streaming services - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know if this goes here but I just bought a Samsung Smart TV with Netflix, Pandora, etc. accessible on screen via my WiFi. If I access any of these services this way I would assume the signal goes directly to the TV. How do I send the signal to my receiver to utilize my surround sound rather than the TV speakers. How does the signal get there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hi ortho1121, depend what model receiver and tv you have.

If the receiver and smart tv has ARC (Audio Return Channel) feature then it can pass audio to the receiver via HDMI cable that is connected between the receiver and tv. You have to enable ARC on both units.

If it doesn't have ARC feature then connect an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver TV/CD jack.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

If it doesn't have ARC feature then connect an optical cable from tv "Digital Audio Out" to receiver TV/CD jack.

Yeah, this is what I currently use. Though I'm limited to Dolby Digital that way, so I use my blu-ray player for Dolby Digital Plus titles on Vudu.

For most services, optical will work fine.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 478
You're also not going to get surround sound out of Netflix via optical or coax S/PDIF (surround audio out on my television is coax), since Netflix's surround sound is also DD+. Does the television's Netflix player even offer a 5.1 sound option in titles' "Audio & subtitles" menus?

I should think that most if not all Samsung Smart TVs have HDMI 1.4 ARC support. If your AVR also has it, you're in business.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You're also not going to get surround sound out of Netflix via optical or coax S/PDIF (surround audio out on my television is coax), since Netflix's surround sound is also DD+.

Are all of Netflix's titles DD+? Not all of Vudu's titles are. (I tend to check the DD only titles on Vudu against Amazon, as Amazon is usually a dollar cheaper for the same movie.)

post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Are all of Netflix's titles DD+? Not all of Vudu's titles are. (I tend to check the DD only titles on Vudu against Amazon, as Amazon is usually a dollar cheaper for the same movie.)

Yep--all of them. They added 5.1 sound when they introduced the installed player on PS3 (October 2010); 1080p video and captions/subtitles came with it. You can see a PR about it here. Prior to that Netflix only had stereo sound, though Dolby Pro Logic surround encoding survives in most of it. Older PS3s can't bitstream DD+ from Netflix (or VUDU) but the PS3 can convert it to basic DD. Netflix players on BDPs can do that also; they have to be able to do it to output DD+, TrueHD, DTS-HD HR and DTS-HD MA on discs through S/PDIF. It's possible that the smart TV can do it as well.

Rokus don't process surround sound from anything; they don't license Dolby tech. People with AVRs incapable of decoding DD+ are SOL for digital surround out of Netflix on Rokus boxes.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Quote:

Yep--all of them.

Well maybe all of them apart from the Apple TV 5.1 Netflix encodes which are DD.

Back to the original ops question. ARC will work if supported by your receiver and TV.

In my case my Panasonic 55VT30 only sends stereo on the ARC output......

It is a shame because otherwise I would be using the Panasonic Amazon player to supplement my Apple TV

(well that would certainly be the case if the TV embedded streaming apps also supported the same picture controls as external sources. My calibrated settings or even the TV THX setting are not available for the embedded streaming apps......)
post #9 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Yep--all of them.

Some of the older titles aren't especially the SD versions. I recently watched Shane (1953) and it wasn't. The same can said for VUDU where some of the older titles are just stereo or mono stereo.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Quote:

Yep--all of them.

Some of the older titles aren't especially the SD versions. I recently watched Shane (1953) and it wasn't. The same can said for VUDU where some of the older titles are just stereo or mono stereo.

Only a small subset of Netflix titles has 5.1 sound (2552 of 11464 according to TVandMoviesNow.com, 22.26%). The majority of the titles without 5.1 sound can hardly be considered "older". Digital 5.1 sound, for those titles which have it, is always encoded as DD+ (except for ATV, as pointed out by undecided, AFAIK the only device which get basic DD). I assumed that Tulpa's question concerned only titles with 5.1 sound.

post #11 of 11 Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

Wouldn't the dollar difference in most cases be more a resolution difference of Amazon HD (720p) versus VUDU HD (1080p)?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page