AVS Forum banner

Netflix Lost Instantly: Now Disc Only Content

4K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  reddice 
#1 ·
I decided to start a thread about Netflix losing content. What I know is going away April 1st is 24. Anymore content can be listed here.

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice  /t/1524996/netflix-lost-instantly-now-disc-only-content#post_24547723

I decided to start a thread about Netflix losing content. What I know is going away April 1st is 24. Anymore content can be listed here.

All providers lose content sooner or later, I am always amazed that Netflix gets the most grief when they do, I have never seen a thread or media headlines when HBO for example loses rights to a movie, should I get angry that Avatar is no longer on HBO, of course not, the rights have moved to another channel, that is how the business has always worked.

#23 ·
Quote:Originally Posted by reddice 

All providers lose content sooner or later, I am always amazed that Netflix gets the most grief when they do, I have never seen a thread or media headlines when HBO for example loses rights to a movie, should I get angry that Avatar is no longer on HBO, of course not, the rights have moved to another channel, that is how the business has always worked.
Amazon is much worse than Netflix, I watch a few episodes of a show on prime and the next time I go to watch it's a $1.99 PPV.

#3 ·

I do miss the Expiring titles sections that used to be featured at websites instantwatcher and feedfliks. They alerted you weeks in advance to titles that you might have in your queue that were due for removal, giving you a chance watch without feeling rushed. I understand the (alledged) reasons why NF stopped providing this info to 3rd party sites was that competitors were using these sites to track what was due to expire, and would go after them, jacking up the price to renew, making it difficult for the company.

The problem with how things are now is, will someone be interested in a title expiring that they didn't know was available and/or not already in their queues? 4 titles in my queue are due for removal, the warnings appearring 2 weeks ago. This late in the month, with all your regular selections filling your List, how pressed are you to add something else?

Echoing boo's sentiments, no other service gets raked over the coals when something gets removed from rotation. I can think of no other service that has ever posted expire data for their content acquistions. Netflix was unique for doing so. And we got used to having such convenient access to what was coming and going, and are now frustrated having it taken away.

#4 ·
What gets me is that I had content in my list disappear without any notice. No expiration date. Also what gets me more angry is I can't remove the phantom items which means it is less items I can add to my list. Even items that are invisible you can't add any more new items once you reach the limit as they count as items.

#6 ·

Checking the queue this afternoon, and was shocked to see this..

A 4 week early expiration notice. The earliest I've ever seen. Hope this is something they'll do from now on. Plenty of warning, and their competitors would have no way to track everything..

Reactions: Mark12547
#7 ·
I 4 week warning is much better than the pathetic 7 day warning you get on the website. On the PS3 and Roku 3 you get a 14 day warning but you might miss it because it only shows up if you pick a episode of a title.

#8 ·

That screencap is from the website. It's always been a 2 week notice for me. Odd that others have only gotten one week notice, I don't recal hearimng that before.

#9 ·
I always only get a one week notice on the website. Only on the PS3 and Roku 3 I get a 2 week notice but it only shows up when I choose a episode. However the much better old UI that the S5100 uses shows the 2 week notice when you are just scrolling checking titles. I really miss the old UI and hate the new UI so much.

#10 ·
This is why I don't watch many movies on Netflix. I just searched for a bunch of movies I know they had only a few weeks ago and all I get is "Explore titles related to" such movie. Hello I don't want related movies which most of the time are way off I want what was there just a few weeks ago. Screw this I buy them on BluRay that I own forever without worrying about them being there tomorrow.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice  /t/1524996/netflix-lost-instantly-now-disc-only-content#post_24788012

.... I just searched for a bunch of movies I know they had only a few weeks ago and all I get is "Explore titles related to" such movie.....Screw this.I buy them on BluRay that I own forever without worrying about them being there tomorrow.

Your complaint is exactly why i like to have a hard copy of everything i like to watch.Movies come and go all the time.

I have more than a thousand movies and some tv series' on disc that i can watch anytime I want to.I don't want to be tooo reliant on Online services like NF or any other services cuz i've been let down by them too many times.

#12 ·
A bunch of PBS stuff from Ken Burns, Miss Marple is now disc only content. I read a article saying they renewed all the PBS content but I guess that was a bunch of bull.

#16 ·
False alarm for some PBS content looks like the Ken Burns documentary's are back on Netflix. Also according to Instantwatcher so is some PBS content. :)

#18 ·
#20 · (Edited)
Battlestar Galactica is going away next month. See I would have gotten screwed if I started to watch it last night as I was going too. Too think I though the contract was renewed in August so I added it to my list last week and I was going to start to watch it when I was in the mood. Also Amazon Instant the show went from free to PPV last week so they are useless now too so I though Netflix was safe making a exclusive deal.

Stupid Netflix. Wait lets instead add more new lame originals.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
At least there's a 30 day notice now, rather than 1-2 week warning that has been in place for the last 2 years or so.

Though it's placement on the website leads to more criticism of their design preferences. The Streaming details are further down the page, rather than underneath the series picture... where there's plenty of empty space being wasted under the +My List button showing nothing.

#22 ·
30 days is not enough time to watch the series from the start. I never binge anything and I usually only watch one episode a night.

I have another kids show going away in 30 days too but I only have 7 22 minute episodes left so I should finish it.

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
It's possible the owner of the rights to that show had already formed a deal with another party (maybe a TV network) for exclusive airing rights on selected dates, so the agreement they later formed with Netflix had to exclude those dates. I have seen that happen before with other titles.

However, without inside information, one just about has to assume the end date shown is permanent. :(

#28 · (Edited)
Doctor Who is going away 2/1/15. What is Netflix smoking. :mad: All I know is when I see that red text of death Until I remove right away from my List even if I get screwed still watching it then I don't watch it unless it rarely does not go away.

Wait at least half the BBC stuff is going away. This really sucks.

At least Amazon Prime has all the episodes up to Season 7. Glad I started to re-watch it on there so no real loss.

#29 ·
My wife and kids use Netflix quite a lot, but not for movies. All of us watch most of our movies on Vudu, Plex or disc. The Netflix recommendation system makes browsing for stuff to watch a huge pain. I hate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.