Vudu hdr10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Vudu hdr10

I am a little perplexed as to why Vudu, which to my understanding is a Walmart company, is not supporting HDR 10 as The vast majority of the TVs Walmart sells are Samsung which support HDR 10 not Dolby vision. Until just a month or so ago, Walmart didn't even have any DV capable TVs in stores. So why does Vudu seem to be so nuts about a format that almost no one can use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
They are going to add HDR10 support sometime this year. I don't think they announced a date yet.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw1975 View Post
I am a little perplexed as to why Vudu, which to my understanding is a Walmart company, is not supporting HDR 10 as The vast majority of the TVs Walmart sells are Samsung which support HDR 10 not Dolby vision. Until just a month or so ago, Walmart didn't even have any DV capable TVs in stores. So why does Vudu seem to be so nuts about a format that almost no one can use?
This is the only thing Vudu has said publicly on the record about Dolby Vision and HDR10 support:
Quote:
“Dolby Vision is the highest quality HDR solution, as well as the first to market. Vudu has not committed to any exclusivity related to Dolby Vision, but, in our quest to deliver the best customer experience and to be a leader in new technology delivery, we launched with the solution that was available before there was an HDR10 standard. We expect to support HDR10 as well, so that we can deliver the best experience, to as many customers as possible.“
Basically, they chose DV because it was first on the market (the format itself, TVs did not support either format back then) and it also provides easy 4k SDR compatibility in the same stream as the 4k DV. They will eventually add HDR10 support.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-31-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 141
That was quite a while ago they said they'd support HDR10, and not a peep since. I'm surprised nobody has pressed them for an update. Who knows if it is still in the plans. I sure would like to see HDR10 added...would be great to get an update.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
There has been an ongoing discussion on HDR 10 on the VUDU forum since February.

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.ph...ng-HDR-content

Post #14 states:

Quote:
As I said in my post, any Universal UHD with HDR disc that you redeem the digital copy, the UV copy will stream in UHD with HDR in My Ultraviolet Library in FandangoNow on the Roku Ultra. The app does support HDR 10.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #6 of 10 Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Is it just me or did Vudu quietly already add HDR10? I have it casting in HDR10 to my TV right now using the Chromecast Ultra.....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Is it just me or did Vudu quietly already add HDR10? I have it casting in HDR10 to my TV right now using the Chromecast Ultra.....
Did you (or can you) take a photo of the screen showing HDR10 confirmation?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #8 of 10 Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
At this point it might be good to come up to speed on what Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG are. The latter two are royalty free and likely to get employed more. I didn't reread it so not sure that it may mention that Dolby Vision devices can also handle HDR10 and maybe even HLG. I think I read that somewhere. However as the article points out adding these color enhancers is NOT as straightforward as adding 4K support. Even adds it may be some time before you'll see broad support of these. Warning the article is aimed a content producers and thus very technical.
http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articl...DR-118846.aspx
post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Did you (or can you) take a photo of the screen showing HDR10 confirmation?
I actually returned it, I have a Dolby Vision TV and when I casted Vudu to my receiver which only supports HDR10 I think it was giving me this really bad HDR10 quality. I know for sure it said HDR10 but the contrast was way blown out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I actually returned it, I have a Dolby Vision TV and when I casted Vudu to my receiver which only supports HDR10 I think it was giving me this really bad HDR10 quality. I know for sure it said HDR10 but the contrast was way blown out.
As that article I posted pointed out these color expanders are a bit like 5.1 audio. It costs more money to have sound designers create 5.1 for a show. There are plugins that will create the effect and those have even been available on low cost consumer video editing programs for years. Expanded color takes a colorist who knows what they are doing. It also mentions it might not always solve things like black crush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page