Kaleidescape Alto Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6596 Post(s)
Liked: 11345
Kaleidescape Alto Official AVSForum Review

Mark Henninger reviews a relatively pricey movie player that bridges the gap between Blu-ray discs and cloud-based content delivery.

-------

The new $2500 Alto from Kaleidescape looks exactly like the company's Cinema One movie player. When I reviewed the Cinema One earlier this year, I fell in love with the system's ease of use. However, I grew frustrated with the limited selection at the online store. Fortunately, the company took concrete steps to remedy the content deficit, including settling a long-standing lawsuit that prevented it from signing deals with a number of major studios.

Now, Kaleidescape is poised for growth. The company's online store is brimming with new movie and TV titles. That's a good thing because the Alto movie player is the first Kaleidescape device that does not offer disc-ripping capability. Instead, the new device gets its locally stored content from the cloud, though it also plays spinning discs. In fact, thanks to Kaleidescape's clever and intuitive software, it is one of the best Blu-ray players I've used.

Kaleidescape's software makes picking and playing movies a pleasure.

Features

The Alto concentrates on playing content that matches the quality of DVD and Blu-ray discs. You won't find streaming apps or a web browser on the Alto; the only software supported by the device is Kaleidescape's proprietary user interface. Currently, it does not support 3D.

What makes the Alto unusually appealing when compared to other Blu-ray players is its ability to access the same data found on a physical disc from the cloud. Another key differentiator is how Kaleidescape uses its online database to offer cataloging and enhanced playback options to DVD and Blu-ray collectors.

The Alto itself is a minimalist machine that almost looks like an Apple product, and it fits perfectly in a 2U rack space. The glossy white faceplate has a slot for loading physical discs, an animated Kaleidescape logo, and three buttons: power, play, and eject.

On the back of the unit you'll find one HDMI port, one S/PDIF (coaxial) jack, a pair of stereo analog RCA jacks, a USB port for the WiFi adapter, an infrared sensor port, and an Ethernet port. Oddly, the Alto's exterior is made of plastic—aluminum would have been a better choice considering the price.

A view of the back of the Alto.

You can control the Alto either with a handheld remote or with an iPad app. It also comes with a child-friendly remote that lets kids safely access their own content collection. When I reviewed the Cinema One, I used an iPad to control it, but with the Alto, I used the included remote because I don't own an iPad any more; I'm on Android now. I don't miss using a tablet as a remote; it's too big and clunky.

The Kaleidescape store works with any Internet browser. For this reason, I can still use my Android tablet to purchase titles for cloud-based delivery. I just can't use it to control the Alto directly.

The 4 TB internal drive holds approximately 100 Blu-ray-quality downloads or about 600 DVD-quality downloads. Because the Alto downloads everything you get with a physical disc, including special features, some movies take up considerably more space than others beyond differences in running time.

According to Kaleidescape, the Alto will support the company's Disc Vault, which holds 320 discs in a carousel mechanism. With a vault, an Alto can use its catalog function to treat physical media as if it were ripped to a server. The difference is the vault will play the actual disc instead of holding it and playing a ripped copy. From an end user's perspective, an Alto with a disc vault will work the same way as it does with cloud-based content.

While I did not get a chance to test it, an interesting feature of the Alto is its ability to work in conjunction with up to three additional players to create a larger library of downloads. Each player can access content from the local storage of the other players, which brings the total capacity of a four-Alto system up to 400 Blu-ray quality downloads or 2400 DVD quality downloads.

Setup

I started by plugging the WiFi adapter into the Alto's USB port, plugging in the power, and connecting the HDMI output to a Pioneer Elite SC-85 AVR. The device prompted me through the initial setup process, including connection to WiFi and connecting it to a Kaleidescape account.

Next, I used a PC to log into the Kaleidescape store and connected that account with my Ultraviolet account. Once I completed that process, over 40 movies in my Vudu library showed up as free Blu-ray quality downloads.

I looked at the Alto's default audio and video settings to make sure they were optimum for my system. I only had to make one significant change—I switched the HDMI audio setting to bitstream output instead of allowing the Alto to convert to 5.1 PCM. I left all the video settings at their defaults after using the Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark disc (2nd edition) to confirm they did not negatively impact image quality.

Here are the Alto's default video settings.

Performance

The best thing about the Alto is how quick, convenient, and reliable it is. You are always mere seconds away from watching whatever TV show or movie you choose, whether it's on a disc or a download. Compared to every Blu-ray player that I've owned or reviewed, the Alto is faster and easier to use.

While Kaleidescape touts the Alto's ability to obtain Blu-ray-quality content from the cloud, I was equally impressed with its prowess as a Blu-ray and DVD player. It typically takes less than 20 seconds to go from inserting a disc that it has never played before to the first frame of the movie. Thanks to the bookmarks programmed into the Kaleidescape database, you get to skip all the FBI warnings and previews that most Blu-ray players make you watch.

The Alto catalogs physical discs and provides the same overall functionality you get with downloaded files. It remembers where you paused partially watched movies or TV shows, and it provides bookmarks to popular scenes in many movies. It can even control the aspect ratio of a projector equipped with an anamorphic lens.

However, it's headline feature is the unique ability to download and play films and TV shows that offer the same quality as their disc-based counterparts. Ever since I received an Alto review unit, the majority of movies I've watched have been downloads from the Kaleidescape store.

Each Blu-ray-quality movie took about three hours to download via WiFi. I reduced that download time to about an hour by connecting the Alto directly to my router via Ethernet, but for most of the review period I used a wireless connection.

The Alto is at its best when it's accessing content downloaded from the Kaleidescape store. Playing a movie or TV show from a hard drive eliminates any risk of interruption from a disc that has a scratch or fingerprint. Plus, downloaded movies avoid the pitfalls of streaming, where buffering can occur due to Internet bottlenecks—having a fast connection isn't enough when streaming servers overload.

I can't find anything negative to say about the performance of the Alto. Its combination of speed, simplicity, functionality, and flexibility make it the nicest HD movie player I've used. About the only objection I have is the cost of buying one.

Conclusion

If it were not for the $2500 price of the device, I'd own a Kaleidescape Alto already—that's how much I like it. More than anything, I find the Kaleidescape software to be very attractive. It's content cataloging and browsing features—the Kaleidescape movie guide—is outstanding compared to the functionality of other Blu-ray players. Kaleidescape's movie database (which contains hundreds of thousands of titles) is a tremendous asset that helps to elevate the Alto's user experience above the competition.

Kaleidescape is currently the only company offering true Blu-ray-quality downloads, and the Alto is the lowest-priced device that provides entry to that ecosystem. That alone is enough to make it appealing to budget-conscious videophiles when compared to the company's other offerings.

Other than price, the main complaint I have about the Alto is that too many new releases are missing from the store. On Tuesdays, I like to browse the latest titles while enjoying my morning cup of coffee. If it's going to succeed, Kaleidescape needs to match the selection of new releases offered by Amazon, iTunes, and Vudu.

I'm a fan of cloud-based content delivery, and I truly appreciate what the Alto offers well-heeled videophiles. Even so, I occasionally found myself wishing for a device that offered Kaleidescape's core functionality in a considerably more affordable package. I know the company is inexorably heading toward a cloud-based, disc-free future. But in many ways, the cloud-based future of content delivery is already here. The Alto has to compete with services that offer a larger selection of movies along with a much lower cost of entry, albeit with lower quality.

If you can afford it, the Alto is one of the sweetest movie players out there. It removes the aggravation that's often an unavoidable part of watching a Blu-ray movie, paving the way to the future of high-quality content delivery. Unfortunately, it remains a bit pricey compared to most Blu-ray players, and the cloud-based movie selection is still a bit limited. Nevertheless, whether it's playing physical discs or content from the cloud, the Alto is an absolute pleasure to use.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
BillFree likes this.

Mark Henninger, Senior Editor at AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-08-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Excellent review!

To me, spending $2500 to spare me from the effort of loading a BluRay into my player would seem to be quite extravagant.
post #3 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Looks like a really nicely thought out elegant solution that is a bit rich for many people's wallets considering alternatives.

I am curious Mark, have you compared the output to higher end Blue Ray players like the Oppo line up (for both disc and download playback)?
Also, what is the WiFi specs? I ask because if it is "N," you might consider doing a a bridged set up with "802.11ac" spec hardware instead for greater throughput.

My last thought of course goes to state of Internet speed, access and costs given all the yap on net neutrality.

post #4 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 189
This product is REALLY nothing special. Vudu has HDX downloads which comes close to blu-ray. Vudu can add another tier to their lineup called something like SHDX with 100% perfect blu-ray image and sound quality. They can offer it at a very small premium over HDX movies prices and your current PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox ONE,etc, etc can download the SHDX files to a large internal drive or an external one.
post #5 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
Curious to know what is price of their blu ray quality material from their store. Is it close to what Amazon charges for new releases? Can you rent them?
post #6 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Curious to know what is price of their blu ray quality material from their store. Is it close to what Amazon charges for new releases? Can you rent them?
Pricing is about the same, plus or minus a few bucks. Kaleidescape's store does not offer rentals.

post #7 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Excellent review!

To me, spending $2500 to spare me from the effort of loading a BluRay into my player would seem to be quite extravagant.
exactly. I do not care how much money you have, this is a waste of money!
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #8 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
exactly. I do not care how much money you have, this is a waste of money!
IMO, in the context of a dedicated home theater or as an accessory to a flagship TV, it is not a waste if you can easily afford it.
Phrehdd likes this.

post #9 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
This product is REALLY nothing special. Vudu has HDX downloads which comes close to blu-ray. Vudu can add another tier to their lineup called something like SHDX with 100% perfect blu-ray image and sound quality. They can offer it at a very small premium over HDX movies prices and your current PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox ONE,etc, etc can download the SHDX files to a large internal drive or an external one.
Theoretically, you are correct. Vudu/Amazon/iTunes could do those things. But, they haven't yet. Until they do, Kaleidescape will continue to offer you a combination of quality and convenience that you can't get anywhere else (short of ripping Blu-Ray discs and maintaining your own media server setup).

It will be interesting to see what happens first. Will Vudu/Amazon add another tier that brings the PQ and SQ up to Blu-Ray/K-scape quality and allow you to download all available titles to a device with 4TB of storage? Will iTunes add the same quality level (note that iTunes already allows you to download all available titles to local storage on a PC, Mac, and/or Apple device). Or will K-scape reduce the price of their equipment and increase the size of their catalog? What other features will each offer that the others might not? Currently, Vudu is the only one that supports 3D. Amazon is the only one that supports 4K. Vudu and K-scape are the only ones that offer a disc-to-digital service.
post #10 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the review Mark but at $2500 and with a fancying casing i don't see the advantage as a BD/DVD player or a streaming device that doesn't exists already in the market like the OPPO , plus it also takes them more or less 20 seconds to load a BD and also no info if it plays SACD or DVD-audio since most of us like the best of both worlds like music and movies .
blueskies758 likes this.
post #11 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
"It can even control the aspect ratio of a projector equipped with an anamorphic lens."

I would like to know more about this. Is it sending a signal to the projector over HDMI to switch aspect ratio to vertical stretch? Does it do the vertical stretch itself? If that is the case, how does the projector know to deploy the lens?
post #12 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by almadacr View Post
Thanks for the review Mark but at $2500 and with a fancying casing i don't see the advantage as a BD/DVD player or a streaming device that doesn't exists already in the market like the OPPO , plus it also takes them more or less 20 seconds to load a BD and also no info if it plays SACD or DVD-audio since most of us like the best of both worlds like music and movies .
Well next year K might release a player for less than $1,000 with aluminum case rather than plastic! Then I might consider it but then again 4K is here so I am not so sure! Love the interface but always thought it was way too expensive!
post #13 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Each time something from K is posted on the front news page, I see so many negative comments. Personally, I love the direction K is heading with their products and pricing. I am still not ready to jump in yet, but I don’t find this to be a waste of money. Even the richest human can’t buy time, but the K saves lots of it.
Scott Wilkinson likes this.
post #14 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Nice, thanks Mark. I'm another that really admires the Kaleidescape UI. It's fun to use, almost addictive. But scope of content trumps UI. So that's a barrier. Equipment cost, and subsequent cost per title, is another. The absence of 3D is another. And given the drive space and download times already needed for 1080p, the arrival of 4K in the Kaleidescape paradigm seems like another.

Even as lazy as we are at movie time, the truth is that picking out a disc and and popping it in the tray is no problem. Might even be part of the fun. And while bit for bit library supplementation via the cloud has appeal, Vudu and iTunes fill a similar niche at a fractional price point.

I remain interested, but only that. And price isn't really the deal killer. I'll probably pay a multiple of the Alto price for our next projector, and think that money well spent. But so far, even on the lower-priced Alto, I just don't see a real cost/benefit plus for our overall AV experience.
BillFree likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #15 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Let's see, downloading BD quality or actually watching a BD?

3 1/2 hours to download or instantly watch a disc?

20 sec to start a movie, how much of a hurry do you need to be in to watch a movie?

Does it upconvert DVD's like normal BD players?

Why bother with DVD downloads when you're using a BD player on an HDTV?

Plus a $2500 price tag?

Sorry but there is nothing appealing to me about K-scape devices, I'll stick with my Oppo and physical media!

Thanks anyway for the review.

post #16 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Looks like a great product but there is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL it's worth that much. In New Zealand you'd be looking at a $6k product. Outrageous when a NAS and Kodi will preform the same function for a tenth the price.
Kilgore, Phrehdd and TowerGrove like this.
post #17 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodguy View Post

3 1/2 hours to download or instantly watch a disc?

20 sec to start a movie, how much of a hurry do you need to be in to watch a movie?

Does it upconvert DVD's like normal BD players?

Why bother with DVD downloads when you're using a BD player on an HDTV?

Plus a $2500 price tag?

Sorry but there is nothing appealing to me about K-scape devices, I'll stick with my Oppo and physical media!

Thanks anyway for the review.
1) I believe that you can start watching the movie before the download is complete.

2) Assuming you aren't deleting movies to make room on the drive and then redownloading them the next time you want to watch them, the download time is a one-time deal. So it would be more fair to compare the download time to the time it takes you to go out and buy a physical disc and then bring it home to watch.

3) Even if we assume that you can go out and purchase a Blu-Ray disc, bring it home, and start watching it faster than you could purchase a title from the K-scape store, download it, and start playback, there is a way to take advantage of that capability with K-scape. Buy a copy of the physical disc that includes an Ultraviolet digital copy. Put the disc in the Alto and hit play. Then, at your convenience, go redeem the digital copy from Vudu or another UV retail partner. Link your UV account to your K-scape account (only need to do this once). Then start downloading it from the K-scape store whenever convenient so that it is ready to go the next time you want to watch it.

At worst, the K-scape takes the same amount of time to acquire a title and start playback as any other player, the first time you watch that title. From that point on, it is faster and easier to use a K-scape to browse your library, make a selection, and start playback of a movie than it is with a regular Blu-Ray player and Your physical disc collection.

4) Yes, it upscales DVD's and SD downloads. Why bother with SD downloads? for the same reason that you buy DVD's. They are typically cheaper than their HD counterparts and, for some titles, the difference in quality may not be worth it. Also, they take up less drive space, which means you can fit more titles on your Alto.

In the end, it comes down to price of the hardware and whether or not you feel that you would get enough value out of the features it provides to justify that price.
thehun likes this.
post #18 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What an absurd string of responses, all just regurgitating the prior posts views. For the most part, most posts suggest that it's over priced and lacks a full offering of downloadable content. Well relative to the prior iteration of the product, K has materially upped its game. So today its $1,000 less and has a broader offering of downloadable content than ever before. Despite the litany of negative responses, I think I am right that the response has been more than positive.
WHATTHEDILEO and tenthplanet like this.

Last edited by yetis; 02-03-2015 at 06:59 PM.
post #19 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like a great product. It's too bad litigation seems to be the reason why a device like this is so much money. From a technology perspective, you can achieve the same performance for a fraction of this product's cost... even when not pirating movies.
post #20 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The Cinema One had this fault (quoted from Sound And Vision mag.) - which is ridiculous for a device of this price (although not K's fault)
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...rserver-page-2 :

Quote:
Even if you’ve already imported a BD movie to the server’s hard drive, the system requires that you insert the original disc into the Cinema One’s slot to prove that you own the disc before you can watch the movie. (There are no similarly imposed restrictions on DVDs or CDs.) Unfortunately, as the onscreen notice tells you, “Recognizing an inserted disc takes several seconds.” It’s not Kaleidescape’s fault, nor is it some sort of engineering flaw. Kaleidescape is admirably attempting to stay within the law. Unfortunately, having to insert your BDs into the Cinema One each time is like spending four grand on a pony for your daughter and then telling her she can’t ride it on sunny days.
You can avoid this by buying bit-identical BD (and DVD) versions of movies from the Kaleidescape Store and downloading them straight to the Cinema One. With some movies, if you already own the DVD, you can download the HD version for $5.99. Once you’ve done that, the Cinema One knows you own the movie, so there’s no disc (literally!) to load into the player. You can also do a $1.99 upgrade from a Blu-ray Disc you own to an HD download, which similarly eliminates the physical disc.
I hope this is not the same with the Alto -
post #21 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
1) I believe that you can start watching the movie before the download is complete.

2) Assuming you aren't deleting movies to make room on the drive and then redownloading them the next time you want to watch them, the download time is a one-time deal. So it would be more fair to compare the download time to the time it takes you to go out and buy a physical disc and then bring it home to watch.

3) Even if we assume that you can go out and purchase a Blu-Ray disc, bring it home, and start watching it faster than you could purchase a title from the K-scape store, download it, and start playback, there is a way to take advantage of that capability with K-scape. Buy a copy of the physical disc that includes an Ultraviolet digital copy. Put the disc in the Alto and hit play. Then, at your convenience, go redeem the digital copy from Vudu or another UV retail partner. Link your UV account to your K-scape account (only need to do this once). Then start downloading it from the K-scape store whenever convenient so that it is ready to go the next time you want to watch it.

At worst, the K-scape takes the same amount of time to acquire a title and start playback as any other player, the first time you watch that title. From that point on, it is faster and easier to use a K-scape to browse your library, make a selection, and start playback of a movie than it is with a regular Blu-Ray player and Your physical disc collection.

4) Yes, it upscales DVD's and SD downloads. Why bother with SD downloads? for the same reason that you buy DVD's. They are typically cheaper than their HD counterparts and, for some titles, the difference in quality may not be worth it. Also, they take up less drive space, which means you can fit more titles on your Alto.

In the end, it comes down to price of the hardware and whether or not you feel that you would get enough value out of the features it provides to justify that price.
1. I guess thats OK if you enjoy downloads.

2. Again if you enjoy downloads but I typially buy BD's when they are on sale and don't usually watch them the same night, not always enough time.

3. Like I said before, how much of hurry is anyone in to watch a particular title? I can wait until I have the disc and the time to watch something. I don't do UV copies, they are inferior to a BD, while they may be 1080P, the audio cannot match the lossless audio of a BD.

4. I don't buy DVD's anymore but I do watch the ones I still have and no scaler is going to make a DVD look or sound better than or equal to a BD. Besides the DVD's are not that much cheaper, look at the Target sale right now, the BD's are the same price as the DVD's.

Thanks for your support for the K-scape and downloads in general but no one is going to convince me that a download is better than a BD. When I want to watch something, I want the best PQ and SQ, that's how I enjoy my movie time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. As I said, I'll stick with my Oppo and BD's.

post #22 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:

2. Again if you enjoy downloads but I typially buy BD's when they are on sale and don't usually watch them the same night, not always enough time.

3. Like I said before, how much of hurry is anyone in to watch a particular title? I can wait until I have the disc and the time to watch something. I don't do UV copies, they are inferior to a BD, while they may be 1080P, the audio cannot match the lossless audio of a BD.

4. I don't buy DVD's anymore but I do watch the ones I still have and no scaler is going to make a DVD look or sound better than or equal to a BD. Besides the DVD's are not that much cheaper, look at the Target sale right now, the BD's are the same price as the DVD's.

Thanks for your support for the K-scape and downloads in general but no one is going to convince me that a download is better than a BD. When I want to watch something, I want the best PQ and SQ, that's how I enjoy my movie time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. As I said, I'll stick with my Oppo and BD's.
specifically on point 3: Without getting too poetic, I only wish they keep making movies that I want to watch right away... if it feels like all the stories have been told and all the songs have been sung, that's when we are really in trouble!

Blazar!
post #23 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 02:06 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:

3 1/2 hours to download or instantly watch a disc? HUM, LET ME THINK!

20 sec to start a movie, how much of a hurry do you need to be in to watch a movie? I WANT IT NOW

Does it upconvert DVD's like normal BD players? NOPE

Why bother with DVD downloads when you're using a BD player on an HDTV? DVD ARE SO COOL! NOT!

Plus a $2500 price tag? COME ON JUST ASK FOR A RAISE

Sorry but there is nothing appealing to me about K-scape devices, I'll stick with my Oppo and physical media! Thanks anyway for the review.
Good summary, yes they need to license the UI to Oppo and call it a day
sdg4vfx likes this.
post #24 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

K-scape downloads are not your typical Vudu/Amazon/iTunes quality. They are bit-for-bit copies of what is on the physical disc. They are the only download service that currently does this.

UV downloads/streams from different UV retail partners are not all equal, despite the fact that your UV license allows you to download/stream that title from any/all of the UV retail partners (provided all retail partners have a licensing agreement with the studio that owns said title). It doesn't matter where you redeem your UV code, either. It's true that if you stream a title from Vudu, the picture and sound quality will be inferior to Blu-Ray. However, you can still purchase or redeem a digital copy from Vudu and then (instead of streaming the lesser quality version from Vudu) download it from the K-scape store. The quality will be identical to the physical disc.

To use an analogy...you can buy a ticket to a movie playing in many different theaters from Costco. It's up to you to decide which theater you actually go to and use that ticket. If you choose the old run down theater then your experience probably isn't going to be as good as if you had chosen the new state-of-the-art theater. The ticket you bought at Costco is good at either theater though. So, the quality of the experience isn't determined at the time of purchase.
post #25 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
K-scape downloads are not your typical Vudu/Amazon/iTunes quality. They are bit-for-bit copies of what is on the physical disc. They are the only download service that currently does this.
If I am understanding the way these bit for bit downloads are done, you have to insert the physical disc to download it, correct? If so, why bother with the download, just watch the disc, I mean, heck, you already bought it. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to put a disc in a player a second time to re-watch it?

Anyway, I guess I just don't see the appeal of a download when the BD itself is the best representation of a given movie that I want to watch.

post #26 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quick Question

Thanks for a wonderful review. I already placed an order for this and according to my dealer it should be delivered week of 02/23.

I have a quick question. If I have the Alto and get the vault(when its released), does it mean 420 movies can be played with out touching a disc. Will Alto catalogue all 420 movies and 100 will play off my hard disk (downloaded from Store) and 320 from the Vault?

Cheers

Raj
tenthplanet likes this.
post #27 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
If I am understanding the way these bit for bit downloads are done, you have to insert the physical disc to download it, correct? If so, why bother with the download, just watch the disc, I mean, heck, you already bought it. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to put a disc in a player a second time to re-watch it?

Anyway, I guess I just don't see the appeal of a download when the BD itself is the best representation of a given movie that I want to watch.
You do not need a disc to buy a cloud-based copy of a movie. The physical disc allows you to purchase a disc-to-digital copy at a reduced price.

post #28 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Thanks for a wonderful review. I already placed an order for this and according to my dealer it should be delivered week of 02/23.

I have a quick question. If I have the Alto and get the vault(when its released), does it mean 420 movies can be played with out touching a disc. Will Alto catalogue all 420 movies and 100 will play off my hard disk (downloaded from Store) and 320 from the Vault?

Cheers

Raj
Yes the whole collection will be accessible without touching a disc.

post #29 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thank You

Quote:
That is sweet. I will order the vault day its announced.

Cheers

Raj
post #30 of 115 Old 02-03-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
That is nice. I only pray the vault is not as much as I am sure it will be. The current vaults cost about $7-8K, depending on which you get. :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Tags
frontpage , Kaleidescape

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page