FCC Approves Strong Net Neutrality Rules - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #31 of 319 Old 11-19-2015, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 640
From Yahoo Tech:

Quote:
In less than two weeks, Comcast will roll out its home broadband data cap program in eight additional cities, bringing its total up to 27 different markets across the United States. Under the terms of the program, Xfinity broadband subscribers may use up to 300GB of data per billing period. If they use more data for any reason, Comcast will charge an additional $10 for each 50GB used until the next billing cycle begins. For Comcast customers, this is obviously bad news. People in the U.S. are used to treading lightly with wireless data, aggravating though it may be, but home broadband services have historically offered unlimited data. Now, Comcast subscribers in 27 markets will have the same thoughts creep into the back of their minds each time they sit down to use a service like YouTube or Netflix: How much data does this use, and am I close to my cap?
But Comcast’s data cap program isn’t just bad news for the company’s own subscribers, it’s bad news for all of us.
First, let’s restate the most important thing to note about Comcast’s data cap program: it’s all about money. Whereas wireless carriers claim to have implemented data caps in order to prevent congestion and maintain high service quality for all customers, Comcast makes no such claims. In fact, a leaked support document recently showed that Comcast has instructed its staff to openly admit that the company’s 300GB cap has nothing to do with network congestion.
Instead, Comcast’s data cap program — which it ridiculously calls a “Data Usage Plan” — is purely a money grab. In fact, Comcast is perfectly happy to remove data caps from customers’ accounts if they’re willing to cough up an extra $35 per month on top of their already-pricey Internet subscriptions.
This could be the most brazen thing Comcast has ever done, and that’s really saying something.
Here’s the thing: as someone who isn’t a Comcast subscriber, it’s easy to furl your lip each time you read about Comcast caps and then go on about your business. After all, you’re not impacted by this move because you have some other ISP that offers unlimited home broadband data, right?
Wrong. Comcast is a business, first and foremost. It has been making that abundantly clear for years. Well guess what: every other ISP in the country is a business first and foremost as well. Home broadband penetration is very high right now; over 80% of U.S. households have home broadband subscriptions. If ISPs hope to continue growing their sales and profits moving forward — and as public companies, that is obviously their hope — they need to find new ways to boost revenue.
Compounding matters is the fact that cord cutting is becoming an increasingly popular trend, so companies like Comcast are losing revenue they had previously enjoyed from television subscriptions. And what inevitably happens when a customer cuts his or her cable TV service? Data usage goes up because streaming video increases from services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and YouTube.
It’s a difficult problem indeed, but data caps are a very troubling solution for consumers. If Comcast is permitted to cap subscribers’ data, its ilk will follow suit. It’s not a question of if, but rather when. Just as we’ve seen in the wireless market where unlimited data is now ostensibly a relic of the past, unlimited home broadband data will effectively disappear. Sure, you’ll be able to keep unlimited data if you’re willing to pay, but you can expect the cost of your unlimited data plan to increase regularly every few years.
Also of note, there are negative implications that extend beyond the increased expense for American households. Usage caps on home internet service will also inevitably stifle progress and innovation. It’s impossible to avoid. If home broadband data becomes something consumers must constantly monitor and use sparingly lest they pay penalties, new and exciting products that use large amounts of data might never come to be. Can you imagine how difficult it would have been for companies like Netflix and YouTube to raise capital if capped broadband data plans had existed when they were founded? This problem is real and it’s quite serious. It affects us all, not just Comcast subscribers. The Federal Communications Commission surprised the American public when it put consumer-friendly net neutrality rules in place, but that doesn’t mean its work is done and lawmakers get a free pass now.
The FCC has an Internet consumer complaint page — I suggest we all start to use it more actively.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 11-19-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 319 Old 11-19-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Comcast is Exempting its New Streaming Service From Usage Caps
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...ge-Caps-135691

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...nst-data-caps/

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #33 of 319 Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When Comcast bought NBCUniversal, it signed an agreement with the government that says if Comcast offers capped or metered Internet service, it can't treat its own network traffic differently from rivals' traffic. But that apparently doesn't apply to Stream TV since the in-home streaming isn't traveling over the public Internet.
So they are using a technicality to get away with this crap.

Ian

post #34 of 319 Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
So they are using a technicality to get away with this crap.

Ian
And so far, they are...http://www.wired.com/2015/11/comcast...lity-loophole/

Ian

post #35 of 319 Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix and You Tube back in court.

Netflix You Tube face court-hearing

Ian

post #36 of 319 Old 12-08-2015, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Netflix needs to follow Slings lead and call out Comcast's data caps.

Netflix needs to follow sling tv lead

Ian

post #37 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Didn't Netflix pay Comcast for no datacaps? I suspect they also got some deals on Universal releases in return.
post #38 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2519 Post(s)
Liked: 2371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Didn't Netflix pay Comcast for no datacaps? I suspect they also got some deals on Universal releases in return.
Netflix paid Comcast to ensure there were sufficient interconnect ports to support Netflix traffic. Previously Comcast was 'throttling' Netflix traffic(lack of enough interconnect ports). It was a Comcast/Netflix business deal and had nothing to do with the bandwidth usage caps Comcast applies to its customer's HSI service.
mailiang likes this.

Last edited by Keenan; 12-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.
post #39 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Netflix paid Comcast to ensure there were sufficient interconnect ports to support Netflix traffic. Previously Comcast was 'throttling' Netflix traffic(lack of enough interconnect ports). It was a Comcast/Netflix business deal and had nothing to do with the bandwidth usage caps Comcast applies to its customer's HSI service.
You don't actually think that Netflix wanted something else in return? That's how the business world works after all. Any exec worth his weight would have asked for some things in return. For example, Netflix has the exclusive on "The Blacklist" which is an NBC/Universal property. And since that deal I've seen the Universal logo come up on move movies than before.
post #40 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't actually think that Netflix wanted something else in return? That's how the business world works after all. Any exec worth his weight would have asked for some things in return. For example, Netflix has the exclusive on "The Blacklist" which is an NBC/Universal property. And since that deal I've seen the Universal logo come up on move movies than before.
Do you honestly think that Comcast is going to defer caps just for Netflix when they have their own offerings? I seriously doubt it.

Ian
Keenan likes this.

post #41 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you honestly think that Comcast is going to defer caps just for Netflix when they have their own offerings? I seriously doubt it.

Ian
The way caps are currently working is that they are only doing them where they have no competition. Here they have at least ATT. And I'm talking Comcast owned content where the idea is often to get it out in the channel including Amazon, iTunes, etc. More distribution channels equals more sales.
post #42 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I'm sure that's quite possible, something like The Blacklist deal, but you were talking about the bandwidth caps and I'd be shocked if Netflix got a pass on that, and in fact, in the affected markets there's been no indication that subscribers have been getting a pass on their bandwidth usage charges when using the service.
mailiang likes this.
post #43 of 319 Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Ian
I would say there's zero chance of that happening. Not without a whole new deal with Netflix paying Comcast for passage on their special cap-free parallel delivery system, the system they claim they use for their own Comcast streaming service which is cap-exempt.
post #44 of 319 Old 12-17-2015, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

FCC wants details on new streaming plans Comcast, AT&T and T Mobile must explain data cap exemptions.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 12-17-2015 at 09:24 PM. Reason: New link
post #45 of 319 Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Are data caps the future?

If you don't already hate your internet provider, you will..

Ian

post #46 of 319 Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the record AT&T says there is a listing on the bill for monthly data use but it's not listed on mine. With a third provider in the area they probably won't be doing data caps here anytime soon.
post #47 of 319 Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
For the record AT&T says there is a listing on the bill for monthly data use but it's not listed on mine. With a third provider in the area they probably won't be doing data caps here anytime soon.
I'm hoping Comcast feels the same for all of the bay area.
post #48 of 319 Old 12-21-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm hoping Comcast feels the same for all of the bay area.
By my figures and what I could discern from the gateway logs I was only using around 200 GB a month and that is still watching a bit of streaming each night. Probably only families will go over 300 GB however instead of Amazon I've been buying series on VUDU which play at 9 Mbps so my data usages may have gone up.
post #49 of 319 Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
By my figures and what I could discern from the gateway logs I was only using around 200 GB a month and that is still watching a bit of streaming each night. Probably only families will go over 300 GB however instead of Amazon I've been buying series on VUDU which play at 9 Mbps so my data usages may have gone up.
Yes, but it's more about what we'll be using in the near future and 300 GBs per month is just not going to cut it. And to pay $10 per additional 50 GBs when it actually costs but a fraction of that amount is just plain price-gouging and profiteering. If ISPs want to charge to deliver bandwidth by the bit like utilities than they should be regulated just like those utilities with independent third party inspection of their meters and public overseeing of the rates they charge.

The real problem is that the government of this country has fallen flat on its face when it comes to ensuring there is competition in the marketplace and the ISPs are really starting to take advantage of it.
mailiang and reddice like this.
post #50 of 319 Old 12-26-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 117
300 GB is not enough. Even streaming lower quality content eats up bandwidth like crazy. A 1TB cap should be the minimum.
Dark Matter likes this.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Apple TV (2015), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
post #51 of 319 Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, but it's more about what we'll be using in the near future and 300 GBs per month is just not going to cut it. And to pay $10 per additional 50 GBs when it actually costs but a fraction of that amount is just plain price-gouging and profiteering. If ISPs want to charge to deliver bandwidth by the bit like utilities than they should be regulated just like those utilities with independent third party inspection of their meters and public overseeing of the rates they charge.

The real problem is that the government of this country has fallen flat on its face when it comes to ensuring there is competition in the marketplace and the ISPs are really starting to take advantage of it.
Like I've posted before, if you are going to classify ISP's as a utility, then they should be treated as a utility.

Ian

post #52 of 319 Old 12-26-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I've posted before, if you are going to classify ISP's as a utility, then they should be treated as a utility.

Ian
Then we will get streaming brown-outs?
mailiang likes this.
post #53 of 319 Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I think some people get the equivalent of a streaming brown-out already.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #54 of 319 Old 12-27-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I think some people get the equivalent of a streaming brown-out already.
They get "unannounced" brownouts but in California if power systems are expecting them they let you know in advance they might be happening in your area.
post #55 of 319 Old 12-29-2015, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation Complaint factory: Angry Internet subscribers tee off against Comcast, Verizon, AT&T

More troubles for the big 3 ISP customers.

Comcast-gets-more-complaints-to-fcc-than-att-verizon-and-twc-combined

Ian

post #56 of 319 Old 12-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
300 GB is not enough. Even streaming lower quality content eats up bandwidth like crazy. A 1TB cap should be the minimum.
I agree. I had to set both Netflix accounts to the lowest, crappiest video quality and we still have to ration ourselves to barely make it to the end of the month. My 9 year old son suffers the worst, b/c his cheap tv scales terribly to 1080p. DVDs and Netflix look terrible, and even though he doesn't seem to mind, I feel guilty about it and even my wife has started to notice [how bad it looks]. We just buy him as many blu rays of his favorite shows as we can find. If it weren't for my Oppo's scaling abilities, I probably would not even bother with Netflix on my tv. If Comcast went to an unlimited data model for those willing to pay even an extra $40/month, I'd be 1st in line, instead of paying for a full month of internet and Netflix, and only being able to enjoy it sparingly for 3 weeks each month with low quality streaming.
mailiang and reddice like this.

Last edited by Dark Matter; 12-29-2015 at 01:29 PM. Reason: ommitted phrase
post #57 of 319 Old 12-29-2015, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
I agree. I had to set both Netflix accounts to the lowest, crappiest video quality and we still have to ration ourselves to barely make it to the end of the month. My 9 year old son suffers the worst, b/c his cheap tv scales terribly to 1080p. DVDs and Netflix look terrible, and even though he doesn't seem to mind, I feel guilty about it and even my wife has started to notice [how bad it looks]. We just buy him as many blu rays of his favorite shows as we can find. If it weren't for my Oppo's scaling abilities, I probably would not even bother with Netflix on my tv. If Comcast went to an unlimited data model for those willing to pay even an extra $40/month, I'd be 1st in line, instead of paying for a full month of internet and Netflix, and only being able to enjoy it sparingly for 3 weeks each month with low quality streaming.
You should post this on my Comcast thread.

Ian

post #58 of 319 Old 12-30-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, for a family 400 GB might be better. But I think the CTOs are telling their CEOs that compression keeps getting better so what might have eaten up 280 GB of bandwidth might soon be just 200 GB. I've seen DASH encodings that were VBR not CBR which can save quite a bit of bandwidth. Initially DASH was only done CBR.
post #59 of 319 Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
I just updated my router to DD-WRT which shows you bandwith usage. All I streamed was Disney XD for a few hours and two HD programs on Netflix and I already used 16GB of data yesterday. Today I used nearly 3GB and that was mostly streaming audio and browsing websites. No way is 300GB in today's streaming is enough.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Apple TV (2015), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
post #60 of 319 Old 12-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I just updated my router to DD-WRT which shows you bandwith usage. All I streamed was Disney XD for a few hours and two HD programs on Netflix and I already used 16GB of data yesterday. Today I used nearly 3GB and that was mostly streaming audio and browsing websites. No way is 300GB in today's streaming is enough.
When I signed up for Comcast, maybe a couple years ago, I believe there was a link that showed average bandwidth usage for various activities, including Netflix. A 2 hour full HD movie will use about 4 GB, vs 300 - 400 MB for a 2 hour SD movie, to put it into perspective. There's probably a link on Google that will give you an idea. Once I saw that, I switched to the crappiest video setting. Not only is the video quality subpar, but I believe that means everything is down mixed to stereo as well. As a matter of fact, it's not even SD, b/c whenever I hit the info button on my remote, I think it shows 384 lines of resolution. Since my wife is a homemaker, and she homeschools our 9 year old son, that means data usage all day long. Comcast doesn't have a data plan for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page