No Netflix Dolby Digital 5.1 in Edge browser? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-22-2017, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No Netflix Dolby Digital 5.1 in Edge browser?

I'm sure there is an answer to this somewhere but my quick search didn't find it:

Is Dolby Digital 5.1 supported in Netflix on the Edge browser in Windows 10? I find that the 5.1 audio option is not even showing as one of the language options on shows and movies that I know are available in 5.1 (such as Netflix Originals). If I use the Windows 10 Netflix App, then the 5.1 audio language options are there for the shows/movies with 5.1.

My setup is an Intel NUC Windows 10 box, with HDMI feeding a Samsung TV, but the audio is being fed from an optical connection (via a separate USB sound device) to my Yamaha receiver. I can play dolby digital 5.1 sources from the computer like test files, or things in VLC, or using the Netflix App, but it frustrates me that Netflix in the Edge browser only gives me a stereo option. It is not only that it just comes out stereo from the receiver, but somehow the Netflix site is seeing my setup and not showing the audio 5.1 option.

(Oh yes I'm in Canada)

I did read something on Netflix' site about 5.1 not being available with Silverlight or HTML5 but I don't really know what those are and if they are part of a Windows 10 box running Edge, with almost the latest version of the O/S. I also find it strange because there is a whole bunch of information on the internet about Edge being one of the first browsers to support Netflix surround sound.

As I said the Win10 Netflix App seems to work for 5.1 but actually even that is weird because my receiver tells me everything playing from Netflix is Dolby Digital when clearly there are shows that are in stereo only. I'm able to test this because I also have an Oppo BluRay player that has a Netflix App and in that case shows that are stereo show stereo on my receiver and shows that are 5.1 display Dolby Digital on my receiver.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Dolby digital isn't reserved for 5.1. Mono and Stereo is also supported.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page