How many streaming devices do you have hooked up to your TV. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I started out with the PS3 then I got the Roku 3. Sold it stupidly to buy a Apple TV then I bought another Roku 3 then a Chromecast. Now I have my Apple TV connected again.

I even have to use a switch because of all the devices I have hooked up and I am out of ports.
  • Dish Network 612 DVR on a Kinivo Switch port 1 hooked up to HDMI port 1 on my TV.
  • PS3 on a Kinivo Switch port 2 hooked up to HDMI port 1 on my TV.
  • Chromecast on Kinivo Switch port 3 hooked up to HDMI port 1 on my TV.
  • Roku 3 hooked up to HDMI port 2 on my TV.
  • Apple TV hooked up to HDMI port 3 on my TV.

That's a lot.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I must ask WHY are you doing that? I just use my Pan. Blu-ray player.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Good question. That being said, I have three devices that can stream with in my media room. I use my smart TV which can only stream major sites like Neflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc..., my Roku which I usually use for VOD ( HBO Go, Showtime Anywhere, Fox TV..) and my BD player, which I have recently disconnected from my network, since I no longer need to use it for that purpose. My bedroom TV streams through my BD player only.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 744
In my living room on my main setup I use a PS3; while the tv is "smart" the apps don't have multi-ch sound. I use Netflix or Amazon for the most part and for movies. I have DirecTv which generally has much better delivery than anything I can get on the internet (we're limited to dsl service here but even when I had higher speed cable internet in my previous locale the internet services just weren't that high quality or consistent....buffering drives me nuts). Bedroom uses a bluray player's apps. If I didn't have a bluray player with built in apps I might consider a stand-alone device otherwise don't see what they offer that the players don't, so maybe I'll learn something here. The only thing that might be interesting that I've heard of is the casting feature of something like Chromecast but still doubt I'd find much use for that...

post #5 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because some devices perform better than others. Also my PS3 and the Roku 3 are the only services with Amazon Instant.
Also you see I also have a S5100 BluRay player but it is my grandmothers hooked up to her TV so she can watch Netflix.

Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My first streamer was the TV itself (Sony KV-46EX700). When I bought a Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP-S370), that also does streaming, but I preferred the TV as it has smarter buffering (BD player always waits to completely fill the buffer before starting.) Both of the Sony's are old interface and only support 720p and stereo. I later bought a WDTV Live Streaming to get 1080p and 5.1 audio. In the bedroom, I have a Sony BDP-S380 I sometimes use.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #7 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 104
  1. I had purchased only one streaming device for purposes of streaming Netflix: the Roku Netflix Player (the original name for the original model of their digital video player, hardware model N1000), which has gone from an old CRT TV to a LCD TV to a LED/LCD TV (as each TV died or had a serious problem that would cost as much to repair as buying a new TV, which, if you are counting, means that the 2008 Roku N1000 is on its third TV). The software upgrades to the Roku N1000 allowed it to continue working, and it can handle the multi-episode titles just fine. However, it doesn't seem to have benefited yet from the Comcast/Netflix direct connect agreement, at least not yet, because it can't maintain a HD connection during prime time. Note: there have been two major generations since that original model, and this original-generation Netflix Netflix player lacks subtitles, alternate audio tracts, and maxes out at 720p on the Netflix channel (and often lower on other channels I had loaded).

2. I purchased a LG blu-ray player. However, it has not received the software upgrade that would allow it to handle titles with more than 100 episodes, so something like Mission: Impossible with far more than 100 episodes cannot be viewed past about Season 3. I tested streaming Netflix a few times but prefer the Roku.

3. I purchased a Sony blu-ray player when the LG started having issues with many blu-ray discs. It, too, has Netflix streaming capabilities, but I have never tried it.

4. And I finally purchased a Vizio "smart TV" which just happened to have a Netflix applet. This seems to work great, except that after watching several episodes it has crashed on me. However, for a couple of movies in a row it works great and last night during prime time it kept resolution at 1080 lines, with just occasional quick dips to 720, so it seems to have benefited from the Comcast/Netflix agreement. (Contrast this to about three weeks ago when I couldn't maintain even 480-line resolution during prime time.) So, for the time being, I am using the Vizio "smart TV" for most of my Netflix streaming, though I will occasionally use the Roku for streaming other channels.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:

Because no one devices gives you access to all streaming services, let alone does them all well. I have several TVs and each TV has several streaming devices. My main TV has eleven devices I use for streaming apps. My secondary TV has seven devices and my tertiary TV has five devices used for streaming apps.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Because no one devices gives you access to all streaming services, let alone does them all well. I have several TVs and each TV has several streaming devices. My main TV has eleven devices I use for streaming apps. My secondary TV has seven devices and my tertiary TV has five devices used for streaming apps.

Eleven devices for one TV? eek.gif I never experienced any streaming issues with my Roku, which covers more services then I will ever need. As posted earlier, I use my Smart TV for certain channels like Netflix, which has a slight edge over the Roku when it comes to picture quality.

Ian

post #10 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

My goodness. Do you ever leave the house? smile.gif
mailiang likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

My goodness. Do you ever leave the house? smile.gif
I'm sure he's waiting for a "food printer" to come out so he doesn't need to . biggrin.gif
mailiang likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 238
11 devices? Really? I like tv, but.... wink.gif I only have two, and that's plenty. The Panasonic blu-ray player and my AppleTV2. Between the 2 of them, that pretty much covers all of the services that I need. And whatever those two don't have, I can always use the laptop.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Currently connected to this panel and AVR I have:

1. This PC, which can bitstream DD+ 5.1 from the Win8 Netflix app
  2. TiVo Roamio
  3. Roku 3
  4. WD TV Live
  5. Panasonic DMP-BDT220
  6. Playstation 3
  7. Xbox 360
  8. Xbox One

I confess that I very rarely use the TV Live or BDT220; my favorite Netflix streamer is TiVo Roamio because it has the new UI and this little stream status display that I like, is very responsive to commands and, as a DVR, is always on anyway. I additionally own:

1. Panasonic DMP-BDT110
  2. TiVo Premiere
  3. TiVo Series3 (OLED)
  4. Sony BDP-S390
  5. Roku 2 XS

The BDT110 and Series3 aren't currently in use; the others are connected to a television in the living room.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #14 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Michael, shame on you. There's no need for Tivo when you have a HTPC.
post #15 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

This isn't really an HTPC, though I suppose it could become one with the addition of a USB or Ethernet CableCARD tuner (only room for a single card in my PC's mini-tower motherboard, currently consumed by an inexpensive Radeon 7450 card, bought for its integrated HDMI video and sound capability). I could get one of these used for cheap or one of these new for not so cheap. I have a WD Elements 3TB USB drive that I bought in February last year on sale that I never got around to plugging in; obviously my need for it wasn't as urgent as I thought at the time biggrin.gif. I have no idea what the available DVR software is like. I can buy the Windows 8.1 Media Center pack for $10; maybe I'll do that just for the hell of it.

post #16 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I picked up my InfiniTV 4 from another forum member for about $100. If you don't have lifetime on that Tivo, the Ceton route will definitely save you some money in the long run. My video card was an AMD 6450 for $15. So my startup costs weren't very high.

Sorry to digress. I'll get back on topic. I've got 5 streaming capable devices connected, but I only use one of them for actual streaming, my Sony BD player. My HTPC handles live and recorded TV for the whole house (5 TVs, several other PCs, tablets, laptops and phones). Other Sony BD players and a few Chromecasts handle other streaming throughout the house. I've never bought a Roku because they were always redundant in my case.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Currently connected to this panel and AVR I have:

1. This PC, which can bitstream DD+ 5.1 from the Win8 Netflix app
  2. TiVo Roamio
  3. Roku 3
  4. WD TV Live
  5. Panasonic DMP-BDT220
  6. Playstation 3
  7. Xbox 360
  8. Xbox One

I confess that I very rarely use the TV Live or BDT220; my favorite Netflix streamer is TiVo Roamio because it has the new UI and this little stream status display that I like, is very responsive to commands and, as a DVR, is always on anyway. I additionally own:

1. Panasonic DMP-BDT110
  2. TiVo Premiere
  3. TiVo Series3 (OLED)
  4. Sony BDP-S390
  5. Roku 2 XS

The BDT110 and Series3 aren't currently in use; the others are connected to a television in the living room.

If I lived in San Diego, I'd be spending a lot less time watching TV and a lot more time on the beach. wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

post #18 of 35 Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I dont know about MS, but I think TiVo is a better option. I used a couple of HTPCs to record and watch OTA HD back in 2001. While things are easier now, plus I have close to 150TB of storage on my Network, Id rather use the TiVo. I do have a PC running 24/7 for TiVo desktop and for recording my security cameras that could be used, but TiVo is much easier to deal with.

And my TiVos are also several of my streaming devices

LED DLP

post #19 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

To each his own. I find TiVo to be slow and complicated, not to mention very expensive. I'll keep my HTPC and Echoes.
post #20 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm a big fan of TiVo, and have been since my first analog, pre-HDTV Philips model. A close friend works on firmware for TiVo; I got my last couple as "Friends & Family" deals. I bought the Premiere with Product Lifetime Service and the Roamio without, figuring that I'd have replaced it before I'd spent the cost of PLS in monthly fees ($10 at the F&F rate).

I don't know about complicated--I've used the UI for the past 14 years as it developed. Roamio is pretty peppy.

post #21 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

If I lived in San Diego, I'd be spending a lot less time watching TV and a lot more time on the beach. wink.gif

Ian biggrin.gif
The beach didn't look like that every time I was in Sandy Eggo. biggrin.gif

Michael seems to have collected streaming devices like I used to collect video cameras. wink.gif
post #22 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I find that, for me to frequent the beach, it has to be within walking distance. I've moved around a lot and that was true a few times: I lived in an apartment on Alki Avenue in Seattle in a building facing Alki Beach (here), in a high rise on a barrier island overlooking a white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico in Clearwater, FL (here) and a couple of blocks from Hallandale Beach in the Miami area (around here); when I lived in those places I spent a lot of time at the beach. Now I'm 13 miles from the closest beach and way too lazy to drive there and fight for parking biggrin.gif.

post #23 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I find that, for me to frequent the beach, it has to be within walking distance. I've moved around a lot and that was true a few times: I lived in an apartment on Alki Avenue in Seattle in a building facing Alki Beach (here), in a high rise on a barrier island overlooking a white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico in Clearwater, FL (here) and a couple of blocks from Hallandale Beach in the Miami area (around here); when I lived in those places I spent a lot of time at the beach. Now I'm 13 miles from the closest beach and way too lazy to drive there and fight for parking biggrin.gif.

My brother use to live on Hallandale beach not far from where you were. I live less then 2 miles from the Ocean and it's easier to drive 5 miles to the pool club. At least they have plenty of parking. wink.gif

Ian

post #24 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

To each his own. I find TiVo to be slow and complicated, not to mention very expensive. I'll keep my HTPC and Echoes.

The current TiVo is definitely not slow. And I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe it as complicated. Complicated is the cable/satellite company DVRs.

LED DLP

post #25 of 35 Old 03-16-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The current TiVo is definitely not slow. And I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe it as complicated. Complicated is the cable/satellite company DVRs.
The one prior definitely is slow. I personally find it more complicated. I'm lost with no stop or exit buttons. And the menus are confusing as well. Probably just me not making the effort, but I still think it could be more intuitive, like Dish, DirecTV and Media Center. Those are all very simple to navigate and use. I agree that cable DVRs are absolutely awful.
post #26 of 35 Old 03-17-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Personally, I have a SageTV extender and a Roku at my TVs. I don't even have the antenna directly hooked up to my TVs anymore.

-Suntan
post #27 of 35 Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have only 1 Media player - Popcorn Hour A-400 hooked on my TV. But, looking for a much simple streaming device which has a lots of Chinese and Asian channels or VOD that could satisfy my family. Any suggestion?

post #28 of 35 Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well besides the FireTV I bought in April which I only use for Amazon Instant I reconnected my Roku 3 last month so now I have 4 devices not counting the S5100 BluRay player which is hooked up inside for my Grandmother. Also I disconnected my Chromecast because of the constant interference on 2.4Ghz. If they release a new dual band Chromecast I will get it.

Cats are the best pets.
post #29 of 35 Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tivo Roamio
Tivo Premiere
Samsung BD Player
Chromecast
Roku 3
Vizio M-series HDTV

So that's 5 streamers, plus the TV wired around 2 additional screens mostly used for multiscreen watching of sports. But serves other purposes as well.
post #30 of 35 Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
one on each. mostly PCs but one Xbox 360 extender.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player With Motion Remote

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page