Best current Blu-Ray player for Netflix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-02-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
As all of you know I have been using my PS3 Slim and Roku 3 for Netflix. The Roku 3 is the worst of all of them for playing Netflix. The GUI is the ugliest thing I have ever set my eyes on. It has no features including the just announced profiles. No Netflix Kids. It does not even tell you the quality of the stream or time remaining. Also it can't handle latency and performance sometimes suffers during peak hours as I sometimes can't get a HD stream.

As for the PS3 it is great but it is more of a power hog for Netflix which is why I got the Roku 3 and regret it as I am using the PS3 more. As I say I want to get rid of the Roku 3 and get a Blu-Ray player that has the same HTML5 GUI speed and reliability of the PS3. I also care about Amazon Instant too as I want that to also be reliable. Any suggestions would be great.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Sony BD players have the same GUI as PS3 but use a fraction of the power. I picked up a like new 1100 the other day for $50 and it works very well. It even works with a remote!

Chromecast is nice too. I can post more details in a few days.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-03-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Nothing else is going to run that GUI as fast and smoothly as the PS3 so you can give that up right now. The Sony BDPs' Netflix player have all of the major features, including Netflix Kids, the stream status display, user profiles, people search and your favorite, the "'Post-play' experience" biggrin.gif (it doesn't shrink the credits until they've run to the end). Their level of responsiveness to navigation commands is tolerable, though my S390 will start the sound before the video shows up and will run the video for a couple of seconds after it receives the command to stop. It will not instantly ramp up to the highest bit rate encodes like the PS3.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #4 of 19 Old 08-03-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

X100 series is quite a bit faster than the x90 series, ramping up almost immediately most of the time.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will stick with the PS3 as the Slim only uses about 80 watts. Thanks anyway.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just curious, do any of you plan to purchase the PS4 when it becomes available?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll probably get a PS4 eventually--gotta play the Naughty Dog exclusives--but I'll be going with the Xbox One at launch.

post #8 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

I will stick with the PS3 as the Slim only uses about 80 watts. Thanks anyway.

Have you considered a new Super-slim PS3, the top loading one? Looking at the specs, it looks like it consumes even less power than the Slim.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I honestly don't see the appeal of the PS3 for non-gamers. I was glad to get rid of mine when my kids lost interest in it. My 8.8 Watt Sony 1100 costs less than most PS3 IR-Bluetooth adapters.

I got my Chromecast in the mail today, and for $11, it does a great job with Netflix. Power is 2 Watts peak, 1 Watt at idle. And it's very portable. Now I can sell another one of my blu-ray players that was only being used for Netflix anyway.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about the Chromecast but then I found out it only does 2.4 Ghz and does not have a 5 Ghz which is no good for me. I have over 60 AP's on 2.4 Ghz in my area and even just streaming low bit rate music only about 2 meters from my router causes packet loss and dropouts.

Cats are the best pets.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 12
I have mostly Samsung blueray players in my house. the ps3 I have also. I guess i'm missing something or am still pretty far behind the times. reading these posts I see a lot of information I never thought of before like power consumption? hmmm... and then bandwidth? everything I have just works and works good. I didn't know there was that many issues associated with a blue ray player. i can run netflix on every tv in my house, play a game on my computer and have a different game going on my ps3 while streaming music on my zone 2 system and still not have any problems with buffering. of course i'm only running 720p. the local cable company HD service is only 720p. 1080 / 60hz is my best tv and all the others are 720p I guess it will become a bigger issue when I upgrade my video displays.

I look forward to learning more from all of you.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since the Roku will never get profiles or anything worth while as I was going to give my Roku to my Grandmother once she got a new TV I will most likely get here one of the BluRay players you recommend and keep my cruddy Roku 3 for Amazon Instant only.

Cats are the best pets.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45

Profiles are said to come to the Roku later. There was no explanation for the delay given in any of the blurbs I read.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #14 of 19 Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't hold my breath. Several significant features have passed Roku up (people search, Just for Kids, the "'Post-play' Experience"). There will no doubt be more pressure for this feature on Roku though.

post #15 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just asking how reliable are these BluRay players for Amazon Instant?

Cats are the best pets.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 08:20 AM

honestly man I think a lot of it has to do with your internet connection and the actual website you are working with. its been my experience that the website in question is usually the weak link in the chain. there could be differences in the equipment you are running, but all this talk about specifications that can only be measured with actual test equipment is a bit extreme in my opinion. either it works or it doesn't. it doesn't matter how good your equipment is if the source is weak. to stress out on the quality of your equipment is to assume that everything is perfect on the other end at all times which is something you can't know and can't control. I can tell you that i'm running a ps3 and cheaper Samsung blue ray players and I've never had a problem with buffering unless its the actual site that's having problems or my internet is having problems from my cable provider.

you might consider hardwiring your network connection rather than going wireless if you are on a wireless system. its been my experience that wireless is crap unless you are in the same room as the wireless router.

there are people that argue specs all the time and yes they may be on to something, but I think most of it is hogwash. signal transfer is where you should first look if you are having problems. 9 times out of 10 that's where the issue is in my experience.

post #17 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Just asking how reliable are these BluRay players for Amazon Instant?

I never cared for the Amazon player in the BDP-S390, though it worked and is full featured (5.1 sound and Watchlists, neither of which was implemented in the 2012 Panasonics' Amazon player). It also always starts streams quite slowly for me. I never used it much so I can't speak to its "reliability".

post #18 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you can see in my sig that I have my PS3 and Roku 3 hardwired. I never even attempted to run them wireless even thought wireless on the Roku 3 will run better since it has 5Ghz WiFi. With over 60 AP's in my neighborhood the only thing I can do wireless on 2.4 Ghz is printing.

Even my iPod touch runs only on 5Ghz because with 2.4Ghz I keep getting packet loss streaming low bitrate (AAC & aacPlus) music only about 2 meters in the same room as the router.

Cats are the best pets.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM

have you considered the possibility that it could be something else?

this is just me, but I try to use other people's setups to test my equipment sometimes to try to narrow it down if i'm trying to isolate a problem. example, have you tried hooking up a labtop computer to that Ethernet connection to see if there's a difference in performance? or possibly take some of your equipment to another person's house and try it there with their setup?

I think like this because I normally can't just go out and start replacing things. its not in the budget. I've run into problems where it was just a cable that was bad or something. it happens. i'm assuming that at some point it all worked correctly. I wish I could be of more help. I will follow these threads and learn with you.

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page