FCC Approves Strong Net Neutrality Rules - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #1 of 239 Old 02-26-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 607
FCC Approves Strong Net Neutrality Rules

FCC set to approve strong net neutrality rules

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Hope it does not impact my Netflix streaming like I had last summer before TWC made a deal with its direct connection to Netflix which made all my issues disappear.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premier (2016).
Cats are the best pets.
post #3 of 239 Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Hope it does not impact my Netflix streaming like I had last summer before TWC made a deal with its direct connection to Netflix which made all my issues disappear.
Legally it won't allow ISPs to extort NetFlix into having to pay for decent service.
cmdrdredd likes this.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥

post #4 of 239 Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4779
I have new respect for the FCC but the long term will tell....
post #5 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Let's see the rules. I need a third company that just moved into the town to come down my street but they do have a 300 GB. Maybe the rules will mean they can't do that.
post #6 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Let's see the rules. I need a third company that just moved into the town to come down my street but they do have a 300 GB. Maybe the rules will mean they can't do that.
The only thing that will change is how they will address any additional costs needed to assure enough bandwidth requirements from certain content providers. As I posted in the other thread, it's all about transparency, which has always been a fait accompli in the utility industry.

Ian

post #7 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2379 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The only thing that will change is how they will address any additional costs needed to assure enough bandwidth requirements from certain content providers. As I posted in the other thread, it's all about transparency, which has always been a fait accompli in the utility industry.

Ian
Have you actually seen this stated in writing? Earlier you compared the electric company and how it was regulated to what Title II means to Internet access and I don't believe that's a fair comparison. I do not believe ISPs will be regulated in the same manner as say an electric or gas company. Your posts seem to say that will be the case, I don't think so, these rules will not be that restrictive. I also do not believe there's anything in the new rules about how much an ISP can charge their subscribers, that's a clear difference from a utility right there. These rulings are making a big noise but I don't believe it's the end of the world as so many seem to think, I think the primary focus of the rulings will be on access, not restricting it to some while giving it to others. Rates, capital expenditures and thing of that nature are not part of what the FCC is trying to do here. That's my initial take on it anyway.
post #8 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Have you actually seen this stated in writing? Earlier you compared the electric company and how it was regulated to what Title II means to Internet access and I don't believe that's a fair comparison. I do not believe ISPs will be regulated in the same manner as say an electric or gas company. Your posts seem to say that will be the case, I don't think so, these rules will not be that restrictive. I also do not believe there's anything in the new rules about how much an ISP can charge their subscribers, that's a clear difference from a utility right there. These rulings are making a big noise but I don't believe it's the end of the world as so many seem to think, I think the primary focus of the rulings will be on access, not restricting it to some while giving it to others. Rates, capital expenditures and thing of that nature are not part of what the FCC is trying to do here. That's my initial take on it anyway.
I happen to agree with most of what you are saying, and I appreciate you posting your opinion on this thread. However, if you read my post in the Netflix Streaming thread correctly, there was no specific reference to electric or gas companies, and the changes I was referring to (Net-neutrality becomes the law of-the land) would not have any real impact on how much ISP's can charge their customers. My focus was on on utility principals, which include consumer transparency in terms of cost management, nothing more, nothing less.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 02-27-2015 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added link
post #9 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Ian
and how exactly do you know that? - They haven't released the new rules to the public - they did release them to google, and altered some of the new regs before the vote at google's request.

not releasing them to public scrutiny but releasing them to google doesn't seem to alarm anyone. If you did indeed get a copy of the new regulations, please share them with us lesser mortals

here's a link to some comments by those on the left who have apparently more than a few IQ points awake and working
http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...lity-john-fund

'A good police force is one which catches more crooks than it employs.' quote, Sir Robert Mark, Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police UK

Last edited by larryccf; 02-27-2015 at 09:00 PM.
post #10 of 239 Old 02-27-2015, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
and how exactly do you know that? - They haven't released the new rules to the public - they did release them to google, and altered some of the new regs before the vote at google's request.

not releasing them to public scrutiny but releasing them to google doesn't seem to alarm anyone. If you did indeed get a copy of the new regulations, please share them with us lesser mortals

here's a link to some comments by those on the left who have apparently more than a few IQ points awake and working
http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...lity-john-fund
Read my comments above. I don't wish to repeat myself and I did not create this thread to discuss the National Review and their politics thank you.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 02-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.
post #11 of 239 Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Was Netflix really for net neutrality before it was for it?

Ian

post #12 of 239 Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The PDF of the rules is available. So far I read through 12 pages which is probably 12 more than most folks here.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/at...CC-15-24A1.pdf
post #13 of 239 Old 03-14-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Net neutrality will regulate the internet the same way that the 1st amendment regulates free speech.
post #14 of 239 Old 03-14-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

A good read, especially for the "sky is falling" crowd.

FCC Open Internet Order - Separating Fact From Fiction

Quote:
Myth: This is a plan to regulate the Internet and let the government take over the Internet.

Fact: The Order doesn’t regulate Internet content, applications or services or how the Internet
operates, its routing or its addressing.

The Order does not regulate the Internet. It applies to broadband providers – the companies that
connect people’s homes to the public Internet. In other words, the Order protects consumers’
and innovators’ “last-mile” access to what’s on the Internet—the applications, content or services
that ride on it and the devices that attach to it. It means consumers can go where they want,
when they want and it means innovators can develop products and services without asking for
permission. (paragraphs 25-26, 186-193,336-340,382)
post #15 of 239 Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation Verizon may use data caps to undermine Net Neutrality

Verizon reportedly working on a plan to undermine Net Neutrality by using wireless data caps. Verizon mobile video may face data caps.

Ian

post #16 of 239 Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Everybody is going to start charging for the amount of data we use rather than a flat rate based on speed. Comcast already has a "cap" in place that they list on my account as temporarily not enforced but you can bet as people chew up more and more bandwidth and drop traditional video to stream content ISP's will charge by amount rather than speed.

Close your eyes and hear the truth!
post #17 of 239 Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post
Everybody is going to start charging for the amount of data we use rather than a flat rate based on speed. Comcast already has a "cap" in place that they list on my account as temporarily not enforced but you can bet as people chew up more and more bandwidth and drop traditional video to stream content ISP's will charge by amount rather than speed.
It's conceivable that Verizon may offer their own streaming video service (OTT) via their 4G network, and in doing so, reduce or even wave caps that would be charged when using other providers like Netflix. This would not fair well with the FCC, which in their ruling, made it clear that ISP's should be discouraged from using their network in a way that favors their own content.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 04-01-2015 at 03:50 PM.
post #18 of 239 Old 04-04-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
It's conceivable that Verizon may offer their own streaming video service (OTT) via their 4G network, and in doing so, reduce or even wave caps that would be charged when using other providers like Netflix. This would not fair well with the FCC, which in their ruling, made it clear that ISP's should be discouraged from using their network in a way that favors their own content.

Ian
Didn't they try and failed. I remember it was called RedBox. Eventually at least with there FiOS service they caved in and made a peering agreement with Netflix because they knew there pathetic streaming service failed and people were dropping them.

Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premier (2016).
Cats are the best pets.
post #19 of 239 Old 04-04-2015, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Didn't they try and failed. I remember it was called RedBox. Eventually at least with there FiOS service they caved in and made a peering agreement with Netflix because they knew there pathetic streaming service failed and people were dropping them.
This time it will be different, since it will be an exclusive mobile service for customers using their 4G network.

Ian

post #20 of 239 Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation Comcast considers data caps to curb streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post
Another way for Comcast to rip customers off.

Comcast broadband considers data rate plans.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 10-01-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #21 of 239 Old 10-01-2015, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I've been stuck with this cough--trial--cough, for nearly 2 years (come Jan) now...It's safe to assume they won't be dropping this nonsense anytime soon. This latest rash of "trial" markets is merely expanding caps across the country while acting as if they're doing something benign. They grant you 3 courtesy overages in a 12 month period before initiating the overage fee if you go over the 300GB cap. Naturally they never give customers who don't even approach 300 a discount for never going over it.

And I really hate the way the handle when they start metering at the first of the month. They don't start at midnight, but some hours before. Yesterday, checking at 5pm, I had 10GB left for the month. I watched 1 movie on Netflix during primetime, using the pc and the Chrome browser which Netflix limits to 720p... No other downloading/streaming occurred for the day. That should've been taken from the remaining 10GB for Sept, but it instead seems to have been deducted from October's allotment.

There's just something underhanded over how they handle last day metering and their timing of when to start the next usage cycle. This happened before and I called in to complain, and as typical for this company, nothing's been done about it.
In August, I purposely decided not to use browsers or devices that are limited to 720p, to see just how much data I'd consume. My typical usage pattern normally hovers at about 290GB a month when selectively monitoring device/browser use.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oct Data Use.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	971185  

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #22 of 239 Old 10-02-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm still waiting to see if the third company comes down the block. They're offering 110 mbps for $40 a month for the first year. There's a cap though, it's 1 TB.
post #23 of 239 Old 10-02-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm still waiting to see if the third company comes down the block. They're offering 110 mbps for $40 a month for the first year. There's a cap though, it's 1 TB.
Coming from the utility business, I believe that if ISP's are going to be classified as core utilities, then they should be required to bill as such. Data rates should be treated like utility rates, everyone gets the same speed, same service, currently available in their area, and charged for usage only. If I'm only using 25 gigs a month, then why should I pay the same amount as my next door neighbor who's using 300? The more you play the more you pay, period.

Ian

post #24 of 239 Old 10-02-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Coming from the utility business, I believe that if ISP's are going to be classified as core utilities, then they should be required to bill as such. Data rates should be treated like utility rates, everyone gets the same speed, same service, currently available in their area, and charged for usage only. If I'm only using 25 gigs a month, then why should I pay the same amount as my next door neighbor who's using 300? The more you play the more you pay, period.

Ian
I agree with you 100%. I stream quite a bit, but not nearly the amount I see other people stream here(at least those who show their bill's with usage).

Open up the floodgates(if you offer/have 150MB download service, EVERYONE gets it), and charge for what you use.

That seems fair.
post #25 of 239 Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ian
True, but electricity is another thing whereas broadband it isn't a constant flow. Everyone wants electricity but the ISPs would argue they have no idea when going into a neighborhood how many people are going to sign up. I think that is why the third provider has been a little slow here as they have some intel on how many households are still under contract with the other providers.
post #26 of 239 Old 10-04-2015, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
True, but electricity is another thing whereas broadband it isn't a constant flow. Everyone wants electricity but the ISPs would argue they have no idea when going into a neighborhood how many people are going to sign up. I think that is why the third provider has been a little slow here as they have some intel on how many households are still under contract with the other providers.
It's also not a necessity. So why then should government classify them as a core utility? Personally, I think were just grasping at straws here. I see no reason why an ISP can't charge as the meter flows, so to speak.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 10-04-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typo
post #27 of 239 Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Would that be just a 1 gbps service or would there be speed tiers.

The model gets more complicated as ISP were developed iteratively with no idea of where things were going. The software company I worked for had a meeting with PacBell back in the mid 1990s about this "new thing" they were going to be doing called "DSL." They joked at Comcast who was testing broadband in one Bay Area community Castro Valley. They said "would you trust a cable company to deliver your email?"

The bigger the company the slower it reacts. I figured Randall Stephenson is very PO'd about cable cutters because he probably projected big returns for investors with their IPTV and then we started cutting the cable. That's probably why they bought DirectTV.

IMHO, the best solution is municipal fiber where you lease access to the usual suspects as well as newcomers. That pays for it's upkeep.
post #28 of 239 Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would that be just a 1 gbps service or would there be speed tiers.
The maximum data rate that's available in your area.

Ian

post #29 of 239 Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation Comcast using data caps to punish streaming

Comcast will get you one way or the other.

Comcast data caps just low enough to punish streaming

Ian

post #30 of 239 Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware