Netflix Is Coming After Your Cable Box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I recently came across this story.

http://business.time.com/2013/10/01/netflix-is-coming-after-your-cable-box/

Quote:
Netflix has found a surprising ally as it tries to boost its subscriber base: cable operators. Firms that stand to be disrupted by Netflix’s distribution model are now working out deals to make the streaming service directly available through their own boxes.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I recently came across this story.

http://business.time.com/2013/10/01/netflix-is-coming-after-your-cable-box/


They can't even get major American cable operators to sign their ISP up for Open Connect. I have to agree with the article, that until Netflix can produce enough of their own quality content like HBO and Showtime, I don't see it taking off in the US.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Member
 
leeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: s.florida
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I already gave mine back to Comcast, and they can keep it.
smile.gif
leeb is offline  
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Member
 
passingbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's still early days yet to see how this works out for the cable companies. I'm with Virgin Media (VM) in the UK who were the first ones to do the Netflix deal and it is currently only available as a trial to 40,000 users. The rest of us should get it before the end of the year. I'm sure VM will be keeping an eye out to see whether adding Netflix causes people to go to a lower TV package and cut the Premium film subscriptions and movies on demand that are also available via the VM TV service. There is also rumour and speculation as to whether VM will include Netflix in one of their top end TV packages and cut out the free video on demand that is available for a selection of TV shows. Interesting times ahead.
passingbat is offline  
Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
My cable box is a TiVo with a CableCARD (and Tuning Adapter); Netflix. It was one of the very first devices with an embedded Netflix player (the 2nd; the first Roku box launched in May 2008 and TiVo's Netflix player in October of that year with the Xbox 360 coming in 3rd in November).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
undecided's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

My cable box is a TiVo with a CableCARD (and Tuning Adapter); Netflix. It was one of the very first devices with an embedded Netflix player (the 2nd; the first Roku box launched in May 2008 and TiVo's Netflix player in October of that year with the Xbox 360 coming in 3rd in November).

That's not quite the same as I think you know.

It is a Tivo box that with a DOCSIS CalebCard can also get and record cable.
undecided is offline  
Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Good catch on that article, today the news was caught by the financial community:
Netflix(NFLX) was up +$23.51 , I think it mostly due to the news that of the cable companies and putting netflix on their cable boxes. Netflix has got to be one of the wildest stock rides in the stock market.
rebkell is offline  
Old 10-14-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,868
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

It is a Tivo box that with a DOCSIS CalebCard can also get and record cable.

I wouldn't put it like that. When I bought my TiVo Series3 all it could do was tune and record cable via CableCARD (and OTA television via an antenna). At that time the cable companies were also required to use CableCARDs in their boxes (in an effort to get them to make a more earnest effort to support them) so the TiVo was little different.

But yeah, I know that they're not talking about TiVos.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Netflix is negotiating with Comcast to bring their service to cable boxes. Maybe that's why Comcast hasn't signed an agreement yet for Open Connect.



But is this a really good idea? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpsl2m_weighing-in-the-netflix-cable-partnership_tech



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Netflix is negotiating with Comcast to bring their service to cable boxes. Maybe that's why Comcast hasn't signed an agreement yet for Open Connect.



But is this a really good idea? http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpsl2m_weighing-in-the-netflix-cable-partnership_tech



Ian

Wow, I can't believe that Netflix has a 50% churn.
rebkell is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74

I find that figure difficult to believe. The streaming service is roughly 7 years old. The number of streaming users has gone up each year-never going lower than the previous year. That means... they'd have to have been replacing 50% (of each years' new total) of departing subs with new ones while adding another million, to account for the years' increases.

And given how this has been the most examined company in existence, that this info has never been reported anywhere, in any story at all. I wish he'd  said where the source of that 50% churn rate bit came from. :eek:


Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
Old 04-27-2014, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Looks like there is movement now.

Netflix to become real TV and get its own ‘cable channel’ next week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/04/24/netflix-to-become-real-tv-and-get-its-own-cable-channel-next-week/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't believe that's what netflix is doing. It's Taking OVER the Cable company. No one in their right mind is going to fork out $50 or more for Cable AND Pay for Netflix when at least 1/2 the shows on the cable are on netflix. What do they have to gain... not much? But Netflix has a bunch to gain, the are getting access to the programming on the Cable channel indirectly. So tech. they have access, they add the shows to their line up, buy out the Cable company because everyone realizes they are getting the same on both and than Netflix shuts down the cable end of the company
Very Smart!
fattybob is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Netflix' access to programming generated by broadcast and cable networks comes during the 'syndication' window, the period in which the producing studio can sell their shows after the contract period with the network ends, typically 12 months from the start of a show's season. The networks often allow corporate sibling cable nets to air in season episodes to promote the main network, but Netflix and other outleTs will not be allowed to purchase a currently airing show for streaming in the US during that show's season.

Hulu is owned by 3 of the broadcast networks, and is limited to showing the last 5 episodes of a current show by design. This was done to prop up Hulu as a viable competitor to Netflix, while protecting the dvd box set sales and later syndication rights of those shows.

Subscribing to both is not a big deal, as Netflix was created to augment your entertainment options, not replace a basic cable subscription.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Netflix' access to programming generated by broadcast and cable networks comes during the 'syndication' window, the period in which the producing studio can sell their shows after the contract period with the network ends, typically 12 months from the start of a show's season. The networks often allow corporate sibling cable nets to air in season episodes to promote the main network, but Netflix and other outleTs will not be allowed to purchase a currently airing show for streaming in the US during that show's season.

Hulu is owned by 3 of the broadcast networks, and is limited to showing the last 5 episodes of a current show by design. This was done to prop up Hulu as a viable competitor to Netflix, while protecting the dvd box set sales and later syndication rights of those shows.

Subscribing to both is not a big deal, as Netflix was created to augment your entertainment options, not replace a basic cable subscription.
Netflix is by design an HBO and Showtime alternative, but they need to produce more of their own content, and that will take some time since it requires the biggest investment.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off