Set Top Box That Plays BluRay MKV and decodes DTS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Set Top Box That Plays BluRay MKV and decodes DTS?

I thought I read a review that the WD TV Player (2013) would play anything you throw at it. I played a 12GB x264 blu-ray rip with DTS sound. The video played but gave me and error saying that it needs to be set to pass through via optical, which I have it set to. My Receiver shows "Error" and plays no sound when trying to play DTS. When I play AC3 5.1 it works but it seems out of sync or jittery.

Can anyone recommend a set top box that does everything? I want the play huge MKV files, 40GB Blu-ray images, have it de-code DTS and send it to my receiver since it seems a bit out dated. Phillips 5.1 5-disc player. It seems to only de-code DTS when playing a DVD. Its from about 2004ish.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
I thought I read a review that the WD TV Player (2013) would play anything you throw at it. I played a 12GB x264 blu-ray rip with DTS sound. The video played but gave me and error saying that it needs to be set to pass through via optical, which I have it set to. My Receiver shows "Error" and plays no sound when trying to play DTS. When I play AC3 5.1 it works but it seems out of sync or jittery.

Can anyone recommend a set top box that does everything? I want the play huge MKV files, 40GB Blu-ray images, have it de-code DTS and send it to my receiver since it seems a bit out dated. Phillips 5.1 5-disc player. It seems to only de-code DTS when playing a DVD. Its from about 2004ish.

Thanks for any help.
Although someone may be able to help, your question would have been better served here.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...ent-streaming/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just read at another forum that my receiver doesn't decode DTS via optical only AC-3/DD 5/1. It only decodes DTS if its on a DVD because its an older 5 disc changer. Can I buy anything that will decode it and pass it to my receiver as True DTS? Because right now im using a program to convert from DTS to DD 5.1 which kind of sucks...
post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm having this exact same problem:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/prob...dd5-1.1637214/
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

This is the unit I have:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...=specs&support

It's all proprietary. All the speaker wire runs into the sub-woofer and then the sub-woofer has a proprietary cable that runs into the back of the 5-disc changer. The power connects to the 5-disc changer so it's not like I can easily swich out for another receiver that will de-code DTS over optical. Unless Panasonic made many models of these 5-disc changer surround sounds and one of the newer ones support DTS input decoding and have the proprietary cable type that I need for this system.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page