HBO Now 5.1 streaming - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 178 Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also decided to try HBO Now last week since it showed up on my FireTV and was incredibly dissapointed with the PQ.

My internet service is not the best. I have theoretically 12Mbps of Download, achieve the highest tier of both Netflix 1080p and Hulu and it normally oscilates between 2/3 bars on VUDU HDX.

With HBO Now, however... I'm not sure what I was actually receiving but... pixels, macroblocks, banding all over the place! I switched between my ATV2 (limited to 720p) and my FireTV Stick at 1080p and couldn't really tell a difference between the two. Scenes without movement do have detail, but as soon as there was a slight movement, a slight camera pan of some sort... it really became painful to watch.

Some other(s) user(s) mentioned it as well, but for me Hulu also looks a lot better than what I saw with HBO Now.

Last edited by samukas; 08-26-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 178 Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post
My internet service is not the best. I have theoretically 12Mbps of Download, achieve the highest tier of both Netflix 1080p and Hulu and it normally oscilates between 2/3 bars on VUDU HDX.

With HBO Now, however... I'm not sure what I was actually receiving but... pixels, macroblocks, banding all over the place! I switched between my ATV2 (limited to 720p) and my FireTV Stick at 1080p and couldn't really tell a difference between the two. Scenes without movement do have detail, but as soon as there was a slight movement, a slight camera pan of some sort... it really became painful to watch.
Those are my symptoms exactly, any movement or camera pan on the screen and it becomes the exact opposite of smooth. I also have 12Mbps Internet service. CenturyLink by any chance? For comparison, HBO Go on my PS3 looked great.
post #33 of 178 Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
HBO Go had problems on my Chromecast which I assumed had more to do with the Chromecast and wifi than HBO Go. But Go was not available on my Sony BD player which uses Ethernet. I haven't tried Now with my Chromecast which now has the Ethernet adapter but the recently acquired Nvidia Shield Console would be a better choice when HBO supports it. And I am going to wait for HBO to have something I actually want to watch. "Utopia" was on the list but apparently no longer and besides I have the original on BD.

post #34 of 178 Old 08-27-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by samukas View Post
I also decided to try HBO Now last week since it showed up on my FireTV and was incredibly dissapointed with the PQ.

Some other(s) user(s) mentioned it as well, but for me Hulu also looks a lot better than what I saw with HBO Now.
You don't mention whether you're using ethernet or wi-fi, it makes a difference in some cases.

HBO Now (1080p and DD 5.1) streams at close to 5 Mbps (last I checked) so it shouldn't be a problem for your 12 Mbps service.

I have Hulu+ and it also looks and sounds fine on my ATV3, Roku 3 and Tivo Roamio OTA.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #35 of 178 Old 08-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Searching if others are having issues with the poor HBO Now sound quality brought me to this thread.

I use it with Chromecast and FireTv stick. I just sent HBO a question to ask if they're going to enable DD 5.1 (+) on either of these devices.

It isn't just that it is only 2 channel sound, it is also that the sound quality itself is of very low quality, very muffled.

Is it a lot better on an AppleTV device?

If HBO didn't make us pay via the Google store, they'd save 30% on the google tax.
post #36 of 178 Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Searching if others are having issues with the poor HBO Now sound quality brought me to this thread.

I use it with Chromecast and FireTv stick. I just sent HBO a question to ask if they're going to enable DD 5.1 (+) on either of these devices.

It isn't just that it is only 2 channel sound, it is also that the sound quality itself is of very low quality, very muffled.

Is it a lot better on an AppleTV device?

If HBO didn't make us pay via the Google store, they'd save 30% on the google tax.
I can't give you a universal answer but on my ATV3 going into a Denon 2309CI and 5.1 speaker setup it sounds fine.

DD 5.1 sounds fine on the all the ATV3 apps I use including Netflix, Hulu+ (2.0) and HBO Now. I don't hear any difference between ATV3 DD 5.1 and the Roku DD+ 5.1.

HBO Now is billed through iTunes. $15.75 including tax.

post #37 of 178 Old 08-30-2015, 06:32 PM

I got this back from HBO regarding the Chromecast and Firestick.

"Our team is working with Adobe on a fix for the Dolby 5.1 surround sound issue you are experiencing. "
post #38 of 178 Old 09-01-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My son watches at school over their ethernet, which has speeds of 100Mbps/100Mbps and he called to complain to me that it still stutters at times. He also complained about the picture and sound quality.
post #39 of 178 Old 09-01-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post
My son watches at school over their ethernet, which has speeds of 100Mbps/100Mbps and he called to complain to me that it still stutters at times. He also complained about the picture and sound quality.
Is he watching on computer or a streaming box?

post #40 of 178 Old 09-02-2015, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
You don't mention whether you're using ethernet or wi-fi, it makes a difference in some cases.

HBO Now (1080p and DD 5.1) streams at close to 5 Mbps (last I checked) so it shouldn't be a problem for your 12 Mbps service.

I have Hulu+ and it also looks and sounds fine on my ATV3, Roku 3 and Tivo Roamio OTA.
I was indeed using WiFi, though less stable than Ethernet it shouldn't have a problem keeping up with a 5-6Mbps stream, Netflix or Vudu for example are just fine over Wifi.

I didn't have any stutter, though. It was just overall terrible picture quality for "HD".

Last edited by samukas; 09-02-2015 at 03:45 PM.
post #41 of 178 Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Is he watching on computer or a streaming box?
Computer
post #42 of 178 Old 09-03-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post
Computer
Not surprising considering all the negative comments in this thread from computer users.

Apple devices seem a safer bet while everything else is not quite ready for prime-time.

post #43 of 178 Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I tried an experiment last night with my PC setup and the quality became much better. I have my PC connected to my AVR with an HDMI cable and that AVR is connected to my TV with another HDMI cable. I used to have my AVR be a second display but last night I tried the Duplicate Desktop option instead of Extend Desktop. HBO Now looked much better than it ever has before. Don't know if my graphics card didn't like running things at different resolutions or what (my main monitor is 1440p) but I'm much happier with HBO Now. Has anyone else tried running with a cloned desktop instead of a separate display?
post #44 of 178 Old 10-08-2015, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone tried HBO Now on the Roku? Does it support 5.1 surround? I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I'd like to get confirmation before subscribing.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #45 of 178 Old 10-09-2015, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post
Has anyone tried HBO Now on the Roku? Does it support 5.1 surround? I can't imagine it wouldn't, but I'd like to get confirmation before subscribing.
i just tried this with my Roku 3 - i couldn't get 5.1 sound while watching True Detective Season 1 not sure if this is because i am still on the free trial? Roku actually allows you to choose between 2 audio tracks. Track 1 is stereo. when i choose track 2, the screen will not go pass the Loading message, even though it has been loaded fully...

i've posted about this on HBO Now Facebook page - hope to get some response...
post #46 of 178 Old 10-09-2015, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i just recieved confirmation that 5.1 does not work on the Roku. this is their response over Facebook:

I do apologize about that sir. Our team is working with Adobe on a fix for the Dolby 5.1 surround sound issue you are experiencing. We want everyone to have a great HBO NOW experience and will make sure to keep you posted with any new developments. Thank you for your patience. ^Frank
post #47 of 178 Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Add this device to the list of other devices where 5.1 remains unsupported. Adobe is usually cited as the culprit.

post #48 of 178 Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
^^^ Add this device to the list of other devices where 5.1 remains unsupported. Adobe is usually cited as the culprit.
Well, this is the info I too was looking for.

We are owners of the first generation Fire TV and HBO Now did not play in 5.1. We now have the second generation of Fire TV and as of this post, 5.1 is not supported via HBO Now either. In fact, 5.1 is currently not playing on anything except Amazon content. Amazon has posted comments to customer reviews on the Amazon product site that a fix is coming via a software patch on October 22nd to address the 5.1 issue with Netflix and Hulu on the second generation Fire TV, and by the end of November for all other Amazon Fire TV units. There was no specific mention of a fix to HBO Now streaming in 5.1, however.

I was going to give Roku a shot, since we have a Roku 3, and know Netflix and Amazon stream in 5.1 on the Roku 3. Unfortunately we have not been able to get HBO Now activated on our Roku 3, an issue we are currently working with Roku support on, so we have no way to test. (For the record, HBO Now does not support payments via PayPal through Roku's site, so we had to switch to a credit card. For whatever reason, even though Roku can authenticate our credit card, the HBO Now service via Roku 3 will not validate our credit card, and fails to let us register on the Roku).

I am glad someone else posted and confirmed HBO Now is currently not streaming in 5.1 on the Roku 3. Saves me the trouble of wasting a free month of HBO to test (if I can ever get HBO Now to register on our Roku 3).

Thank you again for the information.
post #49 of 178 Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Anybody see any improvement on this recently?
post #50 of 178 Old 11-04-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdude View Post
Anybody see any improvement on this recently?
Yes, any updates that anyone has heard?

We watched HBO Now just this last weekend on our FireTV 2 and it still only had basic stereo, not digital surround.
post #51 of 178 Old 11-10-2015, 04:40 PM

HBO Now outputs DD 5.1 on my Roku 4, haven't tried on my Roku 3 yet.

Showtime anyway is 2.0 on both.
post #52 of 178 Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Roku 3 only plays HBO Now titles in stereo.

The ATV3 plays the same titles on HBO Now in DD 5.1.

post #53 of 178 Old 11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:

Showtime has no plans to stream in 5.1 DD.

Quote:
The Roku 3 only plays HBO Now titles in stereo.

The ATV3 plays the same titles on HBO Now in DD 5.1.
Patience. HBO claims it's a new service and the same devices that currently pass 5.1 DD streams from HBO GO will eventually do it on HBO NOW.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 11-11-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #54 of 178 Old 11-11-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
I would say cost has a lot to do with this particularly when it comes to support. They know how many are watching on browsers which don't support 5.1 so it probably isn't worth at the moment adding it. If you have an AV Receiver that supports it you can always run the PCM stereo output through Dolby ProLogic I or II for more depth. Some shows may be running the sound through a plugin in anyway in post to create artificial 5.1 than spend money on it.
post #55 of 178 Old 11-11-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:

This is good news! Thank you for sharing.

Now, if HBO Now would go 5.1 on the FireTV 2.0 we'd be in business!
post #56 of 178 Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Showtime has no plans to stream in 5.1 DD.

Patience. HBO claims it's a new service and the same devices that currently pass 5.1 DD streams from HBO GO will eventually do it on HBO NOW.

Ian
Sage advice but the reality is that HBO Now which launched in April 2015 still plays in stereo on certain devices 7 months later. Should it really take this long or longer?

By contrast Starz Play (which is a much smaller service than HBO) which started up on the Roku 3 in September plays in DD+ 5.1.

post #57 of 178 Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Sage advice but the reality is that HBO Now which launched in April 2015 still plays in stereo on certain devices 7 months later. Should it really take this long or longer?

By contrast Starz Play (which is a much smaller service than HBO) which started up on the Roku 3 in September plays in DD+ 5.1.
Well what do you expect? They're Time-Warner!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #58 of 178 Old 11-26-2015, 02:08 PM

HBO Now is DD 5.1 on my Roku3 and also the Nexus Player (Android tv).

I like the Nexus Player interface a LOT more.
post #59 of 178 Old 11-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update.

We are still waiting for HBO Now to be in 5.1 on our Fire TV 2.0.
post #60 of 178 Old 12-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I have the nexus player and receive netflix in 5.1 but hbo now is only 2.0 for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page