I finally got it set up and basically it does what it's supposed to do, works through a HDMI 4x2 Matrix switch, even gives DD+ from an iPad from Netflix. I don't really have much use for it right now but it's kind of a neat toy. For just YouTube and Netflix it's really not worth the $11.
And with Apple being such a closed system and Google's Android being its competitor I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the iPad to get the features that other platforms already have.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

And with Apple being such a closed system and Google's Android being its competitor I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the iPad to get the features that other platforms already have.
Besides the initial setup (which works perfectly fine in Chrome on iOS), what features are missing exactly? Works fine for me on my iOS devices.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No 5ghz support is a no buy for me. 2.4ghz is so crowded in my area that all I can use it for is wireless printing.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

It's pretty simple to set up on iOS using Chrome, slightly more of a headache than using a desktop browser, but mostly b/c switching wifi networks on iOS is so ungainly. I'd be surprised if they didn't release an app eventually, but the SDK isn't even finished.

"not worth the $11"

I gotta disagree. It's the #1 easiest way to watch netflix and youtube videos, if you like doing those things and aren't 100% sold on your current method, I can't see how $30 is too much to try the Chromecast. It works very well at any price, and for a device so cheap it's a no-brainer.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I am a fan of it.... had it about a week and will be buying one for every tv in the house. For the music aspect alone through google music its worth it (esp if they add a play all feature).

The one thing I haven't been able to verify is if chromecast supports superhd and there is no way to really tell what quality you are getting.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar View Post

I am a fan of it.... had it about a week and will be buying one for every tv in the house. For the music aspect alone through google music its worth it (esp if they add a play all feature).

The one thing I haven't been able to verify is if chromecast supports superhd and there is no way to really tell what quality you are getting.
Just play the Example Short and you'll see the max bitrate you're getting.
post #15 of 21 Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Just play the Example Short and you'll see the max bitrate you're getting.

Possibly. Every version of "Example Short 23.976" does not have the burned bit-rate/resolution information. When I play it on the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 it's not there; it is for everything else I own, I think. EDIT: Not there when I play it on my Android phone either (HTC One V), though it is on my original recipe Nexus 7.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #16 of 21 Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I can confirm it shows on Chromecast though.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Interesting. I can confirm it shows on Chromecast though.

I assume that you do not have Super HD. Does it get up to the 3850 Kbps 1080p encode?

post #18 of 21 Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I assume that you do not have Super HD. Does it get up to the 3850 Kbps 1080p encode?

Mike the Chromecast does show burned bit-rate/resolution information on Comcast I get 3850 kbps and I have seen people who have Open Connect post they get 5800 kbps.

It ramps pretty quickly - faster than a Roku 2 but slower than an Apple TV.
post #19 of 21 Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed something interesting that I also posted in another Chromecast thread. In iOS in the Youtube and Netflix apps, when streaming, you can pick a device to "cast" to, usually locally to your phone or remotely to the Chromecast. But I also noticed my Sony 1100 blu-ray player in that list. So I can cast to it, and control it from my phone exactly the same way as the Chromecast. So I can do just about everything Chromecast does with my BD player. The casting part was the one feature I thought my BD player lacked, but this turned out not to be the case.

If you have such a player, give it a try. My son discovered it by accident when the Chromecast was off but our BD player was on. He wanted to show me a video but the only thing in the cast list on his phone was our BD player. So he tried it and it worked just like Chromecast. My router also shows up in the list of devices you can cast to, but I haven't figured out what it does, if anything.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Liked: 11
For Netflix, Chrome Cast seems to offer better audio streams when being controlled via a Android tablet vs iPhone or iPads.

Using my 7" Samsung galaxy tablet, my receiver lighted up the HD Audio logo (Dolby Digital +) when streaming some movies. It sounds very nice! The audio/close-captioning selection dialog also shows DD as audio stream.

However, if I use my iPad or iPhone, I only get stereo!! The audio selection screen only shows Stereo!

Suffice to say, this is an interesting find, and I'll be using my Android tablet to control Netflix on ChromeCast from now on! (My other devices, Roku, Sony Blue-ray player, none of them seems to get the HD audio stream). Video quality on the ChromeCast is very good. It starts out a bit crappy, but will automatically change to HD after a short while.

So for me, the ChromeCast has become my best Netflix option:

1. Supports HD Audio stream when applicable!
2. Supports Closed Captioning! I've been wanting this for a while!
3. Great Video Quality

Cheers!
post #21 of 21 Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post

(My other devices, Roku, Sony Blue-ray player, none of them seems to get the HD audio stream).

What model Sony BDP and Roku player do you have? Roku 2/LT/HD(2500X), Roku 3 and my 2012 Sony BDP-S390 all support DD+ 5.1 sound and captions/subtitles.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page