Streaming 4K with a Cat. 5E cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2017, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Streaming 4K with a Cat. 5E cable

Can 4K be streamed with a Cat. 5 cable, wired ? Or does it require a Cat. 6 cable ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 6994
CAT 5E can do Gigabit (1000 Mb/s). What's a good 4K stream, 25-30 Mb/s? It it's a new install, no reason not to do CAT 6 for future proofing.

Ich bin hier und du bist mein Sofa
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Cat 5 was recommended by the tech AT&T sent out to replace an old 3 wire phone cable that runs from the box to the modem (about 25 feet). I told him I would do it myself but looking at my Cat 5 cables and the old three wire the old cable looks more robust. The tech didn't think that 25 Mbps would work with the old cable. I currently have 18 Mbps service running on the old cable which comes up on a speed test at 23 Mbps.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
cat5 or cat5e will be absolutely no problem for you - you can go with the cat6 if you want, but there's no need for it. I have installed many a cable in businesses that depend on their rapid data transfers et cetera - and that cat5 cable, which can handle gigabit no problem, will do just fine for 4k. It's not much different from what your ISP is using anyhow (they use larger cables, often a 50-pair or so, but they are no different than an average solid-core cat5e). Just make sure to use decent quality cable, and there will be no issues.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmack View Post
cat5 or cat5e will be absolutely no problem for you - you can go with the cat6 if you want, but there's no need for it. I have installed many a cable in businesses that depend on their rapid data transfers et cetera - and that cat5 cable, which can handle gigabit no problem, will do just fine for 4k. It's not much different from what your ISP is using anyhow (they use larger cables, often a 50-pair or so, but they are no different than an average solid-core cat5e). Just make sure to use decent quality cable, and there will be no issues.
Thoughts on regular cat5e vs shielded? Some seem to say it isn't worth the additional expense.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks all. Cat. 5E is what I currently have, and I was hoping that I don't have to redo it.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Thoughts on regular cat5e vs shielded? Some seem to say it isn't worth the additional expense.
You only really need the shielded if you are going to have a) a lot of EM interference (lots of electric cables running right along side your cable, for example) or b) if you are running it farther than 1000ft in a single run. If neither of those apply, there's no reason to go to the extra expense of getting shielded cable.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmack View Post
You only really need the shielded if you are going to have a) a lot of EM interference (lots of electric cables running right along side your cable, for example) or b) if you are running it farther than 1000ft in a single run. If neither of those apply, there's no reason to go to the extra expense of getting shielded cable.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page