Can streaming TV shows be rented from anywhere? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Movies, when released for streaming, usually (not always) have 2 options - "purchase" and rental. If I am correct for new movies only "purchase" sometimes available first and rental often comes with some delay.

For TV shows, however, I see no rental options. For instance "Falling Skies" season 1 and 2 are available as a part of Amazon Prime program. Season 3, however, is only available for "purchase". I have no interest in "buying" it because I am not likely to watch it again (and I also refuse to "purchase" any media that requires internet connection for playback).

Are there any streaming providers where latest seasons of shows can be rented for the price smaller than the "purchase"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
You should be able to watch online through various means beside amazon (ie actual broadcast channel). A lot of this revolves around the studios now mandating that a certain period be instated on certain shows, to help drive up the demand for that show, but also to drive up demand for hard copies of the program, before it goes out as digital streaming online.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
For TV shows, however, I see no rental options. For instance "Falling Skies" season 1 and 2 are available as a part of Amazon Prime program. Season 3, however, is only available for "purchase".
Tomayto, tomahto. 10 episodes for $1.59 each. Buy them, watch them, consider them rented. rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

I have no interest in "buying" it because I am not likely to watch it again

For TV shows, they either have to sell the shows as a purchase or as a buffet style (Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix), because to "rent" them, they'd be like a dime each, and there's no profit in that.

$1.59 per episode is actually cheap, since the norm is $2 per on places like iTunes.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

For TV shows, they either have to sell the shows as a purchase or as a buffet style (Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix), because to "rent" them, they'd be like a dime each, and there's no profit in that.

$1.59 per episode is actually cheap, since the norm is $2 per on places like iTunes.

Well not the dime really. I would rent it for, say, $8/season (10 episodes). This seems fair price, especially considering the show is not that good.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post

I would rent it for, say, $8/season (10 episodes).

Well, I don't see that happening, really. Most would probably front the other $8 just to have it. TV shows are just not a real hot rental commodity unless it's a must see show like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead, and even then only on DVD.

The last four episodes of season 3 are on the official website for free if you have certain cable/sat providers. Then you could spend $10 to watch the others.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page