Netflix limited to 720p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Netflix limited to 720p

I have a Panasonic TC-p55st50. I am using the Netflix app within Viera Connect apps. These are native to the TV and cannot be uninstalled. when watching any show, I am limited to 720p resolution. If I connect a PS3 using HDMI and login to my netflix account, Netflix will stream sup to 1080p. But ONLY when using the PS3. I have tried connecting a LAN cable directly or using wi-fi. I have eliminated my router and connected directly to my cable modem with no change. I have called netflix support and my internet company and both insist there is a setting within the TV that is limiting the quality. I have gone through every setting and menu in this TV and no luck.. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergoobr View Post
I have a Panasonic TC-p55st50. I am using the Netflix app within Viera Connect apps. These are native to the TV and cannot be uninstalled. when watching any show, I am limited to 720p resolution. If I connect a PS3 using HDMI and login to my netflix account, Netflix will stream sup to 1080p. But ONLY when using the PS3. I have tried connecting a LAN cable directly or using wi-fi. I have eliminated my router and connected directly to my cable modem with no change. I have called netflix support and my internet company and both insist there is a setting within the TV that is limiting the quality. I have gone through every setting and menu in this TV and no luck.. Please help!
There was a firmware update issued in June 2014.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...nloads&support

Don't know if this will solve your problem but you may want to give it a shot.

There are the usual Panasonic disclaimers if you mess it up.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I will look into that. I just assumed that the FW was downloaded through the TV's "update" option. Either way, it worth looking in to.
post #4 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Post Software Updates

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
There was a firmware update issued in June 2014.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...nloads&support

Don't know if this will solve your problem but you may want to give it a shot.

There are the usual Panasonic disclaimers if you mess it up.
Before downloading any new updates be sure to check your Network info in the menu to see if your software is up to date. If not, make sure your auto update function is on.

Ian
tubetwister likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #5 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Before downloading any new updates be sure to check your Network info in the menu to see if your software is up to date. If not, make sure your auto update function is on.

Ian
Software version says its 1.27 and auto checking is turned on. I would have to assume this is the same FW/SW that is on the Panasonic website for download. My gut feeling is that the netflix app built into this TV is having issues or is limiting the quality, since using netflix with other devices will display in 1080. However there is no way to uninstall and re-install the app. In testing, I have logged out of netflix account and re-established my account through the TV as well. No change.... What setting within the TV could affect the quality?? This is getting very frustrating.
post #6 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You're correct, your software is up to date. Are you sure that the 2012 ST50 supports Netflix 1080p and Super HD streaming? I know my 2013 S60 does, and streams Netflix 5.1 audio, but my Panasonic 2010 smart BD player has the older interface, and does not.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-08-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #7 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I have a hunch that the app used in the old VierraConnect systems has never - will never support more than 720/stereo. Been a while since I used mine, so I won't say for certain. I also doubt that updating firmware on the TV will have any impact on the apps.
post #8 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Good point. Panasonic does not update firmware to upgrade Netflix interfaces, but will do an update to fix a bug. Also, I know for a fact the ST50 only offer's Netflix in stereo, so I can only assume it probably has the older interface that only supports 720p video.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #9 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
^ Good point. Panasonic does not update firmware to upgrade Netflix interfaces, but will do an update to fix a bug. Also, I know for a fact the ST50 only offer's Netflix in stereo, so I can only assume it probably has the older interface that only supports 720p video.

Ian
that must be the issue. It just boggles my mind that Panasonic/Netflix would not have an "updated app" to support Higher HD resolutions. Panasonic must assume that you will buy a "connected" device. This is why my PS3 streams up to 1080p. I just don't want all the clutter in my living room and the Netflix app was already there. Netflix phone support stated only that the TV can do 1080p, But said nothing about the App itself having limitations. This was my original suspicion
post #10 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

All their 2013 and later smart devices offer the newer interface with Super HD. You just happened to miss the boat.

Ian

post #11 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
that must be the issue. It just boggles my mind that Panasonic/Netflix would not have an "updated app" to support Higher HD resolutions. Panasonic must assume that you will buy a "connected" device. This is why my PS3 streams up to 1080p. I just don't want all the clutter in my living room and the Netflix app was already there. Netflix phone support stated only that the TV can do 1080p, But said nothing about the App itself having limitations. This was my original suspicion
I have no doubt that Panasonic and Netflix would both point fingers at each other, but its Netflix who decides what UI goes into which device. Its also likely that the Panny does not have the processing power required to run the newer UI, or to process 1080p video input. Are there any TVs that can output 5.1 audio from streaming apps?
post #12 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I have no doubt that Panasonic and Netflix would both point fingers at each other, but its Netflix who decides what UI goes into which device. Its also likely that the Panny does not have the processing power required to run the newer UI, or to process 1080p video input. Are there any TVs that can output 5.1 audio from streaming apps?

The Samsung F9000 did with the original one connect. They currently have an issue with the 2014 one connect (used on F9000 2014 UHD Kit, HU9000, and HU8550) for Netflix and will only stream 2 channel stereo. Both Netflix and Samsung are aware of the issue and say a "fix" is coming soon. Amazon 5.1 works fine. Netflix app also streams 4K; with same current problem of stereo only. I use my OPPO Netflix app instead of the Samsung version.

Last edited by rlb; 07-08-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #13 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
For the record, which app is on the Panasonic TV? The older or the new one that the PS3 has? According to Netflix' Help section, the VT50 series is 1080 capable. The specs posted (on Amazom) for this set says it's a 2012 model, and I find it hard to believe an HDTV that recent would be given an app that would be limited to 720p.

Have you checked the Playback settings under your Netflix account online? Set to High or Auto on the master account profile? The secondary profiles for the last 3 months, have been defaulting to the Playback settings of the primary profile (e.g profile 2 set to Medium, streams will be 1080 if that's what the primary profile is set to).

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #14 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Its also likely that the Panny does not have the processing power required to run the newer UI, or to process 1080p video input. Are there any TVs that can output 5.1 audio from streaming apps?
My S60 outputs 1080p from the USB port, but my older BD player only outputs 720p from the USB. It can also stream 1080p Super HD since it has the newer UI, and processes 5.1 audio through it's optical out or HDMI ARC. However, I've yet to see a set that can output 5.1 from it's audio input. Most people who care about sound quality will probably invest in a separate sound system rather then stick with a TV that offers inferior sound quality anyway.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.
post #15 of 199 Old 07-08-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
For the record, which app is on the Panasonic TV? The older or the new one that the PS3 has? According to Netflix' Help section, the VT50 series is 1080 capable. The specs posted (on Amazom) for this set says it's a 2012 model, and I find it hard to believe an HDTV that recent would be given an app that would be limited to 720p.
My Panasonic BD player is a DMP85. It was the top of the line unit until they came out with the 3D player. It does not support 1080p and 5.1 streaming off of Netflix, but does support 1080p and 5.1 audio from other content providers such as Vudu HDX. Panasonic updated the Netflix UI on all BD players in 2011, but I believe it did not start using the newer interface on their TV's until 2013.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.
post #16 of 199 Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Have you checked the Playback settings under your Netflix account online? Set to High or Auto on the master account profile? The secondary profiles for the last 3 months, have been defaulting to the Playback settings of the primary profile (e.g profile 2 set to Medium, streams will be 1080 if that's what the primary profile is set to).
From what i can tell the built in app is the "newer" interface because it is the white logo with red text. Prior it was opposite. I have logged into my account setting and verified it is set to High. I have also deactivated all devices and re-signed in through the tv to make sure its using the correct settings. INTERESTING UPDATE: I was on the chat with netflix support this time and they have moved the case up to their "engineers" to have this issue looked into. They say my TV is on the list to fully support 1080p resolution and tested my bandwith. Netflix is saying I have an excellent bandwidth connection and i also find it hard to believe that a 5 year old PS3 can work better than this TV. Anyways, Netflix engineers are contacting Panasonic to further investigate this issue. I will post any updates!
post #17 of 199 Old 07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You may want to also post this issue in the plasma forum and ST50 support thread. They can confirm if the ST50 has the 1080p Netflix interface.

Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-10-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added Link
post #18 of 199 Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Netflix support page says that the ST50 has 1080p support (here).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #19 of 199 Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
i also find it hard to believe that a 5 year old PS3 can work better than this TV.

Actually, I don't think Netflix keeps any platform more current than the PS3. I just received a new Netflix app this afternoon on the PS3. PS3 upgrades new apps almost immediately and processing power will never be an issue. Many TVs and players take months if they ever upgrade.
post #20 of 199 Old 07-11-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Netflix support page says that the ST50 has 1080p support (here).
I dug up the owners manual and they are correct, the ST50 has the same software as my S60. There is no reason why he can't get 1080p and 5.1 audio from Netflix. If it's only showing 720p on his TV's display, it may be that the actual Netflix streaming speed from his ISP is not fast enough to support 1080p for that particular set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Actually, I don't think Netflix keeps any platform more current than the PS3. I just received a new Netflix app this afternoon on the PS3. PS3 upgrades new apps almost immediately and processing power will never be an issue. Many TVs and players take months if they ever upgrade.
Most smart TV's and players only receive updates for two years. Not sure about other manufacturers, but as I posted before, Panasonic does not upgrade interfaces. It's one of the reasons why I kept my Roku as a backup.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-11-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
post #21 of 199 Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PS3 is kind of Netflix's design center. New features pop up on it before anything else. There are some features they tried out on it which never got implemented elsewhere (that weird "Max" recommendation "game" that's still there). At one point they said that it was their most popular TV-connected platform; I don't know if that's still true.

I just plugged in my PS3 and updated to the latest version (I had to take a system update first; been a while since I touched it). There are no notable improvements, just a new splash screen (big red logo on a black background) and app icon on the XMB (red logo on a white square).

I never use any of my gaming consoles for streaming video--they draw many times as much power as my Roku 3 or TiVo. Recently Roku 3 has become my favorite; in the last update, the Netflix channel app (same one as on the TiVo, PS3 and Xbox 360) now starts up in a breathtaking 2 seconds flat, bringing me back to precisely whatever point I was at when I last stopped it; if I was scrolling through a list of series episodes, that's where I get returned to. It's magical . If it had the stream info display like TiVo, PS3, my Sony BDP and WD TV Live, it would be perfect.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #22 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
There is no reason why he can't get 1080p and 5.1 audio from Netflix. If it's only showing 720p on his TV's display, it may be that the actual Netflix streaming speed from his ISP is not fast enough to support 1080p for that particular set.
Orrrrrrrrrr, something hinky's going on at Netflix. I just tested my Toshiba BDK33 Blu Ray player. I noticed before cybergoobr posted about his Panny HDTV, that streams were coming in at 720P and going no higher. I assumed it was a combo of time of day, wifi from the router issues, or Comcast shenanigans. It hadn't bothered me because with summer here, extra streaming is going on and saving data usage was on my mind.

Running the ''El Fuente: 60 MP10'' clip and seeing it top out at 3000kbps 720p, I pulled the ethernet cable from my Samsung tv and plugged it in to the Tosh and tried again. Same result. Then, played the clip on the Roku 2 XD, which is wifi only. It ramped up to 5800 kbps 1080 in seconds. So the Toshiba hitting the wall at 720 isn't (I believe) a router issue or due to Comcast horse play.

It's possible specific devices may be having streams limited to 720 on Netflix' end. So cybergoobr should give them a call back again and continue to report his issues. It's not the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140712_135340.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	157777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140712_135758.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	157785  
reddice likes this.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!

Last edited by Westly-C; 07-12-2014 at 01:22 PM.
post #23 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are titles that stream at 720 max and are still called "HD". I've seen a couple of them lately at Netflix. I can't say that this is a change from the past. But I was watching one and quickly switched to "Example Short" which immediately ramped to SuperHD.
post #24 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My Panasonic DMP-BDT110 BDP is limited to 720p, but it doesn't seem to use quite the same set of Netflix video encodes as other devices that I own do. When I stream "Example Short 23.976" or "El Fuente: 60 MP10" on it I don't see the burned in resolution/bit rate information.

There are more than a few HD titles which are 720p-only (720p is an HD resolution--most HD cable network channels are 720p, as well as ABC and Fox). I've even seen some titles which are limited to 3850 Kbps 1080p Netflix video without the 4300- or 5800 Kpbs "Super HD" encodes. Back when they used the "Super HD" designation, it was possible to tell which were 720p only; the ones which were labelled simply "HD". You can still see that in devices whose players feature the old Netflix common UI (my Panasonic BDT220, WD TV Live and Sony BDP-S390). Scanning through my My List queue on my BDT220, I see that Chasing Amy, The Cider House Rules, Emma, Equilibrium, Life is Beautiful, Mimic, The Prophecy (also II & III), Reservoir Dogs, Strictly Ballroom and They are all marked "HD" whereas all other HD titles are marked "Super HD". It's probable that they're all limited to 720p, though some may have the non-Super-HD 1080p encode as well.

Often HD titles can't be played in HD on PCs (Silverlight player, HTML5 player in IE11, Win8 Netflix app), though sometimes they're just limited to 720p. I've seen some titles which I could play in 1080p in the HTML5 player but not the Win8 app (the Silverlight web browser player is limited to 720p for all titles).

"
" -- hookbill
post #25 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are titles that stream at 720 max and are still called "HD". I've seen a couple of them lately at Netflix. I can't say that this is a change from the past. But I was watching one and quickly switched to "Example Short" which immediately ramped to SuperHD.
Quote:
My Panasonic DMP-BDT110 BDP is limited to 720p, but it doesn't seem to use quite the same set of Netflix video encodes as other devices that I own do. When I stream "Example Short 23.976" or "El Fuente: 60 MP10" on it I don't see the burned in resolution/bit rate information.

There are more than a few HD titles which are 720p-only (720p is an HD resolution--most HD cable network channels are 720p, as well as ABC and Fox). I've even seen some titles which are limited to 3850 Kbps 1080p Netflix video without the 4300- or 5800 Kpbs "Super HD" encodes. Back when they used the "Super HD" designation, it was possible to tell which were 720p only; the ones which were labelled simply "HD". You can still see that in devices whose players feature the old Netflix common UI (my Panasonic BDT220, WD TV Live and Sony BDP-S390). Scanning through my My List queue on my BDT220, I see that Chasing Amy, The Cider House Rules, Emma, Equilibrium, Life is Beautiful, Mimic, The Prophecy (also II & III), Reservoir Dogs, Strictly Ballroom and They are all marked "HD" whereas all other HD titles are marked "Super HD". It's probable that they're all limited to 720p, though some may have the non-Super-HD 1080p encode as well.

Often HD titles can't be played in HD on PCs (Silverlight player, HTML5 player in IE11, Win8 Netflix app), though sometimes they're just limited to 720p. I've seen some titles which I could play in 1080p in the HTML5 player but not the Win8 app (the Silverlight web browser player is limited to 720p for all titles).
My Panasonic shows Super HD and I haven't found any issues with 1080p streams. Since the ST50 uses the same software, if he's actually watching 1080p content, which he claims he gets on his PS3, then I wouldn't be surprise if the issue with his set was with his ISP.

Ian

post #26 of 199 Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Quote:
My Panasonic DMP-BDT110 BDP is limited to 720p...
My Panasonic shows Super HD and I haven't found any issues with 1080p streams.

Let me be clear that I was speaking specifically about my 2011 Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and not of Netflix on Panasonic equipment in general; my 2012 Panasonic DMP-BDT220 streams resolutions up to Super HD without a problem. I was responding to Westley-C's statement, "It's possible specific devices may be having streams limited to 720 on Netflix' end". It's not just possibly; I own such a device (though I don't use it anymore).

"
" -- hookbill
post #27 of 199 Old 07-13-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Let me be clear that I was speaking specifically about my 2011 Panasonic DMP-BDT110 and not of Netflix on Panasonic equipment in general; my 2012 Panasonic DMP-BDT220 streams resolutions up to Super HD without a problem. I was responding to Westley-C's statement, "It's possible specific devices may be having streams limited to 720 on Netflix' end". It's not just possibly; I own such a device (though I don't use it anymore).
Exactly. That's was also my point and why I posted, that unlike my older Panny 2010 BD player, my S60 streams Super HD and so should the ST50.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-13-2014 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Typo
post #28 of 199 Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
''El Fuente: 60 MP10'' is the only clip I use now to test a device. You can actually tell how long the buffer is at the end because they show content all the way though unlike the Example short which shows test patterns that even my Fire TV shows a 3 to 4 minute buffer which is wrong as it is actually around crappy 25-30 seconds which is why it is terrible for streaming Netflix during peak hours. Using the ''El Fuente: 60 MP10'' clip the PS3 is around 2 1/2 minutes, the Roku 3 around 1 1/2 minutes and the ATV3 around 1 minute.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Cats are the best pets.
post #29 of 199 Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, I've managed to make it through 5 episodes of season 2 "Hemlock Grove" mostly in SuperHD and only a few moments of the dreaded downres. But then it's intended audience is probably doing other things Friday and Saturday nights.
post #30 of 199 Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Then I guess it's intended audience doesn't include you or me.

Ian

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
720p Vs 1080p , Netflix , streaming
Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page