HBO Now 5.1 streaming - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #61 of 178 Old 01-11-2016, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebooter View Post
Thanks for the update.

We are still waiting for HBO Now to be in 5.1 on our Fire TV 2.0.
Just another update. As of yesterday, 1/10/2016, HBO is still not streaming in 5.1. Only 2.0 on the FireTV 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 178 Old 01-21-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentBlood View Post
i just recieved confirmation that 5.1 does not work on the Roku.
Could you or anyone else with a Roku comment on HBO Now's picture quality? I watch on a PC browser hooked up to a TV with an HDMI cable and it just doesn't seem smooth like watching Netflix or Amazon through the apps on a PS3 or Bluray player.
post #63 of 178 Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
HBO Now is DD 5.1 on my Roku3 and also the Nexus Player (Android tv).
Well, I think we have waited long enough for HBO Now to play in 5.1 on the Fire TV 2. As of this post HBO Now is still in 2.1 on Fire TV. I really see no reason why Amazon still doesn't have HBO Now in 5.1 on the Fire TV 2 when other players do.

Our HBO Now subscription was ready for renewal, so we are canceling on HBO NOw Amazon. We dusted off our Roku 3's and just subscribed to HBO Now on Roku. Decided to also order a couple new Roku 4's, which will be here in a couple days.

We love the Fire TV 2, but we like watching our shows in 5.1 much better. I am sure Amazon will get the HBO Now app updated at some point, but who knows when.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback here.

post #64 of 178 Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well, I think we have waited long enough for HBO Now to play in 5.1 on the Fire TV 2. As of this post HBO Now is still in 2.1 on Fire TV. I really see no reason why Amazon still doesn't have HBO Now in 5.1 on the Fire TV 2 when other players do.

Our HBO Now subscription was ready for renewal, so we are canceling on HBO NOw Amazon. We dusted off our Roku 3's and just subscribed to HBO Now on Roku. Decided to also order a couple new Roku 4's, which will be here in a couple days.

We love the Fire TV 2, but we like watching our shows in 5.1 much better. I am sure Amazon will get the HBO Now app updated at some point, but who knows when.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback here.
As an update, we received our Roku 4 units and set them up over the weekend. I can confirm that HBO Now DOES stream in 5.1 from the Roku 4, as others have confirmed.

One note about HBO Now streaming in 5.1. Not every program streams in 5.1. For example, we watched the new 'Whitney Cummings: I'm Your Girlfriend' comedy, which was not in 5.1, nor were any of the Vice series. But, we did test both the American Sniper and Exodus movies on HBO Now, and they did stream in 5.1.

Hope that helps others.
post #65 of 178 Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I can confirm that HBO Now is 5.1 on the Roku 2 as well. I finally gave in and bought one and HBO Now's video looks fantastic, far superior to watching on a PC->HDMI->TV.

5.1 is the icing on the cake although as Freebooter says, their news/comedy standup programming is not 5.1, according to the Roku it's 2 channel AAC.
post #66 of 178 Old 02-06-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I've got an nVidia ShieldTV (Android TV), and I seem to be unable to get HBONow to stream in 5.1. Is there any super-secret setting to get 5.1, as it looks like the Android TV client should stream in 5.1.
post #67 of 178 Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
I've got an nVidia ShieldTV (Android TV), and I seem to be unable to get HBONow to stream in 5.1. Is there any super-secret setting to get 5.1, as it looks like the Android TV client should stream in 5.1.
At this point HBO Now and nVidia ShieldTV is stereo only.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #68 of 178 Old 02-07-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
At this point HBO Now and nVidia ShieldTV is stereo only.
Thanks.. good to know that it is working as intended. Hopefully they get it working with 5.1 soon.
post #69 of 178 Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I just subscribed to HBO Now and am using it via the app on my Sony XBR-65x850c (Android TV) and wasn't able to get any 5.1 audio at all. Not really a surprise though. The only streaming TV app that does 5.1 audio is Netflix. The Amazon app does 4k and HDR, yet even that app doesn't have 5.1 audio. I can't believe after this many years, 5.1 audio is still not in use everywhere.
post #70 of 178 Old 03-17-2016, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Is HBO Now sound on NVIDIA Shield TV still only in stereo?

Please visit the YouTube HDR (Chromecast Ultra) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHDRChannel
post #71 of 178 Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

We love the Fire TV 2, but we like watching our shows in 5.1 much better. I am sure Amazon will get the HBO Now app updated at some point.
Just FYI, you don't subscribe to HBO NOW exclusive to one device. In other words, you didn't have to cancel the service through Amazon and resubscribe through Roku. HBO NOW is HBO NOW. I subscribed through Amazon, but I watch it on my Roku 3. I can also watch on my FireTV, or my tablet/phone/Chromecast. I choose my Roku only because of the reason for this thread, which is the 5.1 issue (only works on Roku).
Yes, my credit card gets charged through Amazon, but it's not "Amazon's HBO NOW." It's just HBO NOW that I'm subscribed to.
post #72 of 178 Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdolfan View Post
Just FYI, you don't subscribe to HBO NOW exclusive to one device. In other words, you didn't have to cancel the service through Amazon and resubscribe through Roku. HBO NOW is HBO NOW. I subscribed through Amazon, but I watch it on my Roku 3. I can also watch on my FireTV, or my tablet/phone/Chromecast. I choose my Roku only because of the reason for this thread, which is the 5.1 issue (only works on Roku).
Yes, my credit card gets charged through Amazon, but it's not "Amazon's HBO NOW." It's just HBO NOW that I'm subscribed to.
I had absolutely no idea this was the case! Thank you!

I thought each device was exclusive, therefore we canceled HBO Now originally on our Apple TV when HBO Now finally became available on Amazon. If this is the case, I will dust off our Roku 3's and check out HBO Now on the Roku's so we can see HBO Now in 5.1!

Thank you again for the info!
fzdolfan likes this.
post #73 of 178 Old 03-21-2016, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I thought each device was exclusive, therefore we canceled HBO Now originally on our Apple TV when HBO Now finally became available on Amazon. If this is the case, I will dust off our Roku 3's and check out HBO Now on the Roku's so we can see HBO Now in 5.1!

Thank you again for the info!

Just to be clear (in case it comes up), I do believe that the Showtime Add-on subscription to Prime that Amazon offers IS exclusive to Amazon and must be viewed on a device via Amazon Prime video. Hulu offers the same thing that must be viewed through Hulu, and Showtime itself offers the independent streaming that can be viewed on any device that has their app (including Roku). But the latter is $2 more per month.
post #74 of 178 Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdolfan View Post
Just to be clear (in case it comes up), I do believe that the Showtime Add-on subscription to Prime that Amazon offers IS exclusive to Amazon and must be viewed on a device via Amazon Prime video. Hulu offers the same thing that must be viewed through Hulu, and Showtime itself offers the independent streaming that can be viewed on any device that has their app (including Roku). But the latter is $2 more per month.
Got it. Thanks again!
post #75 of 178 Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reply from HBO NOW on DD 5.1

This the official reply I received 4/15/2016 from HBO NOW -

"At this time, there is no update on offering Dolby 5.1 yet on any devices."

This was an answer to my request -

[/quote]"I want to subscribe to HBO NOW but with surround sound support, e.g. Dolby 5.1 etc. Your website lists compatible devices to receive HBO NOW but does not list surround sound options.

Would you tell me please what devices come with surround sound for HBO NOW?

ROKU is a no.
What about FIRE TV?
Apple TV?

PS3/PS4 are not on your devices list, will these be available at some date and with surround sound?"[/quote]

It would seem that HBO NOW is only sending stereo for ANY device. I suspect that for those who claim 5.1, it is being simulated by your receiver and is not true 5.1.
post #76 of 178 Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris Barrows View Post

It would seem that HBO NOW is only sending stereo for ANY device. I suspect that for those who claim 5.1, it is being simulated by your receiver and is not true 5.1.
Just a case of customer service not knowing their product.

The ATV3 does DD 5.1 and according to another post in this thread so does the Roku 4.

It's not simulated. My Denon 2309CI display shows the incoming signal on one side as 5.1 and the outgoing signal on the other side as 5.1.

This was tested on a Game of Throne episode and the movie Blood Diamond.

post #77 of 178 Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Would you tell me please what devices come with surround sound for HBO NOW?

ROKU is a no.
You may already be aware of this, but Roku DOES play HBO Now in 5.1. Confirmed on Roku 3 and 4 for sure.

Thanks for the update from Amazon. Disappointing to hear for sure. I keep saying it, but I am really surprised Amazon, of all companies, cannot get the app developed to play HBO Now in 5.1.
post #78 of 178 Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 PM

HBO NOW On Roku gives 5.1

Based on the comments here I activated my HBO NOW on my Roku Stick and sure enough I receive full 5.1 thru my ONKYO . I then activated my FireTV stick for HBO NOW and as indicated elsewhere here it does not support surround. Both devices connect directly to the ONKYO via HDMI.

The point of contacting HBO NOW directly was to obtain a definitive statement on what devices supported surround sound so I could use an appropriate device and subscribe. The answer I received was simply wrong in every respect. I will get back to them and complete their survey request they sent me - appropriately. Just very annoying that they were so wrong and misleading.

I wasn't sure what comments to believe here since there seemed to be some inconsistencies in what worked and what did not - hence the hope of a definitive statement from HBO NOW. Sigh!

Thanks folks.
post #79 of 178 Old 04-16-2016, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may already be aware of this, but Roku DOES play HBO Now in 5.1. Confirmed on Roku 3 and 4 for sure.

Thanks for the update from Amazon. Disappointing to hear for sure. I keep saying it, but I am really surprised Amazon, of all companies, cannot get the app developed to play HBO Now in 5.1.
Thanks for this reminder, I haven't used my Roku 3 in months. I installed the HBO Now app and logged into my HBO Now account. And sure enough the Roku 3 played HBO Now in 5.1. Now if Tivo could develop an HBO Now (not HBO Go) app I'd have most of my devices covered.

post #80 of 178 Old 04-16-2016, 09:14 AM

I have to give HBO NOW tech support credit for their swift responses. This was the latest after I let them know their last reply was unhelpful.

"Hello Cris,

Thank you for your reply. HBO NOW has been working with Adobe on a fix for Dolby 5.1 surround sound for the Fire TV and TV stick. Most of our movies on Roku and the Apple Tv do support the Adobe 5.1 surround but not all of our content will play using it. At this time we have not been given a release date for the PS3/PS4 platforms but are looking to expand our services to include them."
post #81 of 178 Old 04-16-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I have to give HBO NOW tech support credit for their swift responses. This was the latest after I let them know their last reply was unhelpful.

"Hello Cris,

Thank you for your reply. HBO NOW has been working with Adobe on a fix for Dolby 5.1 surround sound for the Fire TV and TV stick. Most of our movies on Roku and the Apple Tv do support the Adobe 5.1 surround but not all of our content will play using it. At this time we have not been given a release date for the PS3/PS4 platforms but are looking to expand our services to include them."
Well, that certainly is a helpful reply from HBO Now. Kudos to that Customer Service Rep for taking the time to respond substantively.

Thanks for posting and letting us know.
post #82 of 178 Old 04-17-2016, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"Hello Cris,

The promise of an upgrade for these devices has been going on for some time. Their arrival is anyone's guess.

The HBO tech support not knowing what's what is not uncommon nowadays especially as companies start streaming. For a time when Amazon was streaming 1080p they would only admit to 720p and this is still the case with Hulu at the moment. And then when companies started using DD+ versus regular DD. The list goes on...

post #83 of 178 Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 27
HBO Now just released for Xbox One!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...eason-premiere

Will check it out this weekend, really hoping it's 5.1 and better quality than my Fire TV (2nd)/Apple TV (3rd)
post #84 of 178 Old 04-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeep127 View Post
HBO Now just released for Xbox One!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/...eason-premiere

Will check it out this weekend, really hoping it's 5.1 and better quality than my Fire TV (2nd)/Apple TV (3rd)
Keep us posted!
post #85 of 178 Old 04-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can report that HBO Now on my XBox One is outputting 5.1 audio. I have the Xbox set to output bitstream audio via HDMI. I also did some A/B testing with a Blu Ray disc I have (San Andreas) that is also currently available via HBO Now, and it sounded like the spots where there was significant use of the surround channels was matching across the two.

As for the video quality of HBO Now on the Xbox One...ugggh. The moving bands of compression artifacts in scenes with lots of shadows in Game of Thrones are highly distracting -- unwatchable for me once I start noticing it. And the overall level of detail in San Andreas felt more like DVD quality than HD. It did not compare well with the Blu Ray.
post #86 of 178 Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I can report that HBO Now on my XBox One is outputting 5.1 audio. I have the Xbox set to output bitstream audio via HDMI. I also did some A/B testing with a Blu Ray disc I have (San Andreas) that is also currently available via HBO Now, and it sounded like the spots where there was significant use of the surround channels was matching across the two.
Well, thanks for the update. So it seems Amazon is essentially the 'last' one to get 5.1 working.
post #87 of 178 Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As for the video quality of HBO Now on the Xbox One...ugggh. The moving bands of compression artifacts in scenes with lots of shadows in Game of Thrones are highly distracting -- unwatchable for me once I start noticing it. And the overall level of detail in San Andreas felt more like DVD quality than HD. It did not compare well with the Blu Ray.
The last check I did in August 2015 on HBO streaming the speed came in at close to 5 Mbps for 1080p. VUDU is almost twice that for HDX. So yes, you're going to see artifacts from time to time. Amazon Prime can push out some of their videos at 10+ Mbps. For the money people pay each month for this service they should definitely up their game IMO. Game of Thrones can only float their boat for so long.

post #88 of 178 Old 04-27-2016, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I can report that HBO Now on my XBox One is outputting 5.1 audio.
Sadly I found the opposite to be true. I downloaded the app on Xbox One and am only able to get stereo. I've tried every setting combination on both my Xbox and receiver. Did a quick search and found others with the same results on Reddit. Are you sure you are getting actual 5.1 and not simulated surround or something?
post #89 of 178 Old 04-28-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno_402 View Post
Sadly I found the opposite to be true. I downloaded the app on Xbox One and am only able to get stereo. I've tried every setting combination on both my Xbox and receiver. Did a quick search and found others with the same results on Reddit. Are you sure you are getting actual 5.1 and not simulated surround or something?
Did you set your Xbox HDMI audio output to bitstream?

Asking if 5.1 is simulated is a good question. If it is being extrapolated or simulated, then the Xbox is doing it and not my receiver. My receiver sees it as 5.1

I'm not sure how you could tell if the Xbox is turning stereo into 5.1 except for looking at specific 5.1 material that features some distinct sound effects on the surround channels and listening closely to be sure it was being separated into all 6 channels. It would be good to test it with something where you could hear a very distinct sound from one of the left or right surround speakers. If you can think of a scene from something on HBO where you want me to give it a whirl I will. But I will probably cancel HBO Now pretty soon as the video quality is so poor, and I already went ahead and reactivated it on DirecTV where I record it via SageTV with much higher quality than HBO Now delivers.
post #90 of 178 Old 04-29-2016, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
So it seems Amazon is essentially the 'last' one to get 5.1 working.
On what platform? I get DD+ 5.1 from Roku 3 and TiVo Bolt. I haven't tried it on a console.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page