• 1 Post By mailiang
  • 1 Post By pajama sam

post #1 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Want to cancel your comcast svc? Be prepared

ha - had a similiar experience with earthlink, when, after 10 years of svc with them, i called to cancel my service with them

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...mcast-service/

"‘Rep. Got Straight Up Belligerent’: Just Listen to What Happens When a Man Simply Tries to Cancel His Comcast Service"

there's also audio at the link - apparently his wife, after 10 minutes of trying to cancel their svc, gave the phone to her husband who recorded the conversation

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
They were both being jerks, he could have made up any reason for cancelling but he was recording the call and wanted to stretch it out.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 19
actually you're right to a point, but he still didn't need to justify his request to cancel, so maybe a more accurate assessment might be that he gave the CSR a chance to show his true colors, and the CSR did. Remember, he only got on the line after his wife got frustrated after 10 minutes of trying to execute a simple request.

When i quit earthlink back in the days of dial up connections and DSL was in the area but earthlink didn't have it and couldn't give me a time window for when they would, the rep actually got angry with me when i indicated i wanted to terminate. Sorry, but i thought my obligations to a carrier were satisfied when i paid my bill - didn't realize i owed them a period of loyalty & servitude as well.

When i quit verizon for comcast, i noticed a similiar pissed off / irritated attitude from the CSR, but not as outragious as the earthlink CSR but this comcast CSR seems to have set a new standard.

I suspect (keyword there) that the problem starts up higher on the management food chain - ie, management has no other way to motivate their CSR reps to putting their best effort in dissuading a customer from terminating, so they do it by quotas - ie more than "x" number of terminations a month and they review the CSR's performance negatively with possible termination of employment. The CSR, being in a no win situation feels trememdous pressure and frustration, after all, the customer is terminating over no fault of the CSR but rather of the company's failings, whether in customer service, actual line service or whatever. But the CSR, as nothing more than a phone operator, is held accountable.

I'm sure management is aware of these types of responses only because i wouldn't have experienced it twice between two different companies and now to read about it at a third, that's too common a response for a CSR to take it personal unless there's some sort of negative pressure on them to not "allow" a customer to terminate svc.

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 07-15-2014 at 07:44 AM.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I feel bad for the representative(not for Comcast). After 9 years, the customer--while not obligated--could have given a reason why he was leaving instead of recording the call showing everyone he was given a hard time. On the other side of the coin, when I left an ISP after years, the CSR simply processed the request without even asking why and I was surprised/disappointed that they didn't even attempt to keep me. I think at the end we hear what we want to hear from the conversation.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post

I suspect (keyword there) that the problem starts up higher on the management food chain - ie, management has no other way to motivate their CSR reps to putting their best effort in dissuading a customer from terminating, so they do it by quotas - ie more than "x" number of terminations a month and they review the CSR's performance negatively with possible termination of employment. The CSR, being in a no win situation feels trememdous pressure and frustration, after all, the customer is terminating over no fault of the CSR but rather of the company's failings, whether in customer service, actual line service or whatever. But the CSR, as nothing more than a phone operator, is held accountable.

I'm sure management is aware of these types of responses only because i wouldn't have experienced it twice between two different companies and now to read about it at a third, that's too common a response for a CSR to take it personal unless there's some sort of negative pressure on them to not "allow" a customer to terminate svc.
First let me preface this by saying I haven't heard the recorded call - not really interested and I am sure that your suggestion 'that the problem starts up higher on the management food chain' is correct.

My experience with Comcast phone CSRs is pretty much uniformly awful - fortunately I was able to use some online resources to resolve my relatively minor issues.

Other family members in different locations (states) have had some really awful phone calls - CSRs who won't listen and interrupt - multiple calls on the same issue where there is no record of the previous calls.

It is almost certainly an issue higher up the management chain - where CSRs are measured on criteria that are important to management but not customers. This doesn't make for happy customers or CSRs.

DirecTV is an example of a company that worked this out in the end - pretty much all my recent (last 5 years or so) interactions with them have been good. Sometimes you have to persist to get someone who can help you - but everyone is pleasant and tries to help.

I also agree with both posts above ^^ feeling sorry for the CSRs who are sometimes in a no win situation....

Last edited by undecided; 07-15-2014 at 11:49 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am glad they are hard to cancel, it has helped me to keep the price down by getting better deals since I could always get uverse since they are in my town also.

By the way when I left DirecTV to go to Comcast a few years ago, they were just as bad, took 15 min. to cancel and then the calls started and still get along with the letters.

Before that, when I canceled Dish to go to DirecTV, they said fine, you'll be sorry and you'll be back, no joke.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DirecTV was a pretty easy cancel for me, maybe 5 minutes. They did ask a few questions, but my answers weren't compatible with a retention strategy. I wasn't cancelling because of the quality of DirecTV's service or to change providers, but because of the quality of the programming in general. I just can't watch altered content anymore; time-compression, split-screen of previous program ending with next program beginning, huge multi-colored network logos in video the entire time, twitter hash-tag in video most of the time, other obnoxious lower-thirds and animated graphics in the video, ect. Even premium channels have some of this crap.

DirecTV cant do anything about any of that, so there was no way to keep me. I said if they added the HD feeds of both c-span channels, I would stay. But they have no plans to do that.
reddice likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I thought the guy requesting the cancel was polite and CSR was a jerk and a bit over the top. I think the CSR was trying to show off that he could talk anyone into staying with Comcast. I didn't have this problem cutting the cable just a hilarious statement from the CSR that she would rather give up her cellphone than cable (yeah, right).

I've been in sales (enough to know I didn't like it) so I am one hellatious person to try to sell something to and these days telemarketers are incessant even though I'm on the "do not call" list. Comcast doesn't call but they do waste trees on mail promos. AT&T calls and I keep trying to get through their thick sculls I'm not interested in their TV service. They're trying to get me on a contract so I can't switch to Astound when it comes down the block.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttplug View Post
DirecTV was a pretty easy cancel for me, maybe 5 minutes. They did ask a few questions, but my answers weren't compatible with a retention strategy. I wasn't cancelling because of the quality of DirecTV's service or to change providers, but because of the quality of the programming in general. I just can't watch altered content anymore; time-compression, split-screen of previous program ending with next program beginning, huge multi-colored network logos in video the entire time, twitter hash-tag in video most of the time, other obnoxious lower-thirds and animated graphics in the video, ect. Even premium channels have some of this crap.

DirecTV cant do anything about any of that, so there was no way to keep me. I said if they added the HD feeds of both c-span channels, I would stay. But they have no plans to do that.

I've had DTV for eight years, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ian
joed32 likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #10 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I never understand with these services that you can sign up online lets say but you have to call them to cancel the service. That is what was annoying about XM so when I finally dropped them I had to talk to someone which was not that painless.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired.

Cats are the best pets.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you're committed to canceling, the best way is to disconnect the equipment and place it on the counter at your nearest comcast office.
The staff there is less likely to give you a hard time in person.
joed32 likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I never understand with these services that you can sign up online lets say but you have to call them to cancel the service. That is what was annoying about XM so when I finally dropped them I had to talk to someone which was not that painless.
Obviously it's so the can talk you out of it and sell you even more service. The CSRs (like the guy in the recorded call) are hard sell salesmen. It's kinda fun to run them through hoops though while standing your ground.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Stuff like this doesn't surprise me at all. Given that the Comcast rep was being a bit of a jerk in not relenting and simply fulfilling the request, it would have been more fun to turn it around and demand that the rep beg him to remain with Comcast.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishwa Somayaji View Post
I feel bad for the representative(not for Comcast). After 9 years, the customer--while not obligated--could have given a reason why he was leaving instead of recording the call showing everyone he was given a hard time. On the other side of the coin, when I left an ISP after years, the CSR simply processed the request without even asking why and I was surprised/disappointed that they didn't even attempt to keep me. I think at the end we hear what we want to hear from the conversation.
BS: the customer does not owe the CSR or the company a reason for cancelling.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post
If you're committed to canceling, the best way is to disconnect the equipment and place it on the counter at your nearest comcast office.
The staff there is less likely to give you a hard time in person.
Comcast is closing a lot of the local offices, so long lines at the office. I waited in line for an hour to pickup a box.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
Comcast is closing a lot of the local offices, so long lines at the office. I waited in line for an hour to pickup a box.
Yup, I did not want to drive 8 miles to return stuff and stand in line to return it. Comcast promptly sent out a pre-paid box to return it in with tracking. The call from the contractor probably was more due to poor communications between the return hub and the contractor (who sorta admitted as much). Anyway I had the tracking information showing it delivered and signed for.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page