AVS Forum banner

Netflix Quality on Smart TV

17K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  pepepaco1980 
#1 ·
Hi all. Im new to the forum from UK and wanted to post as this has been bugging me for a while. When i stream netflix on my samsung smart tv (ue40f6500) although PQ is good its nowhere near as sharp as when it plays through my PS3 or Samsung Bluray player. Does anyone know why this is? Do external streamers benefit from a HDMI connection or is it just that the built in samsung app sucks?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinestmalt  /t/1515212/netflix-quality-on-smart-tv/0_100#post_24292234

Hi all. Im new to the forum from UK and wanted to post as this has been bugging me for a while. When i stream netflix on my samsung smart tv (ue40f6500) although PQ is good its nowhere near as sharp as when it plays through my PS3 or Samsung Bluray player. Does anyone know why this is? Do external streamers benefit from a HDMI connection or is it just that the built in samsung app sucks?

I have a Panasonic S60 and most Super HD streams look stunning. I would contact Samsung support to see if there is a problem with the set. Also check out the LCD support forum here to see if others have had the same issue with that model.

Ian

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefinestmalt  /t/1515212/netflix-quality-on-smart-tv/0_100#post_24296493

Thanks for the advice. Maybe Im just being picky, quality is usually very good and if I didnt have anything to compare it to I would be more than happy. However having seen it even better on the ps3 it just makes me wonder whats going on.

I also have a Roku 2 and a Panasonic BD player hooked up to an AVR that integrates with my TV. All these devices produce similar results. If you can see a noticeable reduction in PQ with your set, I would investigate further, especially since you are getting a better picture from your Samsung BD player.

Ian

#5 ·
My Samsung Netflix app is equal quality to my PS3 and OPPO . On my Samsung, each input is individually calibrated. Have you adjusted the input for your Smart Hub?

#7 ·
Does your television have this:

Old Common Netflix UI (Click to show)

or this:

New Common Netflix UI (Click to show)

UI? If it's neither it might be using an old "legacy" set of non-adaptive video encodes which only go up to 720p. Try streaming " Example Short 23.976 "; if you don't see the burned in bit-rate/resolution information (larger yellow text in this image) that's probably what's going on. If you do see the info, how high does the bit-rate ramp up to? It may be that for whatever reason you're getting higher bit-rate/higher picture quality video encodes on your PS3 than your television.

#8 ·
Ive got an issue with the smarthub netflix app in that the color and sharpness settings can be moved they dont actually change the picture. Has anyone else noticed this or have any ideas how to fix it? I contacted samsung support but they were not aware of any issues and couldnt recommend anything.

#9 ·
I haven't tried to change settings on my Samsung F9000 while watching the Netflix app; but I know I can't change settings on the player while watching the OPPO Netflix app. With the OPPO, I must change any of its settings before I start the Netflix app. Then they take effect.

That may be the answer if you are trying to make changes while actually in the app.

#10 ·
Its strange as the settings are not greyed out and most do work ie backlight, contrast, brightness but if i set colour to 0 in the app it doesnt make any difference. I can go into another app such as bbc iplayer and any changes to colour made there will transfer over to netflix but for sharpness it doesnt. Setting sharpness at 0 or 100 and it looks exactly the same.

#25 ·
I have tested Edge browser, the smart tv, and the wii u, the results are, in the last place the wii u since it drops constantly to 720p, second place is the smart tv, since its impossible to get a better picture no matter what settings I choose, the image is blurry and colors are washed out, and in first place the browser, I forced 6810 kbps and renamed the input as if it was BluRay, the image is much clear and colors more vivid than the same settings used by the native app.

when setting the input as PC the image looks much similar to the native app. it seems that when the TV input is renamed to Blu ray it does something different to the picture, and thats why the Sony bluray looked much better the other day.

I guess that I could buy the Roku stick and name the input as bluray it should look much better, confirmed. thank you All!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.