netflix compression artifacts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just checked on the zdnet speed test. I have > 25Mbps download speed on time-warner roadrunner cable.

I started watching "House of Cards" on netflix on a macbook pro 15" retina display, osx, with the silverlight plug in. the digital artifacts are starkly visible, especially on solid backgrounds that should shade smoothly. I hope the following renders my screen capture well

this is about 1/4 of the video. the wall has very visible banding. I wonder whether this is poor source material sent to me, or poor rendering, or ...

/iaw

ps: it's visible when you click on the avs image. it does not look so bad inline on this avs post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

I just checked on the zdnet speed test. I have > 25Mbps download speed on time-warner roadrunner cable.

I started watching "House of Cards" on netflix on a macbook pro 15" retina display, osx, with the silverlight plug in. the digital artifacts are starkly visible, especially on solid backgrounds that should shade smoothly. I hope the following renders my screen capture well

this is about 1/4 of the video. the wall has very visible banding. I wonder whether this is poor source material sent to me, or poor rendering, or ...

/iaw

ps: it's visible when you click on the avs image. it does not look so bad inline on this avs post.

For some strange reason 'House of Cards' seems to be one of Netflix's worst recent Super HD encodes. Shadow detail and banding as you observed are poor - check out the scenes in the cellar in his Alma Mater. A few members here ended up watching it on Blu-Ray because on the Netflix encode problems. Very strange as it is a flagship title for Netflix.

Other Netflix Super HD titles can look pretty good - many match and beat cable / satellite broadcast in my opinion. A couple of the the better ones I have seen are Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Arrow Season 1.

They still don't match Vudu HDX or iTunes and certainly not Blu-Ray (at least for me on a calibrated Panasonic Plasma in a dark room) - but pretty good.

I don't watch Netflix on Mac or PC so haven't stayed current on which platforms get Super HD. Others here can advise you if ' osx, with the silverlight plug in' can get the 5800 kbps Super HD encodes. You may want to run 'Example Short 23.976' (search for this title in Netflix) to see what bit rate you are getting from Netflix
post #3 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

For some strange reason 'House of Cards' seems to be one of Netflix's worst recent Super HD encodes. Shadow detail and banding as you observed are poor - check out the scenes in the cellar in his Alma Mater. A few members here ended up watching it on Blu-Ray because on the Netflix encode problems. Very strange as it is a flagship title for Netflix.

Other Netflix Super HD titles can look pretty good - many match and beat cable / satellite broadcast in my opinion. A couple of the the better ones I have seen are Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and Arrow Season 1.

They still don't match Vudu HDX or iTunes and certainly not Blu-Ray (at least for me on a calibrated Panasonic Plasma in a dark room) - but pretty good.

I don't watch Netflix on Mac or PC so haven't stayed current on which platforms get Super HD. Others here can advise you if ' osx, with the silverlight plug in' can get the 5800 kbps Super HD encodes. You may want to run 'Example Short 23.976' (search for this title in Netflix) to see what bit rate you are getting from Netflix

I think it depends on the quality of the video transfer. House of Cards is short on contrast and I also notice some color banding on my Panny PDP as well. However, some Super HD titles look as good as Vudu's HDX, at least to me.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Some of the SuperHD with Chromecast look damn near as good as BD. Regarding encoding, the video link I posted on one of the threads here of a talk by a horror film distributor says that Netflix charges over $13K for encoding your film and so some of the distributors go with houses that will do it for less than $1K.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

yes, House-of-Cards seems to be unusually bad. fortunately, their encoding of barney the purple dinosaur looks great on screen! I guess I have to switch my viewing preferences a little...
post #6 of 14 Old 12-20-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivo welch View Post

yes, House-of-Cards seems to be unusually bad. fortunately, their encoding of barney the purple dinosaur looks great on screen! I guess I have to switch my viewing preferences a little...

Now that's funny!

Ian

post #7 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the holidaze and I suspect more folks are streaming more than usually. Hollywood has left town for a hiatus so there are no new TV episodes to watch and more people bought cheap streaming players on Black Friday.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-21-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched Savannah with Jim Caviezel and the PQ on my plasma was stunning.

Ian

post #9 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

"Lillyhammer" had good PQ last night too but I don't think it is as popular as some of the other Netflix originals. Ya gotta like some subtitles to watch it.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-22-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't think popularity has much to do with it. It's all about the particular path for the particular CDN that is being used at that moment. Yesterday (Saturday), I watched "Lillyhammer" early in the morning (about 6am) at the full 25Mps of my setup. By 10:30AM, I tried to watch another episode, but it wouldn't go above 1.0-1.2. A speed test showed my computer doing the full 25M, and the Vudu test on the player maxed out at HDX 9+.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #11 of 14 Old 12-23-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix mentions popularity of a title on their site if you are having problems. Apparently they can only supply so many streams at high bitrates. Last night I had no problems with Lillyhammer nor the popular "Devil's Pass" in SuperHD but folks were probably busy partying and not watching Netflix. wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

this is ironic:

http://www.dailytech.com/Netflix+to+Stream+House+of+Cards+in+4K+via+HEVC+H265+Compression/article33962.htm

they can't even get the normal hd stream right yet, and will do it in 4k now.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The episode of Lilyhammer I watch late afternoon yesterday was running the gamut of resolutions. I figured that a lot of people got Netflix for the first time and probably even a new device and it was "let's watch a movie on Netflix" time. Expect tech articles in the new year about the increased traffic on Netflix and cranky responses of the ISPs to it. We need to be able to more easily take our ISP business elsewhere.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

We need to be able to more easily take our ISP business elsewhere.

that is the root source of all problems in the US: the monopoly power of your local cable vendor. if we had 5 different choices for a given home, then we would not need to regulate them (which we do badly).

flame on: incidentally, this is also the solution to almost every economic problem, be it low wages or teachers' unions or professors (I am one) or netflix or hollywood or ..., is never to regulate and decree---it is always to encourage and maintain competition. a market with free entry competing does wonders most of the time. minimum wage = bad idea. encouraging more businesses to compete more for low wage earners = good idea. flame off.
reddice likes this.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page