What devices support Netflix Super HD and 24p? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 278 Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
gorman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Inverse telecine has been around since DVD players were introduced. Most all movies on DVD are 24fps. Makes sense as you can put more on a disc at 24fps than at 30. And about any fps can be handled by most streaming players and smart TVs these days. It's done by showing whatever frame is available in the fame buffer regardless of the refresh rate is on the TV. Timing is done by microseconds and synchronization with the audio dropping frames to keep up if necessary. It was fun figuring this out for a Sony PSP game where I couldn't use their h264 player.
Sure, everything can be handled, that doesn't cancel the fact that if the console displays 24Hz or 50Hz content at 60Hz it looks like juddery crap.

In the Advanced Video Settings there are two specific checkboxes to allow *Apps and programs* to switch to either 24Hz or 50Hz according to what's needed.
The Blu-Ray player app is capable of doing this, the DVB-T USB key is capable of doing this when watching European broadcast channels. Everything works as it should.

Now TV (Sky internet app), Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, etc. do not do this. I don't even know who could be responsible for this. If it's Microsoft because, so far, I've only seen their apps working correctly (hence devs maybe don't have access to the needed API) or if it's the apps developers.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k

Last edited by gorman42; 10-05-2017 at 05:21 AM.
gorman42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 278 Old 10-05-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Judder is in film too. I just think TV watchers became more aware of it when DVD and particularly BD became available. Cinematographers have panning charts to pan slowly enough with film to avoid judder but they don't always do that. I suspect the same charts can aid judder on streaming codecs. Then there is the problem that stuff isn't always encoded at the best because it takes more time and that costs more money.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #273 of 278 Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 5,101
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
It appears that Roku has heard and responded to complaints of people wishing 24p compatibility with their hardware.

The new Roku OS 8 firmware will be rolling out to owners. Several other fixes and enhancements are also part of the new OS.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/first-loo...w-home-screen/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
 
post #274 of 278 Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,950
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
It appears that Roku has heard and responded to complaints of people wishing 24p compatibility with their hardware.

The new Roku OS 8 firmware will be rolling out to owners. Several other fixes and enhancements are also part of the new OS.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/first-loo...w-home-screen/
It's about time! This is the primary reason why I rarely use my Roku; no 24fps output. If it now does auto-switching framerate, and it does it properly, then it now has a shot at being my go-to streaming device. Currently, it's just been another box with a shiny surface I have to dust off every month!
Keenan is offline  
post #275 of 278 Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's about time! This is the primary reason why I rarely use my Roku; no 24fps output. If it now does auto-switching framerate, and it does it properly, then it now has a shot at being my go-to streaming device. Currently, it's just been another box with a shiny surface I have to dust off every month!
Sometimes depends on the TV. 24fps is easy to do on a 120hz display, you just show each frame 5 times. 25fps is another matter. Do you slow it to 24fps and adjust the audio? Or do you drop frame? On the Shield TV I could set 24fps default but 25fps British offerings on Netflix had an annoying frame drop.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #276 of 278 Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 31,950
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Sometimes depends on the TV. 24fps is easy to do on a 120hz display, you just show each frame 5 times. 25fps is another matter. Do you slow it to 24fps and adjust the audio? Or do you drop frame? On the Shield TV I could set 24fps default but 25fps British offerings on Netflix had an annoying frame drop.
I have a Samsung plasma and it seems to handle just about any framerate thrown at it with ease. I also send the streaming device output to a Oppo 103D before sending it on to the display and it has a world-class video processing section that handles everything perfectly as well. I noticed just the other day when I was watching the French drama "Spin" from Walter Presents(Amazon Channel) it was getting a 50Hz signal and the Oppo handled that signal with ease. My issue has always been just getting the correct signal out of the source device as the rest of my signal chain is more than capable of handling it.

Last edited by Keenan; 10-06-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Keenan is offline  
post #277 of 278 Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I have a Samsung plasma and it seems to handle just about any framerate thrown at it with ease. I also send the streaming device output to a Oppo 103D before sending it on to the display and it has a world-class video processing section that handles everything perfectly as well. I noticed just the other day when I was watching the French drama "Spin" from Walter Presents(Amazon Channel) it was getting a 50Hz signal and the Oppo handled that signal with ease. My issue has always been just getting the correct signal out of the source device as the rest of my signal chain is more than capable of handling it.
Certainly high end gear should be capable of that but there's not that much to showing a frame rate that even a bargain device can't handle it. Case in point my "free" Sony BD player which is their low end 2015 model can handle any frame rate too (except that Sony doesn't seem to like non Region PAL BDs though Samsung is okay with them). Sony probably does it the same way their h264 api on game consoles does by how many microseconds per frame you display until moving on to the next frame. That's 1000000/24 (or 23.93). You set a countdown time and when it goes off flip the frame buffer. That's why such devices can play all kinds of video files off the Internet that are at different frame rates.

On the Shield TV I can see what Netflix is serving by running a program that can read the debug logs. Stuff from PAL countries is often 25 fps. No drop frame needed for PAL in countries that have it. I can't on the Roku TV unless there is some hidden development debug command (which should exist).
Keenan likes this.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #278 of 278 Old 10-09-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,201
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Roku Ultra OS 8 is the first device that I've used that auto switches Netflix to 24fps (also 25 and 30). Also appears to drop to 4:2:0 output which is native video sub sampling.
dwaleke is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off