More headaches for cable customers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #61 of 210 Old 12-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
I'm never in any contracts but if you call them to cancel they will give you a good deal for 18 months to stay with them. After the 18 months I call and cancel again and again I get another 18 months of good prices.
I do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 210 Old 12-24-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
I'm never in any contracts but if you call them to cancel they will give you a good deal for 18 months to stay with them. After the 18 months I call and cancel again and again I get another 18 months of good prices.
Same here. (My wife has a Comcast account for her brother) But I also have Directv for my carrier and Cablevision for my ISP and it's cheaper.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #63 of 210 Old 12-24-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Same here. (My wife has a Comcast account for her brother) But I also have Directv for my carrier and Cablevision for my ISP and it's cheaper.

Ian
I'm paying $24.99 for 30Mbps for 12 months and then $34.95 for 6 months. But, now I have a problem. I bought an Amazon Fire TV "Kodi" Stick. So now I'm streaming movies, live TV, live sports, and Pay Per View specials for free. But, it pauses to rebuffer quite often. My son also at the same time wants to be on his XBOX Live account on his XBOX ONE and my daughter uses her iPad for netflix, youtube, and other apps and games.

So, I think I need to get a faster package but I don't know how much more money that'll cost me per month. If it's too much, I'll suffer with 30Mbps and keep my bill at $24.99. Does anyone know how much my bill would go up if I asked to stay in a special with internet only but at a much higher speed? And does anyone know how fast Comcast in Fort Wayne, Indiana is capable of?

Merry Christmas Everyone!

post #64 of 210 Old 12-24-2015, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm paying $24.99 for 30Mbps for 12 months and then $34.95 for 6 months. But, now I have a problem. I bought an Amazon Fire TV "Kodi" Stick. So now I'm streaming movies, live TV, live sports, and Pay Per View specials for free. But, it pauses to rebuffer quite often. My son also at the same time wants to be on his XBOX Live account on his XBOX ONE and my daughter uses her iPad for netflix, youtube, and other apps and games.

So, I think I need to get a faster package but I don't know how much more money that'll cost me per month. If it's too much, I'll suffer with 30Mbps and keep my bill at $24.99. Does anyone know how much my bill would go up if I asked to stay in a special with internet only but at a much higher speed? And does anyone know how fast Comcast in Fort Wayne, Indiana is capable of?

Merry Christmas Everyone!
My brother in law's cable package includes HBO and Showtime, phone and 120 meg internet for under 2 bills a month.

Ian

post #65 of 210 Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
My brother in law's cable package includes HBO and Showtime, phone and 120 meg internet for under 2 bills a month.

Ian
I have unlimited minutes through my cell phone and have no need for the phone. I also get HBO and Showtime through Kodi for free so I have no need for cable. Actually Kodi offers more content than cable or Dish offers. I just need internet. Right now I'm getting 30Mbps for $24.99 a month. I would pay up to $40 a month for 50Mbps and up to $60 for over 100Mbps. That's it.
post #66 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have unlimited minutes through my cell phone and have no need for the phone. I also get HBO and Showtime through Kodi for free so I have no need for cable. Actually Kodi offers more content than cable or Dish offers. I just need internet. Right now I'm getting 30Mbps for $24.99 a month. I would pay up to $40 a month for 50Mbps and up to $60 for over 100Mbps. That's it.
Isn't Kodi a Android app? Our family watches most content on big screen TV's. If we had any other choices in that area, Comcast would not be one of them.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 12-25-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #67 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Isn't Kodi a Android app? Our family watches most content on big screen TV's. If we had any other choices in that area, Comcast would not be one of them.

Ian
You can "cast" (mirror) to a TV with many Android apps if you have a Chromecast and the Shield Android TV has a Kodi app. I also can cast VUDU to the Shield though they don't have an app yet. But I need to test to make sure I'm getting DD+ when I do that otherwise I use their BD player app. What casting usually does unless you are casting something on your browser is just send the stream direct to the device.
post #68 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
Quote:
...I also get HBO and Showtime through Kodi for free so I have no need for cable. Actually Kodi offers more content than cable or Dish offers...
'Splain please. Unless you're stealing it you must be paying someone for the movie channels...

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #69 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
You can "cast" (mirror) to a TV with many Android apps if you have a Chromecast and the Shield Android TV has a Kodi app. I also can cast VUDU to the Shield though they don't have an app yet. But I need to test to make sure I'm getting DD+ when I do that otherwise I use their BD player app. What casting usually does unless you are casting something on your browser is just send the stream direct to the device.
Yep, I can picture my brother in law doing that.

Ian

post #70 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
'Splain please. Unless you're stealing it you must be paying someone for the movie channels...
Kodi Amazon Fire HD and Fire TV Sticks are NOT illegal. In fact, go to Amazon.com and search "Kodi Fire TV". You can buy an already modified device straight from Amazon.
post #71 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Kodi is not illegal but many of the apps loaded on those Fire Sticks are not endorsed by the community and are in fact stealing.
post #72 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Kodi Amazon Fire HD and Fire TV Sticks are NOT illegal. In fact, go to Amazon.com and search "Kodi Fire TV". You can buy an already modified device straight from Amazon.
DUH. I never said the hardware was illegal, I was asking where you get HBO and SHO without paying for it.

post #73 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
DUH. I never said the hardware was illegal, I was asking where you get HBO and SHO without paying for it.
Since you said DUH, I'm going to leave it up to you to find the channels. There are not hundreds, but thousands of channels worldwide. Since you are so smart I'm sure you'll figure it out. I have better things to do.
post #74 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since you said DUH, I'm going to leave it up to you to find the channels. There are not hundreds, but thousands of channels worldwide. Since you are so smart I'm sure you'll figure it out. I have better things to do.
Like steal programming? Real smart to boast about being a criminal...

post #75 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Like steal programming? Real smart to boast about being a criminal...
I'm sensing jealousy here. First you say I'm stealing it and then you ask where I am getting it at. Why do you want to know? Exactly..........
post #76 of 210 Old 12-25-2015, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm sensing jealousy here. First you say I'm stealing it and then you ask where I am getting it at. Why do you want to know? Exactly..........
Well I suppose I'd like to know how or why some a$$hats believe they are entitled to programming without paying for it. This attitude costs legitimate subscribers to these services in the form of higher rates. Or if everyone stole soon they would have no incentive to make more content. Not that I'm calling you an a$$hat, but if the hat fits...

edit: You don't even need Kodi to find or steal programs. Any browser will do. Just Google it...

post #77 of 210 Old 12-28-2015, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Sling CEO Says Comcast Data Caps Designed to Hurt Streaming Rivals

Sling CEO says Comcast data caps designed to hurt streaming rivals

Ya think?

Ian
markrubin and GreySkies like this.

post #78 of 210 Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Question And the million dollar question is....

When will data caps cost consumers more money?

Ian

post #79 of 210 Old 01-15-2016, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The one thing Comcast actually does right.

Cable networks furious at Comcast for actually doing the right thing!

Ian

post #80 of 210 Old 01-15-2016, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 230
You can read the original article from the New York Post here.
Funny that the networks Comcast is relocating to higher tiers, belong to other companies. Here's a thought, how about moving some of the dozens they own out of the basic tier, hmmm??! Do we need Bravo and Oxygen? NBC Sports Channel and two Comcast SportsSouths, with the Golf Channel? E! and Esquire Network? That'll save us subscribers a ton of money.

In other Comcrap news, the little DTAs that have been sitting on our set tops for the last 3 years, have apparantly increased in value. As of this month, they're now $4 a month, up from $2... Funny, has my refridgerator doubled it's value-and I own that...maybe if we rented our stuff instead of owning it, their value would go up double too.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #81 of 210 Old 01-16-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Comcast did add a guide and other features to the DTA's, so there is a bit of justification. Also, by me, they only went up by $1 ($2.99 --> $3.99). But then, a few years ago, they were free.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #82 of 210 Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post
You can read the original article from the New York Post here.
Funny that the networks Comcast is relocating to higher tiers, belong to other companies. Here's a thought, how about moving some of the dozens they own out of the basic tier, hmmm??! Do we need Bravo and Oxygen? NBC Sports Channel and two Comcast SportsSouths, with the Golf Channel? E! and Esquire Network? That'll save us subscribers a ton of money.
It will only save subscribers money if Comcast actually reduces the price for the basic package. Otherwise, customers who subscribe to the basic package are paying the same price and getting less for it. At the very least, this should enable them to keep the price from increasing for a while. Will that actually happen? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, customers who watch the channels that are being moved out of the basic package to another tier, will have to pay more to continue watching. That may seem fair in a situation where the price increase is commiserate with the incremental cost of carrying those networks. But, it likely won't be. Instead, subscribers will have to pay more for a higher tier that includes a bunch of other networks they clearly don't care about (otherwise they would already have been in that tier), just so they can continue to watch a couple shows they like. You may not care now, but wait until they move a network that carries a show you actually watch. You might then be pressured to move up a tier and pay for a whole lot more content that you'll never watch.

A la carte viewing is an expensive pipe dream at this point and it will continue to be that way for a long time to come. If you pay $100 per month now for 185 channels and you only watch a dozen different channels, you are effectively paying $8.33 per channel that you watch. Chances are, to be able to get all of those same channels via. OTT, you'll end up paying close to that same $100 per month. This may seem fine until the price is increased for one of those channels because it is no longer being subsidized by other subscribers who never watched it to begin with. Or worse, the channel completely disappears because even its fans aren't willing to pay the increased price.

Sure, you can save a bundle by only subscribing to one or two of those a la carte channels and then use Netflix to watch the rest of your shows a few months after they originally aired. But, let's be honest. Netflix is nothing more than a single "channel" that provides a ton of shows as one big bundle. So, here we are subsidizing a bunch of shows we don't watch again. The main things that make Netflix attractive are price, lack of commercial breaks during the show, and the ability to start watching your show without having to wait for it to air first (so that you can record it). If/when the day actually comes that cable/satellite companies no longer charge you directly for content, do you think that OTT providers like Netflix and Amazon won't significantly increase their rates? And, isn't it clear that the cable companies will increase the amount you pay for the needed bandwidth to stream those shows? What if, 10 years from now, you're paying $100 per month for your internet service and another $100 per month for OTT subscriptions? How will that be any better than what we have now? And, how many billions of dollars will have to be spent in infrastructure in order to provide the needed bandwidth to all of the consumers who would then depend solely on OTT delivery of content? To me, it seems like a whole lot of money spent on change for the sake of change.
post #83 of 210 Old 01-16-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Too little too late. Where does Comcast get it's executives anyway? Oh that's right, from the family tree. It's a family run business.
post #84 of 210 Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM
boo
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

In other Comcrap news, the little DTAs that have been sitting on our set tops for the last 3 years, have apparantly increased in value. As of this month, they're now $4 a month, up from $2... Funny, has my refridgerator doubled it's value-and I own that...maybe if we rented our stuff instead of owning it, their value would go up double too.
I find that the DTA boxes are a great value, where else ( cable or sat.) can you get a HD Box for $3.99 a month, with our X1 at $7.99, our total box fees are only $11.98 a month.
post #85 of 210 Old 01-20-2016, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation More headaches now for Time Warner customers

Maybe I should have named this thread 'More headaches for all cable customers!'

Time Warner cable celebrates merger approval by raising prices!

Lets Party!

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 01-20-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added pic.
post #86 of 210 Old 01-21-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Maybe I should have named this thread 'More headaches for all cable customers!'

Time Warner cable celebrates merger approval by raising prices!

Ian
This only involves New York state at the moment but I'm confused how this can happen on a state by state basis. Doesn't the Charter and TWC merger have to be approved on a national level first?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #87 of 210 Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lightbulb Sooner is bettter then later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
This only involves New York state at the moment but I'm confused how this can happen on a state by state basis. Doesn't the Charter and TWC merger have to be approved on a national level first?
I believe you are correct. The decision from the FCC was to come no earlier then late March, but I can only guess that due to the NY decision, it looks promising, so why not raise prices now?

Ian

post #88 of 210 Old 01-29-2016, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Comcast thinks everyone should be forced to rent cable boxes

Comcast-on-fcc-cable-box-proposal-2016

Ian

post #89 of 210 Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Don't any of you ever get fed up & just put an antenna on the roof?

Yes I know the younger genneys were weened on Cable & programmed that "Television is not free" ... but still, you put up with this (poor PQ ect), continue to play their games & put up with their ever increasing rate hikes weather it be Con-Cast or Crime Warner.
post #90 of 210 Old 01-29-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Don't any of you ever get fed up & just put an antenna on the roof?

Yes I know the younger genneys were weened on Cable & programmed that "Television is not free" ... but still, you put up with this (poor PQ ect), continue to play their games & put up with their ever increasing rate hikes weather it be Con-Cast or Crime Warner.
An antenna is a great idea for flatlanders, but many folks live in areas(San Francisco bay area) where the topography of the land prevents the use of OTA reception.
Brian Conrad and mailiang like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page