Leaning strongly towards UV/Vudu as my 'personal digital film/TV library'. Is that a mistake? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With all the choices in digital libraries available these days (iTunes, Amazon, UltraViolet), I have found it extremely cumbersome to manage a separate infastructure for 3 (or more) competing formats. My goals are: ease of access, with multi-device support from a variety of studios. Because of that, I'm leaning towards Vudu. Like the thread title asks, is that a mistake? If so, what else should I consider when trying to find one 'go-to' for this?

Secondary concern: Since it appears that Vudu on Dune HD is a pipedream at this point, and unless something changes Vudu will not be coming to TiVo in the near term, what is the best integration of Vudu into a home theater? Roku? Chromecast? Some other device? I'd rather not rebuy a blu-ray player or a/v receiver when the ones I have now are working just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With the guarantee that you will never lose your rights to a movie, disc to digital, family sharing, multi platform, choices of where to watch, and being available on the most devices of any of them, Ultraviolet is a no brainer. I highly recommend a Roku 3 and use Vudu to watch.....and for redeeming reguardless where the paper tells you to go. I'm getting close to 800 movies after 2 years and loving it. There will NEVER be a cheaper time to build your collection.
post #3 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The only concern would be what happens if VUDU would go bankrupt?
The only time I use VUDU is when I'm redeeming my UV codes. I won't purchase stuff directly from them.
post #4 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post

The only concern would be what happens if VUDU would go bankrupt?
The only time I use VUDU is when I'm redeeming my UV codes. I won't purchase stuff directly from them.

As long as it says UV, it wouldn't matter if Vudu went bankrupt, you would just use any of the other storefronts......
post #5 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 121
VUDU was purchased by Walmart in 2010. I don't think it's going out of business in the foreseeable future, especially with the success of UV.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 22 Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
My best Vudu playback device is my oldish (2009) LG BD390 Blu-Ray player.

It has no problem detecting and switching to 24P output on 24P sources and image and sound quality is great.

I have newer Chromecast / Rokus etc that can get Vudu - but never use them as output is fixed to P60.

I mainly use Vudu to redeem / view UV titles - but have used Vudu DVD Disc to Digital to upgrade some of my favorite DVDs to HD.

We have also bought and rented a few movies and shows from Vudu.

I do agree that it would be great to keep digital copies in one format - but it seems I still have to use iTunes or other for some Blue-Ray Digital copies.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Webel View Post

My goals are: ease of access, with multi-device support from a variety of studios. Because of that, I'm leaning towards Vudu.

Depends on how you want to watch, if only streaming then VUDU is fine. If you want to download then it is a sad story, the VUDU app is really lame, only two options after you download a title, watch it or delete it. The app player quality is awful and does not ask where to download the files. Contrary to the UV (Ultra Violet) site, you can not transfer the title to other devices or watch on other devices, must watch on the PC it was downloaded to.

If you have a UV title from Flickster (and others) it will show up in your movies at VUDU but if you want to download them then you must go to the Flickster site (and others) and use their apps (which I have not tried).

Disney is not part of UV so do not look for Pirates or Star Wars.

Titles with 7.1 sound, “forget about it”.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

If you want to download then it is a sad story, the VUDU app is really lame, only two options after you download a title, watch it or delete it. The app player quality is awful and does not ask where to download the files. Contrary to the UV (Ultra Violet) site, you can not transfer the title to other devices or watch on other devices, must watch on the PC it was downloaded to.

iTunes (on computer or Apple TV) downloads titles - most people think it streaming but its not - it is actually downloading the entire title at the full speed of your connection to local storage.

Now it has most of the limitations you describe of the Vudu app - but has one big advantage (probably shared with the Vudu app) for those with slow connections - you can download the title and play at full quality.

That's why you never see anyone complain about low resolution iTunes playback - the playback is always the same quality - it just may take longer to start on a slow connection.
post #9 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a quality difference in streaming vs. downloading a film from Vudu?
post #10 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you have a connection too slow to really stream at the highest res, you presumably could see it at full res, if you don't mind waiting a few hours!

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #11 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Webel View Post

Is there a quality difference in streaming vs. downloading a film from Vudu?

The playback via the VUDU app for a PC is/was awful, looked almost like stop-action animation. Other content (H.262 and H.264) plays just fine on the Windows 8.1 Pro machine via VideoReDo, Windows Media Player and VLC. All of these methods, including the VUDU app, show about 15 to 21 % CPU when playing 1080, H.262 and H.264 files. With all the DRM you have to use the VUDU to play the movie.

Even more strange is it took almost 3 hours to download a 90 min., HDX movie. That same movie streams in HDX just fine in real time (90 min).
post #12 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
They have software you can download now to add your physical videos to your library so you no longer have to take them into walmart. Its handy for upgrading your dvd collection to hdx.

I would like to see tv shows be compatible with UV
post #13 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

iTunes (on computer or Apple TV) downloads titles - most people think it streaming but its not - it is actually downloading the entire title at the full speed of your connection to local storage.

Have iTunes and iPad but used very little for iTunes video.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

They have software you can download now to add your physical videos to your library so you no longer have to take them into walmart. Its handy for upgrading your dvd collection to hdx.

Yes I have used it and it seems to work well.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Have iTunes and iPad but used very little for iTunes video.

The only time I have used it was a couple of Blu-Ray's where the Digital Copy was for iTunes (even here I think the last Blu-Ray that said it had an iTunes compatible Digital Copy I tried the code with UV and it worked) plus a couple of movies when I first got the Apple TV to see what the quality is like.

Now if I am going to rent (or very rarely purchase) a movie online I'll use Vudu. The quality of Vudu HDX and iTunes is very similar (see the various reviews here by imagic) so I prefer to keep them in one environment. I can also watch Vudu HDX in 24P from my Blu-Ray player whereas there is no option I know of for a device with 24P iTunes output.

That said for someone with a slow connection iTunes may be the way to go.
post #16 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

My best Vudu playback device is my oldish (2009) LG BD390 Blu-Ray player.

It has no problem detecting and switching to 24P output on 24P sources and image and sound quality is great.

I have newer Chromecast / Rokus etc that can get Vudu - but never use them as output is fixed to P60.

Interesting! Is there a list of devices that will output Vudu at 24p?
post #17 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 68
i had the same idea as you a few years ago but decided against it because of the DRM and the TOS. Read the TOS, they can take away or stop you from accessing your locker at anytime. Like Amazon, although you purchased a movie, they can stop you from actually watching it because the rights holder (thats never you) can deem when you can actually watch it. http://torrentfreak.com/amazon-pulls-access-to-purchased-christmas-videos-during-christmas-131216/

So i went another route. i ripped the disk and use plex to watch on any tv, mobile device inside and outside the house and can easily download to a device if there is no internet connection. Buying the disks and ripping them comes out cheaper most of the time, but there is the cost of acquiring storage and the minimal time maintaining such a system. I like having it under my control and dont have to worry about someone else dictating stupid terms on how to watch media.
reddice likes this.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #18 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Love having VUDU copies; I can download them to watch on my tablet on flights, in waiting rooms, etc. even with no wi-fi connection. However, I would never have only VUDU copies due to some of the concerns expressed above and because I have found that blu-ray discs with UV copies are very common now and with proper timing are usually MUCH CHEAPER than the VUDU versions alone. So here is what I do, keeping in mind that I am not in a big hurry to have any particular title like so many people seem to be.

1. Compile a list of favorites I want to purchase someday.
2. Wait for the November / December "Black Friday" time frame.
3. Keep an eye on deal sites, Amazon, Best Buy, Fry's, AVSForum, etc. for specials on blu-ray discs with UV copies included.
Last Fall I purchased many of these in the $3.99 to $10.99 price range.
4. Go crazy snapping up discs from my list.
5. Redeem the UV codes and download to tablets, laptops, etc.
6. Rinse and repeat.

Best of both worlds and less money out of my pocket to boot.

smile.gif
reddice likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

i had the same idea as you a few years ago but decided against it because of the DRM and the TOS. Read the TOS, they can take away or stop you from accessing your locker at anytime. Like Amazon, although you purchased a movie, they can stop you from actually watching it because the rights holder (thats never you) can deem when you can actually watch it. http://torrentfreak.com/amazon-pulls-access-to-purchased-christmas-videos-during-christmas-131216/.
I agree. This is why I never buy digital media. I will only buy music, movies and TV shows on physical optical media that I will own forever. I never have to worry about it being pulled because of some bull crap license agreement that ended.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I never touched any of the UV codes in my BD cases until I started using VUDU on my PS4, it offers better audio quality then Netflix on my sound system. I redeemed all my UV codes and now can watch my blu ray movies instantly on the PS4 instead of having to pop in disks. Obviously I am sacrificing some audio and video quality, but if I want to demo or show off my system I can just throw the disk in, cant beat being able to bring up and watch most of my blu ray collection instantly.
I have never had an issue with VUDU streaming on the PS4, it is hardwired to my router so I have a stable high speed connection, always in the HDX quality.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
my roommate has hundreds of blurays but never used the digital codes so I asked if I could and he said go for it, so far I have added 70 movies to my collection, its nice that like nearly all the expired UV codes still work, I still have like 400+ Blurays to go through searching for codes

I am in the same boat luckily so far I have not spent any money on Ultra Violet so if it goes under, no real financial lost from that but it makes you wonder.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #22 of 22 Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Theoretically you "own" a UV title for life.

But if you dig around the VUDU website and read all the fine print ... VUDU is only contracted to store UV titles, and let you view them whenever you want, for free for 5 years. After that time period VUDU may choose to charge you for either storage or access, or, it can choose to continue to offer the service for free. Only time will tell.

This is one of the reasons I lean towards iTunes - purchases are for life and you can download them if you wish.

I also tend to buy a lot blu-ray's. As mentioned in an earlier post - if you wait a while (sometimes as little as 6 months after release) the blu-ray prices are very reasonable. Typically less than the online (iTunes/Vudu) price.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page