Netflix limited to 720p - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 248 Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Newbie
 
Encrucijadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
It's too bad I didn't find this thread earlier to save you guys some time, but I joined the forum just to provide you with the answer (unfortunately not a solution--yet).

I own the TC-P55ST50 and have been watching 1080p streaming "Super HD" on the native Netflix app for almost two years now. Back in June 17th, 2014 or so, my TV automatically downloaded a new firmware update (linked below):

Firmware Update Version 1.27 (st50-ut50-put54-lcd_le54-e50-et5)


After this update, I am no longer able to stream higher than 720p even with a 250MB fiber optic connection. According to Panasonic, this firmware update was suppose to "improve network functions", but it seems the only thing it did was lower the quality of my streams on Netflix to 720p and probably others such as Hulu and Amazon (I only subscribe to Netflix at the moment so I can't test this). I tried contacting Panasonic a few times via email support, but they keep ignoring my inquiries. If everyone complains I'm hoping they come up with a firmware fix/update.
'

I wondered if that last update was to blame.... My 50" ST50 used to stream 1080 (when available) fairly consistently......Thanks Panasonic.
ps- Thanks for confirming my suspicions, great resource this forum.

Last edited by Encrucijadas; 08-10-2014 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add content
Encrucijadas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 248 Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not a problem. Feel free to complain to Panasonic customer care at 1-800-211-7262 so they can document the issue and send it to the relevant department and have further checks done. They're open Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. and Saturday – Sunday 10 A.M. to 7 P.M. EST.

If they don't get enough complaints that document this firmware issue, they will not provide a firmware update and we'll be stuck with 720p forever. Be sure to make it known that it's a firmware issue, since they'll try to blame it on your internet connection, Netflix or a TV setting change that you made.

Does anyone know how to check video quality of streams on other native apps (Hulu, Amazon, etc.), or is this "Info button" to check quality only an option on Netflix? That way we can narrow down the issue and help Panasonic come up with a solution.

Last edited by Trendsetter88; 08-10-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #63 of 248 Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
Encrucijadas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
Not a problem. Feel free to complain to Panasonic customer care at 1-800-211-7262 so they can document the issue and send it to the relevant department and have further checks done. They're open Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 9 P.M. and Saturday – Sunday 10 A.M. to 7 P.M. Eastern Standard Time.

If they don't get enough complaints that document this firmware issue, they will not provide a firmware update and we'll be stuck with 720p forever. Be sure to make it known that it's a firmware issue, since they'll try to blame it on your internet connection, Netflix or TV setting change that you made.

Unfortunately I'm in Canada, so I've got to complain to Panasonic Canada (which I will ) ...Their website doesn't even seem to have a "support" email address only a (weekdays only) phone number. I'm sure that'll be a long time on hold....sigh.....
Encrucijadas is offline  
post #64 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrucijadas View Post
Unfortunately I'm in Canada, so I've got to complain to Panasonic Canada (which I will ) ...Their website doesn't even seem to have a "support" email address only a (weekdays only) phone number. I'm sure that'll be a long time on hold....sigh.....
It seems you have to call because email or chat will not document the issue. Well that was a waste of my time.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #65 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Post Info Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post

Does anyone know how to check video quality of streams on other native apps (Hulu, Amazon, etc.), or is this "Info button" to check quality only an option on Netflix? That way we can narrow down the issue and help Panasonic come up with a solution.
The info button will display the resolution the set is displaying regardless of the source.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #66 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The info button will display the resolution the set is displaying regardless of the source.


Ian
Thanks Ian, but nothing happens when I press the info button when watching Hulu or Amazon. It only works when watching Netflix streams (it doesn't go above 720p on Super HD videos due to the firmware upgrade issue I mentioned previously). Am I the only one who can't view the quality of the streams on Hulu or Amazon? I am assuming everyone is having the firmware issue.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #67 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
Thanks Ian, but nothing happens when I press the info button when watching Hulu or Amazon. It only works when watching Netflix streams (it doesn't go above 720p on Super HD videos due to the firmware upgrade issue I mentioned previously). Am I the only one who can't view the quality of the streams on Hulu or Amazon? I am assuming everyone is having the firmware issue.
The status info display is part of the Netflix app, and isn't available on the embedded Hulu and Amazon apps on your Panasonic HDTV. They would be the ones to have to include any bitrate indicator in their apps.

The Hulu app on my 2011 Toshiba BR Player can show SD or HD in the scrub bar, as well as allow you to switch between the 2. If you see no SD/HD when pressing the pause button, then the app doesn't include that feature.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #68 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
The status info display is part of the Netflix app, and isn't available on the embedded Hulu and Amazon apps on your Panasonic HDTV. They would be the ones to have to include any bitrate indicator in their apps.

The Hulu app on my 2011 Toshiba BR Player can show SD or HD in the scrub bar, as well as allow you to switch between the 2. If you see no SD/HD when pressing the pause button, then the app doesn't include that feature.
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone else with the same model Panasonic get anything higher than 720p on their native Netflix app when pressing the info button?
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #69 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
Thanks Ian, but nothing happens when I press the info button when watching Hulu or Amazon. It only works when watching Netflix streams (it doesn't go above 720p on Super HD videos due to the firmware upgrade issue I mentioned previously). Am I the only one who can't view the quality of the streams on Hulu or Amazon? I am assuming everyone is having the firmware issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
The status info display is part of the Netflix app, and isn't available on the embedded Hulu and Amazon apps on your Panasonic HDTV. They would be the ones to have to include any bitrate indicator in their apps.

The Hulu app on my 2011 Toshiba BR Player can show SD or HD in the scrub bar, as well as allow you to switch between the 2. If you see no SD/HD when pressing the pause button, then the app doesn't include that feature.
The info button on both my Panasonic Plasmas (2010 C2, 2013 S60) shows the resolution the TV is actually displaying regardless of which source I am using, including my DTV DVR. It is not just governed by the streaming app.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-13-2014 at 03:12 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #70 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The info button on both my Panasonic Plasmas (2010 C2, 2013 S60) shows the resolution the TV is actually displaying regardless of which source I am using, including my DTV DVR. It is not just governed by the streaming app.

Ian
I think you're referring to the resolution the TV is displaying for sources (determined by source/type of connection/etc.). We're referring to the current streaming quality that Netflix is currently streaming at (determined by network speed). Hope that makes sense.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #71 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
I think you're referring to the resolution the TV is displaying for sources (determined by source/type of connection/etc.). We're referring to the current streaming quality that Netflix is currently streaming at (determined by network speed). Hope that makes sense.
The streaming rez on the S60 is determined by the app. The display rez is determined by the HDMI input. Sorry for the confusion. My suggestion is to pick up an outboard device like a Roku and the h..with it.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-13-2014 at 03:42 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #72 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The streaming rez on the S60 is determined by the app. The display rez is determined by the HDMI input. Sorry for the confusion. My suggestion is to pick up an outboard device like a Roku and the h..with it.

Ian
I believe the streaming resolution is determined by network connection speed as well, not just the app. When Panasonic rolled out the firmware update, something happened in that it downgraded network functions (instead of improved) on the TV and/or Netflix (or other apps--yet to be determined).

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to buy a Roku. I paid a lot of money for this TV, so I expect it to stream Netflix at 1080p without any issues on a 250MB fiber optic connection. As it's done for the past two years before the firmware update.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #73 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
I believe the streaming resolution is determined by network connection speed as well, not just the app. When Panasonic rolled out the firmware update, something happened in that it downgraded network functions (instead of improved) on the TV and/or Netflix (or other apps--yet to be determined).

Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to buy a Roku. I paid a lot of money for this TV, so I expect it to stream Netflix at 1080p without any issues on a 250MB fiber optic connection. As it's done for the past two years before the firmware update.
Obviously, the streaming rez is determined by the entire network, but if it's just Netflix, then the app is not producing the full resolution from the interface. Try going on Vudu and playing a 2 minute free HDX movie preview and see if it shows 1080p. Unfortunately it will probably be quite some time before Panasonic corrects this issue if they do it at all. A basic Roku 1080p streamer will set you back about 50 bucks. Hope you get this all worked out.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-13-2014 at 09:29 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #74 of 248 Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The Roku also has literally hundreds of free channels you can add from their extensive Channel Store. I rarely use the apps that come pre-loaded from Panasonic, and I think you'll find Roku software superior. BTW, that Netflix app is also found on my Sony BD Player, which I also never use.
cajieboy is offline  
post #75 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Obviously, the streaming rez is determined by the entire network, but if it's just Netflix, then the app is not producing the full resolution from the interface. Try going on Vudu and playing a 2 minute free HDX movie preview and see if it shows 1080p. Unfortunately it will probably be quite some time before Panasonic corrects this issue if they do it at all. A basic Roku 1080p streamer will set you back about 50 bucks. Hope you get this all worked out.

Ian
The Vudu HDX movie plays, but there is no indication that it's streaming at 1080p. Or is the fact that it even plays mean that it's streaming at 1080p?

95% of the time I only watch Netflix on this TV, so it's doesn't make sense to spend more money that I don't have on a Roku. Panasonic needs to update this firmware, because the last update was really a downgrade. Is this not an issue that everyone is having with this model? Or is it that nobody really checks the streaming quality when using Netflix, so it's still not known to many?
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #76 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
The Vudu HDX movie plays, but there is no indication that it's streaming at 1080p. Or is the fact that it even plays mean that it's streaming at 1080p?

95% of the time I only watch Netflix on this TV, so it's doesn't make sense to spend more money that I don't have on a Roku. Panasonic needs to update this firmware, because the last update was really a downgrade. Is this not an issue that everyone is having with this model? Or is it that nobody really checks the streaming quality when using Netflix, so it's still not known to many?
Try watching the same 2 min preview on HD and then HDX close to the set. If you're getting 1080p you should be able to notice a difference in detail with the two formats. Have you spoken to anyone over the phone?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #77 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
The Vudu HDX movie plays, but there is no indication that it's streaming at 1080p. Or is the fact that it even plays mean that it's streaming at 1080p?
On Vudu, when playing the trailer for a film/tv show, that trailer plays in SD. When you select the 2 min preview however, you are first presented with a menu box that offers the choice of HDX 1080p, HD 720p, and SD 480. Pick HDX, and while it's playing press the pause button and you'll see their player's screen overlay, showing the HDX icon in the upper corner.
Spoiler!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vudu screen_20140206_194240.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	211561  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #78 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
On Vudu, when playing the trailer for a film/tv show, that trailer plays in SD. When you select the 2 min preview however, you are first presented with a menu box that offers the choice of HDX 1080p, HD 720p, and SD 480. Pick HDX, and while it's playing press the pause button and you'll see their player's screen overlay, showing the HDX icon in the upper corner.
The problem is, that although it displays HDX, that doesn't confirm that the set is actually displaying 1080p from the player. When I select HDX on my BD player, which is a 2010 model and is limited to 720p, it still shows HDX.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #79 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
^^....ok then. I was hoping that, if the firmware update borked his Panny HDTV lmiting all embedded apps to 720p, that the Vudu app would show those little bars next to HDX as not being fully lit up.
So, it seems as if there's no way for him to know if the other apps ae affected by this firmware problem. The only thing Trendsetter can do, is continue calling Netflix are complaining in hopes that they will light a fire under Panasonic to fix it the 720 limitation.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #80 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I contacted both Netflix and Panasonic. Neither one were able to help in anyway. All they really did was point fingers at each other and put the blame on my internet service provider. Mind you, I have a 250mb fiber optic connection that does not throttle speeds and the issue did not start happening until the firmware update--so it's obviously a firmware issue. Especially since the firmware update made changes to "network functions", as per Panasonic.

It seems the only solution is for everyone with this set to complain to Panasonic so that they update the firmware. One complaint isn't going to change anything.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #81 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Martinez, CA, USA
Posts: 4,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The problem is, that although it displays HDX, that doesn't confirm that the set is actually displaying 1080p from the player. When I select HDX on my BD player, which is a 2010 model and is limited to 720p, it still shows HDX.

Ian
The VUDU app on my "ancient" Sony player has been updated several times including recently. As I understand it the player app has the decoder. I definitely have 1080p off VUDU when I have HDX. Also is your Plasma showing the input resolution or display resolution? Doesn't the plasma just upscale everything to 1080p? Fixed pixel panels do.
Brian Conrad is offline  
post #82 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Try watching the same 2 min preview on HD and then HDX close to the set. If you're getting 1080p you should be able to notice a difference in detail with the two formats. Have you spoken to anyone over the phone?

Ian
So I tried this on Vudu and I seem to get 720p on HD previews and 1080p on HDX previews--at least from what I can tell watching up close.

Based on this, it seems like the firmware issue is with Netflix and whatever changes they made to the "network functions" for the firmware.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #83 of 248 Old 08-14-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
^^....ok then. I was hoping that, if the firmware update borked his Panny HDTV lmiting all embedded apps to 720p, that the Vudu app would show those little bars next to HDX as not being fully lit up.
The bars only show the amount of bandwidth available to support that format, not the resolution you are receiving from your streaming device.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
The VUDU app on my "ancient" Sony player has been updated several times including recently. As I understand it the player app has the decoder. I definitely have 1080p off VUDU when I have HDX. Also is your Plasma showing the input resolution or display resolution? Doesn't the plasma just upscale everything to 1080p? Fixed pixel panels do.
Although it up-scales to 1080p, when you select the info button it will show the native input signal which when everything else remains equal, determines the picture quality. I disconnected my BD player from the internet and replaced it with my Roku 2. Panasonic does not upgrade their firmware after two model years unless there is an issue. Most of my streaming is currently done on my S60 which is a smart set. I use the Roku occasionally for Fox On Demand, HBO GO, and Showtime Anytime.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
So I tried this on Vudu and I seem to get 720p on HD previews and 1080p on HDX previews--at least from what I can tell watching up close.

Based on this, it seems like the firmware issue is with Netflix and whatever changes they made to the "network functions" for the firmware.
Who is you ISP? It may not be the set, since Netflix streaming issues may be due to an increase in traffic through your network.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-14-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Reply to post
mailiang is offline  
post #84 of 248 Old 08-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Who is you ISP? It may not be the set, since Netflix streaming issues may be due to an increase in traffic through your network.

Ian
Yes, it's the set. I have a 250MB fiber optic connection and the ISP doesn't throttle speeds. Plus I've been getting 1080p streams without an issue for the past 2 years--I would rarely get anything below that. Once the firmware was updated, it no longer goes above 720p, ever (no matter what time of day). So at this point I think it's safe to say it was the firmware update. I know another user mentioned the same issue in these forums.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #85 of 248 Old 08-16-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
Yes, it's the set. I have a 250MB fiber optic connection and the ISP doesn't throttle speeds. Plus I've been getting 1080p streams without an issue for the past 2 years--I would rarely get anything below that. Once the firmware was updated, it no longer goes above 720p, ever (no matter what time of day). So at this point I think it's safe to say it was the firmware update. I know another user mentioned the same issue in these forums.
OK, but who is your ISP?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #86 of 248 Old 08-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
OK, but who is your ISP?

Ian
ISN Communications.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #87 of 248 Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
ISN Communications.
Just playing devils advocate here. They're not listed on Netflix's speed index. They are a small carrier and do not have Open Connect or a peering arrangement that I know of with Netflix. To be certain it's a software issue, it would be interesting to see if others have this problem with the same ISP, and how many other forum members have this issue with your set. Until you posted on the ST50 support thread, I haven't seen anything on this topic on the Plasma forum. I've worked with these manufacturers and I believe they would need to have a significant amount of complaints before they will even consider taking any action to fix this.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.
mailiang is offline  
post #88 of 248 Old 08-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Just playing devils advocate here. They're not listed on Netflix's speed index. They are a small carrier and do not have Open Connect or a peering arrangement that I know of with Netflix. To be certain it's a software issue, it would be interesting to see if others have this problem with the same ISP, and how many other forum members have this issue with your set. Until you posted on the ST50 support thread, I haven't seen anything on this topic on the Plasma forum. I've worked with these manufacturers and I believe they would need to have a significant amount of complaints before they will even consider taking any action to fix this.

Ian
I posted this issue on the ST50 forum last week. Only one person responded, but he was having the same issue. I'm 99.9% sure he's not on the same ISP. I think it's clear that it's a firmware issue at this point. It's also pretty clear that many don't check their streaming quality on Netflix, so it doesn't seem like Panasonic will be fixing this anytime soon, if at all.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #89 of 248 Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
I think it's clear that it's a firmware issue at this point. It's also pretty clear that many don't check their streaming quality on Netflix, so it doesn't seem like Panasonic will be fixing this anytime soon, if at all.
Which means contacting Netflix remains your only option. I know it's a pain to make regular calls to them (they've offered chat only to a select test group for over 9 months now), but if you continued to let them know their service has been detrimentally affected by a device manufacturer's firmware update, they will be forced to contact Panasonic and request/demand it be fixed.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #90 of 248 Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Which means contacting Netflix remains your only option. I know it's a pain to make regular calls to them (they've offered chat only to a select test group for over 9 months now), but if you continued to let them know their service has been detrimentally affected by a device manufacturer's firmware update, they will be forced to contact Panasonic and request/demand it be fixed.
Did that already also, they were of no help. And blamed it on my ISP. Told me to contact them, since there is nothing more than can do for me.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
720p Vs 1080p , Netflix , streaming
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off