Netflix limited to 720p - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 248 Old 08-17-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Simply don't allow them to blame the ISP. The customer service reps aren't techs, they're just answering the phone and reading from scripted suggestions. Just continue to report that after a f/w update, your Panasonic smart tv is no longer receiving 1080 feeds from Netflix. You know it's not the ISP because if it were, the other DEVICES YOU USE-your laptop, PS3, Roku, Android tablet, visiting friends mobile devices (erm, yes, exaggerate! ) would be affected as well and you had no problems with your wonderful service provider that's not one of the Evil 3 that has a history of being repeatedly accused of throttling Netflix. You've already contacted Panasonic and they are blaming the problem on Netflix. Ask that they pressure Panasonic to issue an update that corrects this.
Be aggressive-but not overly hostile, and let them know that you've narrowed this problem down to Panasonic, not them, and not your ISP.

I hope this gets taken care of asap.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 248 Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
Simply don't allow them to blame the ISP. The customer service reps aren't techs, they're just answering the phone and reading from scripted suggestions. Just continue to report that after a f/w update, your Panasonic smart tv is no longer receiving 1080 feeds from Netflix. You know it's not the ISP because if it were, the other DEVICES YOU USE-your laptop, PS3, Roku, Android tablet, visiting friends mobile devices (erm, yes, exaggerate! ) would be affected as well and you had no problems with your wonderful service provider that's not one of the Evil 3 that has a history of being repeatedly accused of throttling Netflix. You've already contacted Panasonic and they are blaming the problem on Netflix. Ask that they pressure Panasonic to issue an update that corrects this.
Be aggressive-but not overly hostile, and let them know that you've narrowed this problem down to Panasonic, not them, and not your ISP. I hope this gets taken care of asap.
I doubt you will get much luck with that. Changes come with numbers. I would suggest that you post this issue on a separate thread on the Plasma forum and see if you can generate enough interest from other members to address it. When certain Panasonic PDP's were experiencing rising blacks, it received such strong criticism here on AVS, it snowballed to the point that consumer electronic sites and publications like CNET, Sound&Vision etc. made reference to this forum to document the issue. Panasonic eventually admitted that it was a problem, and although there wasn't a fix for existing sets that were affected, they started making changes the next model year to resolve it.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-19-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Typo
mailiang is offline  
post #93 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergoobr View Post
From what i can tell the built in app is the "newer" interface because it is the white logo with red text. Prior it was opposite. I have logged into my account setting and verified it is set to High. I have also deactivated all devices and re-signed in through the tv to make sure its using the correct settings. INTERESTING UPDATE: I was on the chat with netflix support this time and they have moved the case up to their "engineers" to have this issue looked into. They say my TV is on the list to fully support 1080p resolution and tested my bandwith. Netflix is saying I have an excellent bandwidth connection and i also find it hard to believe that a 5 year old PS3 can work better than this TV. Anyways, Netflix engineers are contacting Panasonic to further investigate this issue. I will post any updates!
Another 1080p capable device has apparantly, been limited to 720p this weekend. Mikescott has narrowed the limitation down to devices using to old UI. Re-reading your response, it's not clear (to me) which UI your tv has. Does your Panasonic HDTV have the old Netflix common UI or the new Netflix common UI?

Thanks.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #94 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,123
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I don't buy the old UI theory. My Sony 1100 and 3100, both with the old UI, still ramp straight up to 5800k 1080p super HD. IE11 on Win 8.1 with the new UI, on the other hand, is now limited to 720p.
mdavej is offline  
post #95 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
We aren't saying that all devices with the old UI will be hit. Just that of three devices experiening the this issue, the old UI is what they seemingly, have in common.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #96 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I don't buy the old UI theory. My Sony 1100 and 3100, both with the old UI, still ramp straight up to 5800k 1080p super HD. IE11 on Win 8.1 with the new UI, on the other hand, is now limited to 720p.

That certainly weakens the theory . I have three devices from three different OEMs with the old UI (WD TV Live, Sony BDP-S390, Panasonic DMP-BDT220) and they all have the problem. (Having ramped to 720p once, the S390 immediately leaps to it on subsequent stream starts in a session, the way it would normally start at 5800 Kbps if it'd gotten there once). I've tried several other things and nothing else has the problem. (BTW, the HTML5 UI in IE11 on Win8 is not the new common UI, just not the old comon one).

I've asked reddice to try Fire TV.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #97 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The Fire TV went up to 5800 kbps right away playing the El Fuente short so it is not limited to the old UI.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Sony PS4 Wired. Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
reddice is online now  
post #98 of 248 Old 08-31-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Both Roku 1's and PS3 all ramp up to 5800K fairly rapidly here . Win7 x64 PC/Silverlight is ofc still limited to 720p maybe new x64 Chrome will eventually change that if they can implement adequate DRM

on a brief topic hijack below :

Win 7 x64 and 8 x64 new Chrome 64 bit stable release download is painless no need to uninstall 32 bit Chrome browser just download Chrome 64 bit it installs over 32 bit Chrome to same x86 directory as x32 and retains settings and bookmarks as before. If you don't have Chrome you can ofc import bookmarks from other browsers .
Chrome x 64 is Faster and more stable and secure than x32 Chrome or any other browser out there .
see more here AVS Thread : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/114-hd...l#post27030249

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 09-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
tubetwister is online now  
post #99 of 248 Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Newbie
 
frapso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wd live smp is showing the same behavior, ramps up to 3000 kps and stops,xbox one on the same router 5800 kbps,this all started shortly after a firmware update.
frapso is offline  
post #100 of 248 Old 09-02-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andyross63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 2,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I haven't used it in awhile, but just tested with my WDTV Live SMP. I have NOT updated it to the latest firmware. It still has the previous one that was showing 1080SD. I tried both ElFuente and an episode of that Horseman cartoon. Both were limited to 720HD, and both ramped up very rapidly. I have an Ethernet switch (hard wired connections) and can see the activity. It was working normally, and not struggling.

Has any tried double-checking the rate limiting options in the Netflix user settings? Maybe try setting lower, then back to High? Or do you now need Auto?

I remember a few years ago, just before they made the settings available, my Sony TV and BD player (with the very old Sony non-adaptive interface) were limited to the lowest resolution for a few days until it was available and I could change it. I wonder if there is something similar to that going on?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
andyross63 is online now  
post #101 of 248 Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I haven't used it in awhile, but just tested with my WDTV Live SMP. I have NOT updated it to the latest firmware. It still has the previous one that was showing 1080SD. I tried both ElFuente and an episode of that Horseman cartoon. Both were limited to 720HD, and both ramped up very rapidly. I have an Ethernet switch (hard wired connections) and can see the activity. It was working normally, and not struggling.

Has any tried double-checking the rate limiting options in the Netflix user settings? Maybe try setting lower, then back to High? Or do you now need Auto?

I remember a few years ago, just before they made the settings available, my Sony TV and BD player (with the very old Sony non-adaptive interface) were limited to the lowest resolution for a few days until it was available and I could change it. I wonder if there is something similar to that going on?

I've tried Auto and high, no such luck. As I posted on the Netflix Streaming thread, Cablevision an Open Connect partner, has checked my recent data usage and has confirmed that I currently have more then enough bandwidth to support 5800 kbps Netflix streams. The IT tech there also claims that Netflix provides them with new updated OC hardware monthly. IMO, many smart devices that have the older interface, will not be getting the updated encodes that will be needed to support Super HD. If you have a device that can be updated to the new interface you should be good to go, but if you have a smart TV or BD player you're probably out of luck. It's called built in obsolescence. I'll probably be getting another Roku. At least they update their interface. The older Roku 2's never got the new UI due to tech issues. Hopefully that has changed with the newer players.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 09-02-2014 at 05:37 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #102 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I checked my Roku 2 XD today and found it too, constrained to 720p. So I called in to report both it, and my Toshiba BDX33 blu ray player were being limited. Based on the responses many have posted about their encounters with customer service reps, I was expecting more of the same. I'm pleased to say that I couldn't have had a better experience...

Since there was a record of my having already called in over 2 months ago about the Toshiba (and the separate issue of Playback settings no longer permitting each profile to have it's own video quailty level set-they're defaulted to the main profile's settings since March), I'm guessing the rep took the complaint a bit less casually that the ones others have dealt with. I had gone over my intended rebuttals before calling-no...it's not the router, no it's not the ISP, it's not the HDMI cable, no, I don't need to reboot anything.... But none of that was nessesary.

She quickly moved to contact a Tech, and relayed my observations to them. Nothing I streamed on the Toshiba for over 2 months (maybe even longer than that), went any higher than 3000kbps/720p. Checking the El Fuente:60 MP10 and Example Short test clips on the Roku, I was dismayed to see it affected by the same problem. The PS3 and Samsung HDTV apps went up tho 1080p as normal. Wait, Insert queries over what playback settings I had enabled on the website-all profiles were set to High, from the normal Auto before calling in, and after testing the clips first....So the Tech asked that I play a title, using the PS3, they knew was 1080HD-House of Cards, and would monitor the results as it streamed. I had already started the El Fuente clip moments before on the Toshiba, allowing the Tech to observe both devices in action and the data stream going to both. This took several minutes.

The CSR relayed that the Tech could definately see that ''there was a problem'' with the stream, as the PS3's HoC feed was going to 1080 while the test clip on the Toshiba was being limited. The Tech could not tell why this was happening, and relayed that they could confirm the issue and would investigate a means for resolving it. Huzzah!

During the lulls between the relays with the Tech, I took the opportunity to ask the CSR if she would mind writing down the avsforum address and the sub forum name, and pass it along to the engineering department. I explained that there was a great deal of frustration, building towards hostility, as many people were seeing the 720 limitation hit their various devices. The techs there could read for themselves the problems that were happening and know it's not the ISP/router/Martians, etc, annoying scripted responses that were angering those that were also calling in. . Plus it would be faster for them to assimilate the info than it took during the near 35 mins I spent on the phone.

Whether she did that or not, I can't say, but she made me feel positive enough to believe that she would (in other words, she did her job...) .

So, continue to call in, or tweet, so that the volume of reports will push them into taking care of this asap.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #103 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
I checked my Roku 2 XD today and found it too, constrained to 720p. So I called in to report both it, and my Toshiba BDX33 blu ray player were being limited. Based on the responses many have posted about their encounters with customer service reps, I was expecting more of the same. I'm pleased to say that I couldn't have had a better experience...

Since there was a record of my having already called in over 2 months ago about the Toshiba (and the separate issue of Playback settings no longer permitting each profile to have it's own video quailty level set-they're defaulted to the main profile's settings since March), I'm guessing the rep took the complaint a bit less casually that the ones others have dealt with. I had gone over my intended rebuttals before calling-no...it's not the router, no it's not the ISP, it's not the HDMI cable, no, I don't need to reboot anything.... But none of that was nessesary.

She quickly moved to contact a Tech, and relayed my observations to them. Nothing I streamed on the Toshiba for over 2 months (maybe even longer than that), went any higher than 3000kbps/720p. Checking the El Fuente:60 MP10 and Example Short test clips on the Roku, I was dismayed to see it affected by the same problem. The PS3 and Samsung HDTV apps went up tho 1080p as normal. Wait, Insert queries over what playback settings I had enabled on the website-all profiles were set to High, from the normal Auto before calling in, and after testing the clips first....So the Tech asked that I play a title, using the PS3, they knew was 1080HD-House of Cards, and would monitor the results as it streamed. I had already started the El Fuente clip moments before on the Toshiba, allowing the Tech to observe both devices in action and the data stream going to both. This took several minutes.

The CSR relayed that the Tech could definately see that ''there was a problem'' with the stream, as the PS3's HoC feed was going to 1080 while the test clip on the Toshiba was being limited. The Tech could not tell why this was happening, and relayed that they could confirm the issue and would investigate a means for resolving it. Huzzah!

During the lulls between the relays with the Tech, I took the opportunity to ask the CSR if she would mind writing down the avsforum address and the sub forum name, and pass it along to the engineering department. I explained that there was a great deal of frustration, building towards hostility, as many people were seeing the 720 limitation hit their various devices. The techs there could read for themselves the problems that were happening and know it's not the ISP/router/Martians, etc, annoying scripted responses that were angering those that were also calling in. . Plus it would be faster for them to assimilate the info than it took during the near 35 mins I spent on the phone.

Whether she did that or not, I can't say, but she made me feel positive enough to believe that she would (in other words, she did her job...) .

So, continue to call in, or tweet, so that the volume of reports will push them into taking care of this asap.
I assume the Toshiba has the older UI? What about your Samsung TV?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 09-03-2014 at 05:10 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #104 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^Yes, the Toshiba has the older UI, and the Samsung-purchased in January, has the new one.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #105 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
It's fixed--thanks to dandurte in Brazil for pointing it out in another thread. Hallelujah, praise the Lord and let jubilation reign!

I've tried it on WD TV Live (3rd gen), Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and Roku 2XS. They all now go up to the 1080p encodes (the S390 is limited to the 4300 Kbps 1080p one, but that's an old bug which was never fixed).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #106 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's fixed--thanks to dandurte in Brazil for pointing it out in another thread. Hallelujah, praise the Lord and let jubilation reign!

I've tried it on WD TV Live (3rd gen), Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Sony BDP-S390 and Roku 2XS. They all now go up to the 1080p encodes (the S390 is limited to the 4300 Kbps 1080p one, but that's an old bug which was never fixed).
It seems like it was an issue with the old UI. All those calls must have gotten their attention. I would like to thank everyone who contacted Netflix, for their support!


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #107 of 248 Old 09-03-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
It seems like it was an issue with the old UI.

Not just the old UI, since it affected the native Roku UI as well. Also, it did not affect the old UI on some platforms, such as Sony's BDP-S1100 and S3100 and Amazon Fire TV. Whatever--it's fixed.

"Built in obsolescence", indeed .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is offline  
post #108 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
After reading the latest entries in this thread I tried my 3 streaming devices on the Netflix El Fuente:60 MP10 video last night.

The Roku 3 went to 1080.
The Apple TV 3 went to 1080.
The WDTV Live (3rd generation) went to 1080 but bounced back and forth to 720.

They all started at very low bitrates (250 or 350 - don't remember exactly) and took a while to ramp up.

The WDTV Live is great for streaming from my NAS but its performance with Netflix has always been inconsistent.

The WDTV Live firmware is 2.01.86. I have TWC 15/1.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Mr.G is offline  
post #109 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Most likely the WDTV Netflix app has a tiny buffer. If it is the old UI then it is most likely at best 25 seconds which can cause the bouncing back and fourth of crappy to great quality if there is a slight sign of congestion. The buffers on the Roku 3 and Apple TV 3 are much bigger.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Sony PS4 Wired. Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
reddice is online now  
post #110 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
The Roku 2 XD is no longer being constrained to 720p as of last night. I wanted to wait and see if it held before reporting in. I am noticing however, that it's starting out on, to quote reddice, ''those crappy 235kbps encodes'' (red, I hereby vindicate you ) for close to 20 seconds-an eternity it feels. They are indeed, terrible to look at, particularly, when watching tv shows that start immediately. All in all, it takes a total of 37 second before it reaches 5800. Normally, the streams started at the higher standard def 1050 encode before quickly ramping up.
In case you're wondering how I could measure the timing on the XD as the NF app doesn't have the handy status info display that the PS3 (and others) has, the test clip Test Pattern Downscaling 2997fps has an onscreen time counter along with the bitrate/resolution details.

My Toshiba br player remains throttled at 720p however. Here's hoping they iron this out as well.
reddice likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Westly-C is online now  
post #111 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
My Toshiba br player remains throttled at 720p however. Here's hoping they iron this out as well.

Huh. All four of my devices which were constrained to 720p aren't any longer.
michaeltscott is offline  
post #112 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Post Built In Obsolescense

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Not just the old UI, since it affected the native Roku UI as well. Also, it did not affect the old UI on some platforms, such as Sony's BDP-S1100 and S3100 and Amazon Fire TV. Whatever--it's fixed.

"Built in obsolescence", indeed .
Now be nice Mike. Native Roku UI? Elaborate please. And didn't you state that it didn't effect any device with the new UI? (excluding the Windows 8 app I believe) It appeared to me at the time that the problem was just spreading on the older interface. My set didn't have a problem until late last week. The fact remains, unless there's a technical issue, most manufacturers of smart devices, excluding some players like the PS3, do not update their streaming software. http://www.howtogeek.com/176392/smar...nt-a-smart-tv/ So excuse me if I used that terminology.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 09-04-2014 at 01:09 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #113 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
After reading the latest entries in this thread I tried my 3 streaming devices on the Netflix El Fuente:60 MP10 video last night.


The WDTV Live (3rd generation) went to 1080 but bounced back and forth to 720.
My S60 did the same thing, I changed the playback setting to auto, restarted the program I was watching and it was fine after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
My Toshiba br player remains throttled at 720p however. Here's hoping they iron this out as well.
I would cal them and give them an update. I assume it has always streamed 1080p. My older Panasonic BD player from 2010 does not.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #114 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Native Roku UI? Elaborate please.

This. Most Roku apps have this same basic UI look-and-feel, written in BrightScript, Roku's own little scripting language. That form of the Netflix UI has been around for at least three years, I think (at least since Roku 2 XS launched in July 2011), and is present on all 2nd and 3rd gen models other than Roku 3 and the Roku HDMI Streaming Stick. They gave up on porting the new common Netflix UI to any more older models because they couldn't get it to perform as well as they'd like (it's on Roku 3 and the HDMI stick and will come standard on any future model), so that's what's running on the vast majority of 1080p-capable Roku devices.

Quote:
And didn't you state that it didn't effect any device with the new UI?

There's been no report of it that I've seen.

Quote:
It appeared to me at the time that the problem was just spreading on the older interface. My set didn't have a problem until late last week. The fact is, most manufacturers of smart devices, excluding some players like the PS3, do not update their software.http://www.howtogeek.com/176392/smar...nt-a-smart-tv/ So excuse me if I used that terminology.

That old common Netflix UI is written in web tech languages (HTML5 and JavaScript, etc) running in a Webkit-based engine. They download a large part of it dynamically every time you start the app. This allows them to make substantial changes and fixes without any update to the resident code, which would require a firmware update by the OEM, in most cases (not game consoles or Rokus). When they added profiles, the feature appeared in the Netflix app on every device that I owned on the day that they announced the feature and none of them had any firmware upgrade.

The new common Netflix UI uses similar technology, except that they've ditched Webkit, which includes tons of code for doing stuff that their UI never does and never will, and concocted their own layout/rendering engine, pared down and optimized for their application.

Most of my "smart" devices get firmware upgrades through the first year or so after launch. After new models come out they'll only get updates if something is well and truly broken.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 09-04-2014 at 02:20 PM.
michaeltscott is offline  
post #115 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I didn't have a chance to read all the replies, but my ST50 is still stuck at 720p. Not sure how you guys were able to solve the problem.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #116 of 248 Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
I didn't have a chance to read all the replies, but my ST50 is still stuck at 720p. Not sure how you guys were able to solve the problem.

We didn't solve it--Netflix apparently did. The player apps just started working right. Maybe the fix is taking time to propagate to every device type.
michaeltscott is offline  
post #117 of 248 Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
We didn't solve it--Netflix apparently did. The player apps just started working right. Maybe the fix is taking time to propagate to every device type.
So you're saying the issue was with Netflix and their app? I still find it very hard to believe that it was entirely coincidental, and that the day Panasonic upgraded the firmware (to improve network functions) on the ST50, Netflix stopped streaming above 720p.
Trendsetter88 is offline  
post #118 of 248 Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 17,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
So you're saying the issue was with Netflix and their app? I still find it very hard to believe that it was entirely coincidental, and that the day Panasonic upgraded the firmware (to improve network functions) on the ST50, Netflix stopped streaming above 720p.

The firmware update on your TV didn't cause the problem to manifest on my TV Live, Panasonic and Sony BDPs or Roku 2 XS. Perhaps it's another problem caused by the update coincidental to the problem with Netflix's apps? (Equally hard to believe).
michaeltscott is offline  
post #119 of 248 Old 09-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I think it could be your ISP. I know Time Warner throttles Netflix as well as other ISP. You can always set up a VPN to get around Netflix throttling and get full HD.
corrado_89 is offline  
post #120 of 248 Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Westly-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Techno World
Posts: 3,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^^ The issue is that certain devices-such as his Panasonic hdtv and my Toshiba blu ray player, are being limited to 720p only while our other devices aren't. The ISP can't know what device we access Netflix on, only Netflix can (thru the app on the unit we are using at the time).

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 09-06-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Westly-C is online now  
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
720p Vs 1080p , Netflix , streaming
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off