Kaleidescape Alto Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #61 of 115 Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I would love this player at $250 that's about it. I agree that at $2,500 for a cheap box taht looks like this, it's pathetic.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36151136?w...131848&veh=sem

Except it is white !

I am sure the manufacturing cost of the unit is less than $100!
It's been explained in this thread why the price is "high".

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Ex diversis cogitationibus ex cute color.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I'd love to see a figure of how many units total Kalidescape has sold. Every time I read a write up on one of these on here I think the same thing, "$2500!?... For that?" For that much cheddar I'd at least hope you'd get some color options, and that it would be made of metal. I think this thing would have to be $500 max to garner wide spread interest. I really don't understand how that $2500 price tag is justified.

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7009
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
Sony BDP-S7200
post #63 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Only if you have the obsessive "librarian gene" is that worth $2500.

I just get my stuff on blu-ray and throw the discs helter skelter these days.

On the other hand i spent around $50k or more on speakers so who am I to judge other people's obsessions.

post #64 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Only if you have the obsessive "librarian gene" is that worth $2500.

I just get my stuff on blu-ray and throw the discs helter skelter these days.

On the other hand i spent around $50k or more on speakers so who am I to judge other people's obsessions.
Yes that is obsessed - are you still married after the purchase? (or, what did you have to get her to offset the purchase?)
post #65 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Oh, but I did not insinuate anything, you did.
" this product is not for smart people like me. "

A smart person would know when producing that sentence, what it implied and how it would be seen by others. If you are smart as you say, you know this and you are being disingenuous in trying to disown what it clearly implies.

On the other hand, if you really don't understand how that sentence would be taken by others - that the product is not for "smart people (like you)" - then I'd suggest it's time for some basic courses in communication.

There are all sorts of good reasons someone may not want to purchase this item. I believe I have several myself for why I wouldn't buy it at the moment. But there are also some perfectly fine reasons someone may wish to buy one, if it suits their lifestyle and solves certain issues they want solved, in the ways they want it solved.

imagic (mark) has done, I think, a very good job discussing the product with an understanding that this product has features desirable enough to compel some people to want it, while it does not suit the needs of others.

It doesn't help to bring braggadocio into one's assessment, with implications about the intelligence of others who might have good reasons to buy one.
ImScaredSarge likes this.
post #66 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Yes that is obsessed - are you still married after the purchase? (or, what did you have to get her to offset the purchase?)
I never lose money on audio purchases anyway, I usually buy used and sell them off for about the same amount. On top of that, I only use market dividend gains to make extra purchases. Besides that, I could have bought a few Ferrari's by now, but I save that money instead (and therefore benefit from stock growth an dividend yields over time).

I don't bother her when she wants to buy fancy jewelry or donate money for a charity school in India with her money.

If my wife has a problem with it, then I married the wrong woman. She fortunately understands why I like what I like even though she doesn't share that interest.

Blazar!
post #67 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I never lose money on audio purchases anyway, I usually buy used and sell them off for about the same amount. On top of that, I only use market dividend gains to make extra purchases. Besides that, I could have bought a few Ferrari's by now, but I save that money instead (and therefore benefit from stock growth an dividend yields over time).

I don't bother her when she wants to buy fancy jewelry or donate money for a charity school in India with her money.

If my wife has a problem with it, then I married the wrong woman. She fortunately understands why I like what I like even though she doesn't share that interest.
I love your reply. In my house, I am good at spending and my wife is good at making money. I just lucked out marrying her, as she has no issues with it.

Cheers
post #68 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Oh, but I did not insinuate anything, you did.
When you say "Smart people like me" you insinuate that people that don't agree with you are stupid. Not the first time you've done something like this.

Looky here!
post #69 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
You play your own mind game; you won't get me into it. ...You like the product; it fits you, that's your business.
post #70 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
" this product is not for smart people like me. "

A smart person would know when producing that sentence, what it implied and how it would be seen by others. If you are smart as you say, you know this and you are being disingenuous in trying to disown what it clearly implies.

On the other hand, if you really don't understand how that sentence would be taken by others - that the product is not for "smart people (like you)" - then I'd suggest it's time for some basic courses in communication.

There are all sorts of good reasons someone may not want to purchase this item. I believe I have several myself for why I wouldn't buy it at the moment. But there are also some perfectly fine reasons someone may wish to buy one, if it suits their lifestyle and solves certain issues they want solved, in the ways they want it solved.

imagic (mark) has done, I think, a very good job discussing the product with an understanding that this product has features desirable enough to compel some people to want it, while it does not suit the needs of others.

It doesn't help to bring braggadocio into one's assessment, with implications about the intelligence of others who might have good reasons to buy one.
No no, don't look any further than you have to. I spoke for me, and that is it. I'm smart enough to realize that this product is not for me.
I don't imply anything else. I look @ the build quality, the $2,500 sticker price, and that's enough.

* I'm going to make it clear, so that there is no confusion:
People who are wise enough like me to see that there are many things amiss with this product and its related features,
they simply are going to dismiss it all together.
This thread is very clear on that.

As for other people; the ones interested by the product, they use their own wisdom according to their own needs. It don't mean anything else than that.
I don't think of others interested in the product as not smart.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-05-2015 at 08:48 PM.
post #71 of 115 Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
$100???? How do you come to that? The 4T drive cost more than that
Ok here is retail price MSRP
- Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STBV4000100 = $130

- Sony - BDPS1200 - Streaming Blu-ray Player - Black $60 TOTAL = $190

So with that we can now discount this by 50% that's the dealer cost, = $95

Now if you just look at manufacturing cost that's an other at least 30% off

ok !
post #72 of 115 Old 02-06-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Ok here is retail price MSRP
- Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STBV4000100 = $130

- Sony - BDPS1200 - Streaming Blu-ray Player - Black $60 TOTAL = $190

So with that we can now discount this by 50% that's the dealer cost, = $95

Now if you just look at manufacturing cost that's an other at least 30% off

ok !
I appreciate it but I'm not buying what your selling. You're assuming that their manufacturing is similar to a mass produced Sony product. I'll just agree to disagree.
post #73 of 115 Old 02-06-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
I appreciate it but I'm not buying what your selling. You're assuming that their manufacturing is similar to a mass produced Sony product. I'll just agree to disagree.
Kaliedescape is using Intel Inside. There's nothing expensive or special about it or the way it's manufactured. Not sure what the Alto is using but the Cinema One came loaded with the Intel CE3100. The CE3100 didn't really take off with other companies, but it's replacement, the CE4100 did OK, ending up in the Boxee Box, Google TV boxes and some some Sony Google TV loaded Televisions. The 4200 is in some Samsung products...etc...I haven't really kept track since the CE4100.

Since Kaleidescape uses the same hardware that's in MUCH cheaper devices, I'd be stunned if they're manufacturing process was any different than any other quality built BR/Media player on the market. In Kaleidescapes case, I'm willing to bet that one company builds the case, another supplies the MB/SOC, and someone else assembles it.

Regardless, you're not buying this product for the hardware, you're buying it for the software, service, and support.
thehun likes this.

Looky here!
post #74 of 115 Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 6600 Post(s)
Liked: 11361
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Kaliedescape is using Intel Inside. There's nothing expensive or special about it or the way it's manufactured. Not sure what the Alto is using but the Cinema One came loaded with the Intel CE3100. The CE3100 didn't really take off with other companies, but it's replacement, the CE4100 did OK, ending up in the Boxee Box, Google TV boxes and some some Sony Google TV loaded Televisions. The 4200 is in some Samsung products...etc...I haven't really kept track since the CE4100.

Since Kaleidescape uses the same hardware that's in MUCH cheaper devices, I'd be stunned if they're manufacturing process was any different than any other quality built BR/Media player on the market. In Kaleidescapes case, I'm willing to bet that one company builds the case, another supplies the MB/SOC, and someone else assembles it.

Regardless, you're not buying this product for the hardware, you're buying it for the software, service, and support.
Absolutely. As someone who appreciates good software, I understand that's what Kaleidescape customers are paying for. It's a lot like my laptop—$1000 in hardware, $10,000+ in software. It's the software that makes it awesome.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum
post #75 of 115 Old 02-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Yes, but they can make the hardware much more attractive and solid too, not like cheap mickey mouse looking and build.

And on the software side; as of right now you are denied of some great content.

* I don't know; some of you might have few hundred Blu-rays in your movie/music collection, and others like me have few thousands (4,000 +/-).

Also, I don't like this type of "car" disc slot. ...Not inspiring solid confidence, but that's me, and my own experience with all type of disc transports, in the last 30 years.
There are several other things too (wrong with that machine) and the entire "aura" around it; but I know that you guys are all smart to see them.

Like I said, some people might find what they're looking for, and for them that is just fine. What counts is that they are happy; the rest is just cheap whiskey.
BillFree likes this.
post #76 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Absolutely. As someone who appreciates good software, I understand that's what Kaleidescape customers are paying for. It's a lot like my laptop—$1000 in hardware, $10,000+ in software. It's the software that makes it awesome.
It's probably not even the software cost, but LICENSING costs. I bet they are paying the media companies TONS of money to allow this.
thehun likes this.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #77 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 171
post #78 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
exactly. I do not care how much money you have, this is a waste of money!
I'm far from rich, but spent $30K to buy the high-end K system and haven't regretted it for a second.
post #79 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
No 3D = Fail
3D is fail on its own.
thehun likes this.
post #80 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I'm far from rich, but spent $30K to buy the high-end K system and haven't regretted it for a second.
That is awesome. ...And same here; I'm far from being rich, and I spent much more than thirty grands on HD movie software. ...Both in 2D and in 3D.

So I guess then that this cheap $2,500 version is a heck of a great value deal.
...For some, bravo. ...Not for me, and money is not always relative, accommodation is. ...And we all have our own, ...accommodation.
post #81 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
3D is fail on its own.
Could be for you and others but for some of us it is not. IMO, will be the same for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, UHD/4K, UHD Blu-ray, etc.
post #82 of 115 Old 02-07-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Could be for you and others but for some of us it is not. IMO, will be the same for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, UHD/4K, UHD Blu-ray, etc.

I'm kinda with you on 3D. I just don't see the attraction. I have a nice projector (Sony 600ES) and LCD (Sharp Elite) but after watching a couple of 3D movies, I haven't even given it a thought in a year.

But..I'm pretty excited about Atmos and what DTS:X might bring. I enjoyed the Atmos demos at Cedia. And now I'm looking forward to hearing what DTS:X has got. I'm sure I'll add height speakers by the end of the year.

It just goes to show...to each their own.
post #83 of 115 Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm kinda with you on 3D. I just don't see the attraction. I have a nice projector (Sony 600ES) and LCD (Sharp Elite) but after watching a couple of 3D movies, I haven't even given it a thought in a year.

But..I'm pretty excited about Atmos and what DTS:X might bring. I enjoyed the Atmos demos at Cedia. And now I'm looking forward to hearing what DTS:X has got. I'm sure I'll add height speakers by the end of the year.
I have the same projector and really like the better 3D movies. I loved ViewMaster (as a kid, a long time ago now) and still have one. Will add Atmos/DTS:X when a audio processor shows up with full HDMI 2, HDCP 2.2 switching on most of the inputs.
post #84 of 115 Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
How are you not rich and spent $30k on a K system

I'm assuming you "paid" for it not financed.
post #85 of 115 Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

this thread is hilarious...

But seriously, who doesn't want a blu-ray player that will skip the previews and other junk and take you straight to the menu screen. I wish all blu-ray players had this option.

Blazar!
post #86 of 115 Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
this thread is hilarious...

But seriously, who doesn't want a blu-ray player that will skip the previews and other junk and take you straight to the menu screen. I wish all blu-ray players had this option.
You can manually skip all the "junk" in roughly less than a minute, on average, with the vast majority of Blu-rays.
Yeah, it would be nice pushing a red button and the movie starts automatically without the FBI and CIA and Homeland Security logo warnings.

Does the Kaleidescape come without any anti-piracy fines/jail warning logos? ...Awesome.
BillFree likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-09-2015 at 10:35 PM. Reason: movie (singular)
post #87 of 115 Old 02-09-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
How are you not rich and spent $30k on a K system

I'm assuming you "paid" for it not financed.
Yea, I wrote the check and as they say, cried only once.

Yes, K strips all the nonsense from movies. Push a button and the movie starts.

Link favorite songs/scenes from as many B_Rs as you wish and make your own custom concert too. Many other features.
Mattopotamus likes this.
post #88 of 115 Old 02-09-2015, 03:41 PM

Give me an example of what you routinely love about it; like last night, or the night before, what did you do with your high-end Kaleidescape...did you watch a Blu-ray movie?

Tomorrow night; say you want to watch 'Predestination' or 'Nightcrawler' on Blu-ray, what do you have to do?

* Can you watch Disney's Frozen on Blu-ray and in 3D with your kids?
BillFree likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 02-09-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #89 of 115 Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Exactly

"Ich spreche Klingon und du?"/ "Ich spreche auch Klingon"/ "Und sie ?"/ "Wir sprechen Klingon! "
post #90 of 115 Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
I think Kaleidescape is much like Harleys... as one of my girlfriends succinctly stated about its attraction in a article... If you have to ask you can't understand.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
frontpage , Kaleidescape

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page