Getting sick of Netflix pulling shows I like for new crap. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well Netflix pulled Murder She Wrote and I am ticked off about it. Lately they have been pulling shows I like so that they can add new crap mainly there crap originals which I don't care about. This is why the past month I have been buying DVD's because I know that I will own them forever. I don't have to worry about that they are there one day and the next day they are gone. Also I was going to get Netflix for my Grandmother so now that they pulled Murder She Wrote and even Monk which are her two favorite shows that she watches on cable they is no point of even getting her a BluRay player.

Long live optical physical media.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-17-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you keep an eye on your queue, you should get at least a week or so warning. They no longer offer the expiration information on their API, which was used by some 3rd party sites.

It's a bit hard to blame Netflix. It's the curse of streaming, as they are under the thumbs of the media companies. Whether they continue carrying something depends on how much it will cost, and how popular it is, not all that different than broadcast.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-17-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

It is not a curse of streaming. It is simply Content rotation, a reality of program acquistion for EVERY tv station, basic cable network,  and pay tv service. It's been this way for DECADES, and has nothing to do with Netflix adding originals-which are less than 10 at this point....

Netflix Instant Watch is, simply put, a pay tv service, no different than HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Starz, Encore, or Epix-with the obvious exception that Netflix does not program a schedule. Other than that, they are the same.

All are sold movies after the dvd sales period ends, and not before, which is why recent, newly released on disc films are not available.

Each enters into deals that provides them with exclusive content that blocks their competitors from obtaining and offering it, ensuring a significant number of subscribers won't switch to another service.

And the most important part relevant to the thread--ALL add content that runs for several months, and then, wait for it...GETS ROTATED OFF THE SCHEDULE FOR A FEW MONTHS, and usually is returned several months later. Something that shouldn't be new for a pay tv subscriber.

Netflix was alone in the streaming space, but now, many are jumping on the bandwagon seeking to emulate their success. Chief among them, the content owners that are owned by media companies that want a piece of the pie. Comcast, which owns NBC/Universal-which owns the 2 shows in question, created Streampix, which they want their customers to use instead of venturing outside their reservation. Guess what? ''Monk'' is there, and I'll bet you a cookie that Murder She Wrote will show up sooner than later. It has become something of a badge of honor for the newcomers to brag about acquiring something that's been previously available on Netflix.

Netflix' streaming service is not a permanent repository of tv series and movies. Deals expire, stuff comes and goes. This isn't something new that just started with the creation of Instant Watch. Physical media will always trump receiving content over any free or subscription television service.

Expire notices are placed online in our Queues 2 weeks before removal date-that is NOT enough time, and I think everyone would agree. They also appear on a titles' summary page on the PS3, Wii(?), Roku and some blu ray player apps.

Yes, 3rd sites used to receive expiring title data months in advance, and built dedicated websites incorporating vital infomation. Netflix stopped providing them this data alledgely, because the newcomers were using it to keep track of what was due to expire and go after it, bidding up the price for NF to retain it. I see no reason why a minimum 4 week notice couldn't be provided in our queues. That would at least curtail abuses by the competition, while giving subscribers ample time to finish a series.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 44 Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That is what annoys me when these companies create there own crappy streaming service. Cruddy low quality 720p video. Besides Vudu Netflix is the only provider that offers 1080p streams which look great.

Cats are the best pets.
post #5 of 44 Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

That is what annoys me when these companies create there own crappy streaming service. Cruddy low quality 720p video. Besides Vudu Netflix is the only provider that offers 1080p streams which look great.

Even most Vudu and Neflix 720p streams look great.

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Well Netflix pulled Murder She Wrote and I am ticked off about it. Lately they have been pulling shows I like so that they can add new crap mainly there crap originals which I don't care about. This is why the past month I have been buying DVD's because I know that I will own them forever. I don't have to worry about that they are there one day and the next day they are gone. Also I was going to get Netflix for my Grandmother so now that they pulled Murder She Wrote and even Monk which are her two favorite shows that she watches on cable they is no point of even getting her a BluRay player.

Long live optical physical media.

I've been watching those two shows as well, very disappointing but I have placed a bunch of the DVDs in the Queue. Not nearly as convenient but I'll still get to see them all.
post #7 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Everytime I see this crap.

It really peeves me off. Now I have to pay 8 bucks more to get a scratched up DVD which might not play just because they don't stream the show anymore. I was half way through season 8.

Screw this I just buy more series on disc like I have been doing anyway. The problem though is that they don't sell Murder She Wrote on BluRay nether Monk either so there is no other way to get it in HD. Netflix sucks lately but they don't care about renewing contracts unless it is edgy mature rated crap originals or edgy mature rated AMC and FX crap series.

At least I still have Eureka for now at least. I just started season 3. Also Hercules and Xena I am about half way though too.
If they pull them before I can finish it I will call them up and give them a peace of my mind and might cancel out of spite.

Cats are the best pets.
post #8 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Even most Vudu and Neflix 720p streams look great.

Ian wink.gif

I can easily see the difference between 720p and 1080p content on any size screen at any distance. I do wear glasses for distance (myopia) if anyone can't maybe they need glasses then.

Cats are the best pets.
post #9 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 714
It looks like TVLand has Muder She Wrote now. They are broadcasting it and also have five at a time available to stream for a short time.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #10 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can easily see the difference between 720p and 1080p content on any size screen at any distance. I do wear glasses for distance (myopia) if anyone can't maybe they need glasses then.

I wear special prescription classes for distance and TV viewing. Starting at about 6ft and further I don't see any noticeable difference between 1080p and 720p content on smaller screen sets, (50'' or less).

So I guess those classes you wear Superman, are for Clark Kent. tongue.gif

Ian

post #11 of 44 Old 10-18-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I only sit about 1.5 meters (5 feet) from my TV so I notice a difference.

Cats are the best pets.
post #12 of 44 Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Content rotation is important for any provider.

I'm guessing that Netflix also keeps track of how often titles are accessed, removing those with low viewership before others.

There are probably contract issues, with Netflix contracting to have the right to stream from some certain date to another.
post #13 of 44 Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Sometimes I'm glad I don't have enough bandwidth to stream video. I get to watch the Netflix blu-rays directly from a disc.
post #14 of 44 Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I was a 3 disc subscriber to bb for a long time. Thought this was the way to get Blu Rays without being a collector.

Eventually got Netflix built in on a new TV and tried the 30 day free trial.

I immediately cancelled my BB membership and haven't looked back.

I have the bandwidth to stream Super HD and the quality ranges from very good to excellent.

I certainly don't miss discs at all.
post #15 of 44 Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To tell the truth I hate discs my myself because of all the crap they put on there before you can even start a episode. First they have previews I have to right arrow skip about three to four of them. Then when you actually start a episode you have to sit through that stupid FBI copyright warning that you can't skip then it finally plays a episode.

I prefer streaming as you just choose a episode and it plays. However Netflix is giving me no choice when they keep pulling classic TV shows for that rauncy crap they keep replacing it with.

Cats are the best pets.
post #16 of 44 Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Slight tip on DVD/BD: Instead of using the main 'play' option from the main menu, go to the chapters or whatever, and then start at chapter 1. That often skips some of the FBI and other warnings.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #17 of 44 Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Forced previews and the various government warnings turned me off to disc based content too.

It's good to know that the Dept of Homeland Security and the FBI are looking out for the Hollywood producers.

Skipping all the ads and warnings are a big plus with streaming as is the ability to consistently stop a title and pick it back up at a latter date. Blu Ray discs were inconsistent in supporting this basic feature.

Seems like Blu Ray was designed by committee. They tried to solve all the issues that had been uncovered since Beta and VHS, by adding all these junk items and trying to eliminate the customer's ability to skip over them to the actual title.

By doing this, they basically killed the format for me. I rented titles only, never buying a single disc.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #18 of 44 Old 10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Despite the inconveniences, I watch all new block buster releases and popular indie films on BD. You just can't beat the sound and picture quality which IMO is paramount for the home theater experience.

Ian

post #19 of 44 Old 10-23-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know you can't beat BluRay over streaming. Of course I am not a video or audio snob so even upconverted SD looks great to me.

Cats are the best pets.
post #20 of 44 Old 10-28-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

FYI all seasons are available on Hulu. I know there are commercials, but still cheaper then buying them all.

post #21 of 44 Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Revis View Post

FYI all seasons are available on Hulu. I know there are commercials, but still cheaper then buying them all.

Then why did Netflix pull it? The way they did it was also very rude. Just read the comments. They did not show no expiration date on the website or anywhere else but ONLY ON THE PS3 and to see it you had to select a episode.

Cats are the best pets.
post #22 of 44 Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63

Reddice, from the ''Instant Watch Browser for Netflix'' app  available on the Roku.

Jan 1. It may be sooner-Dexter was listed there for several months as arriving in Dec.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #23 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Then sometimes they pull a show and bring it back later.......like Peep Show, WTF!? I saw a few episodes and that was it, awesome show with about 8 seasons.

post #24 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All seasons of what show?
post #25 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Reddice, from the ''Instant Watch Browser for Netflix'' app  available on the Roku.
Jan 1. It may be sooner-Dexter was listed there for several months as arriving in Dec.

Well I don't have a Roku anymore so I could not check that out. When I did I use to check the Instant Watch channel every day.
If it comes back soon I will be very happy in the meanwhile I started to watch Columbo which is also a classic sleuth series.

Cats are the best pets.
post #26 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And they are probably web only which means you can only watch them on your computer and not your TV or tablet devices.

Cats are the best pets.
post #27 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

And they are probably web only which means you can only watch them on your computer and not your TV or tablet devices.
Then just connect your computer to your TV. Works great.

post #28 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Then just connect your computer to your TV. Works great.

Tried that once the screen stays on my laptop and then when I close the lid the picture on the TV goes blank. Also I was not able to stream Netflix doing that either using the Windows 8 app.

Cats are the best pets.
post #29 of 44 Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:

Tried that once the screen stays on my laptop and then when I close the lid the picture on the TV goes blank. Also I was not able to stream Netflix doing that either using the Windows 8 app.
That's too bad. But you don't have much choice with Hulu PC only content. Connecting PC to TV is the only way. And if you really want to watch it on TV, you'll be highly motivated to figure out how to extend the screen to a second monitor (TV) and keep your laptop awake when the lid is closed. You'll also figure out how to use dual screens in Win 8 (or 8.1) or stream Netflix in your browser. But with other Netflix streamers at your fingertips, like the PS3, I can't imagine why anyone would bother watching via a PC.

post #30 of 44 Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you have to close the lid all the way? I just leave mine open about 2 inches that way it's not distracting but doesn't shut down.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page