Kaleidescape Alto Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #31 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
IMO, in the context of a dedicated home theater or as an accessory to a flagship TV, it is not a waste if you can easily afford it.
That you can make digital copies of your music and not of your Blu Ray is just wrong and I think eventually will be overturned.

This is just such a game. You can physically put the disks in a carousel rather than having the disks in a box next to the HD you put the content on is so incredibly absurd.

I have 300+ Blu Rays and probably lost / damaged a number of others. I really don't think I want to pay $2500+ to play this silly game. I'm too sick of the wasted money on broken or damaged disks that I"m going to store them electronically and play them that way.

Audio: Denon AVR-4520, Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR), Fusion 8 Alchemy (4xSurrounds+2xWides+2xHeights),4 x 15" Dayton Ultimax
Video: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Darbee Darblet, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Seating: Fusion Lagoon Chairs
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
That is nice. I only pray the vault is not as much as I am sure it will be. The current vaults cost about $7-8K, depending on which you get. :/
Previously Vault was around $4K. I would guess this time around to be priced around same or $3k.

Cheers

Raj
post #33 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Previously Vault was around $4K. I would guess this time around to be priced around same or $3k.

Cheers

Raj
I was looking at MSRP, but I may have missed something. Thanks for the post.

post #34 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I was looking at MSRP, but I may have missed something. Thanks for the post.
I also hope its around that price. I would cry and pay $8K if it really is that expensive.

Cheers

Raj
post #35 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 05:15 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Plastic box for $2500 my Sony was $250 same plastic box and it plays SACD DSD and has a lot of things I can get from the net
post #36 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Vudo will have 4k streaming by the middle of 2016. Also you have to be one heck of a salesman to sell the Alto with all the costs and no 3d and 4k support. Guarantee they are not telling there customers they could buy 250 movies for the price of the Alto that would be available to watch anywhare in the world.
post #37 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bling View Post
Vudo will have 4k streaming by the middle of 2016. Also you have to be one heck of a salesman to sell the Alto with all the costs and no 3d and 4k support. Guarantee they are not telling there customers they could buy 250 movies for the price of the Alto that would be available to watch anywhare in the world.
4k streaming will be so compressed that it won't match 1080p from a bluray. And Kscape showed a 4k player at CES in private appointments. I'm betting since they target a higher end client, they'll have true UHD content by the next CES.
sdg4vfx and wicklow like this.
post #38 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_bling View Post
Does it come with any "free" or special movie offers when you buy it?
post #39 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post
Does it come with any "free" or special movie offers when you buy it?
I've heard it comes with a $200 store credit. I think the logic is...they charge a $1.99 to convert a bluray to a digital copy and there's your 100 locally stored movies.

I hope others can confirm this.
BillFree likes this.
post #40 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How will this work with the new Secure Content Storage Association downloads that are coming later this year?
http://www.scsallc.com/
post #41 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post
How will this work with the new Secure Content Storage Association downloads that are coming later this year?
http://www.scsallc.com/
I imagine very well, given that K is a member of said society... Being as K has the best GUI of the whole lot and customer base most likely to be open to early adopting to 4K, I would imagine this is a positive for K owners.

http://www.scsallc.com/become-a-member/

Let me add saying that there are very few content providers on this list. They control everything at this point and if the content provider list stays as is, this "society" will be short lived...

Last edited by yetis; 02-03-2015 at 07:08 PM.
post #42 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 2450
$2500 for a year, then it's outdated due to the new requirements for 4K - Better to stick with what you have now, and wait it out!
djsketchie likes this.
post #43 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopkiwi View Post
Looks like a great product but there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL it's worth that much. In New Zealand you'd be looking at a $6k product. Outrageous when a NAS and Kodi will preform the same function for a tenth the price.
Pretty much this. In the US, you can easily put together a HTPC for less than half that cost and have access to a huge amount of content via the cloud and have all the legacy media options and large storage capacities for downloads. And you can use it for gaming too. Why would I pay twice as much to do half the stuff?
Kilgore and kopkiwi like this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #44 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb201 View Post
I would like to know more about this. Is it sending a signal to the projector over HDMI to switch aspect ratio to vertical stretch? Does it do the vertical stretch itself? If that is the case, how does the projector know to deploy the lens?
Never mind. I researched the Alto specs and the description in the review was just a bit off.

The Alto does not actually control the projector's aspect ratio, rather it supports rendering menu and video with vertical stretch. This means a projector can stay in 16:9 mode with an anamorphic lens deployed in front and have everything look correct. A lens sled moving in and out under some other control is still necessary to render all movies at full resolution and the Kaleidescape Menus will need to be flipped back and forth between 16:9 and Cinemascope.
post #45 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am just finishing the build of my theater. That being said, I have other electronics to buy before I can even think about this one. I do think it's too much for a "cloud machine." It would have to go under 1k before I think about buying it.
post #46 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to Ænz
Im with most posters here. Seems way to steep and will have a very short lifespan. No 3D (no biggie) but UHD Bluray specs around the corner. Like others I have a HTPC with kodi and a 12-bay NAS, that did not come a lot cheaper, but with a lot more flexibility. Flexibility is also known as hassle to some people. All that is pretty obvious to people posting here. I did however, for the first time visit Kaleidescapes website. And I got very envious of one thing not mentioned in the article: proper scope/2.35:1 support, the GUI and masking. Try that with any other setup, regardless of price.
All in all, it is a solution mostly to complete custom installs, where the price won't be an issue. But absolute reliability is a must.
post #47 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr View Post
Thanks for the review Mark but at $2500 and with a fancying casing i don't see the advantage as a BD/DVD player or a streaming device that doesn't exists already in the market like the OPPO , plus it also takes them more or less 20 seconds to load a BD and also no info if it plays SACD or DVD-audio since most of us like the best of both worlds like music and movies .
But if you already have a player like that why would it matter that this one lacks it? This player is expensive because of all the legal hurdle that kaleidescape had to pay for to bring the service to the consumer, not because of this player per se. If adoption rate continues rise prices will fall as usual. It will remains to be seen however if this catches on.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
post #48 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
But if you already have a player like that why would it matter that this one lacks it? This player is expensive because of all the legal hurdle that kaleidescape had to pay for to bring the service to the consumer, not because of this player per se. If adoption rate continues rise prices will fall as usual. It will remains to be seen however if this catches on.
From a business point of view its a risk kaleidescape was ready to make (in case like the Vaults VS the Sony carousels player) but from a consumer point of view we look for the best bang for the buck no ??? On a perspective of PQ/AQ it's not different from a $100 BD player .I'm not saying that it is a bad product , its a option .... a expensive one
post #49 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557

Looking @ the rear of this unit, I have not much confidence on the level of price/build aspect ratio. ...This is mickey mouse built.
It's an insult to customers.

I have read all the comments in this thread, and I agree; this product is not for smart people like me.
It offers zero value in my audiophile/videophile life, today, and tomorrow. ...And the price I just don't care, even for free it doesn't suit my intelligent needs.

This is my own personal opinion, based on very very solid grounds and with an extreme realistic approach on the world I/we live in. ...In the now, and in the one of tomorrow.

Nobody is going to sell me that, no way.
BillFree likes this.
post #50 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

Looking @ the rear of this unit, I have not much confidence on the level of price/build aspect ratio. ...This is mickey mouse built.

I have read all the comments in this thread, and I agree; this product is not for smart people like me.
It offers zero value in my audiophile/videophile life, today, and tomorrow. ...And the price I just don't care, even for free it doesn't suit my intelligent needs.

This is my own personal opinion, based on very very solid grounds and with an extreme realistic approach on the world I/we live in. ...In the now, and in the one of tomorrow.

Its funny that you concluded it doesn't meet intelligent customer needs and may be only few dumb one's like me will be buying. In any case to each their own.

Cheers
post #51 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Oh, but I did not insinuate anything, you did.
post #52 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 139
My biggest problem with Kaleidescape, is that the offerings from the Studios is severely limited by a bunch of factors. WB, Lionsgate, NBCUniversal and Sony pictures are all that is supported on any Kaleidescape. The plus side of Kaleidescape is that there movie selection is getting good and the price is right.

The downs, nothing from Walt Disney studios, Paramount, or Fox studios. That leaves out a lot of movies. And no 3D support.

And the payoff is never certain: Some observers contend that a generation has already been trained to be content with the small screen.

Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.
post #53 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr View Post
From a business point of view its a risk kaleidescape was ready to make (in case like the Vaults VS the Sony carousels player) but from a consumer point of view we look for the best bang for the buck no ??? On a perspective of PQ/AQ it's not different from a $100 BD player .I'm not saying that it is a bad product , its a option .... a expensive one
My point is if you're not on the market for what Kaleidescape is bringing than no matter what this player does or don't do, you're not it's target audience.Even if you are interested and you just waiting to get lower prices at one point, comparing this service to a standalone player is NOT an apple to apple one IMO.

The Hun
post #54 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So tell me what exactly is "intelligent" or "smart" about to collect and play a disc?

The Hun
post #55 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
My biggest problem with Kaleidescape, is that the offerings from the Studios is severely limited by a bunch of factors. WB, Lionsgate, NBCUniversal and Sony pictures are all that is supported on any Kaleidescape. The plus side of Kaleidescape is that there movie selection is getting good and the price is right.

The downs, nothing from Walt Disney studios, Paramount, or Fox studios. That leaves out a lot of movies. And no 3D support.
I agree with limited number of studio's but word on the street is they are very close to signing up with few studios mentioned above. Hope it happens.

Cheers
post #56 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
So tell me what exactly is "intelligent" or "smart" about to collect and play a disc?
Who said anything about "play".

And people they collect a bunch of things. ...Some are worth it more than others, when they increase in value over time.
post #57 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
I would love this player at $250 that's about it. I agree that at $2,500 for a cheap box taht looks like this, it's pathetic.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36151136?w...131848&veh=sem

Except it is white !

I am sure the manufacturing cost of the unit is less than $100!
post #58 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$100????

How do you come to that? The 4T drive cost more than that
post #59 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Ok, let's open it and see what's inside.
post #60 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Who said anything about "play".

And people they collect a bunch of things. ...Some are worth it more than others, when they increase in value over time.
People who collect movies often plays them too...no?
Also most BD movies will lose value as soon as the next format hits the market, but in any case is that your answer to be "intelligent" and smart"?

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
frontpage , Kaleidescape

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page