Showtime Anytime vs HBO Go framerates - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Showtime Anytime vs HBO Go framerates

Because Comcast compresses the hell out of their signal and makes everything look like garbage, we try to watch as much as we can through services like Hulu or provider apps. We subscribe to both Showtime and HBO via Comcast, so we have the ability to login to both of their apps. I have done this through both an Apple TV 4 and a Roku Ultra.

Can someone explain, why does the Showtime Anytime app video look nice and smooth, whereas the HBO Go app looks a little choppy? Is this the 30fps vs 60fps?

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Because Comcast compresses the hell out of their signal and makes everything look like garbage, we try to watch as much as we can through services like Hulu or provider apps. We subscribe to both Showtime and HBO via Comcast, so we have the ability to login to both of their apps. I have done this through both an Apple TV 4 and a Roku Ultra.

Can someone explain, why does the Showtime Anytime app video look nice and smooth, whereas the HBO Go app looks a little choppy? Is this the 30fps vs 60fps?

Thanks for any help.

-Kevin
They're probably both 24 fps unless you're watching some sports special. Any conversion needed is generally done by the hardware on your device. They've all had inverse telecine since DVD players came out.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've found the best Showtime quality is if you subscribe through Amazon Prime - Amazon seems to use pretty high bitrates for their streaming.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
They're probably both 24 fps unless you're watching some sports special. Any conversion needed is generally done by the hardware on your device. They've all had inverse telecine since DVD players came out.
Thanks. What is normal Comcast cable TV sent at.....60fps? I'm still trying to wrap my head around all this in regards to streaming. I know with the Hulu Live beta (as well as Sling I think) they are both at 30fps, where DirecTV Now and Vue are 60fps? When I tried the Hulu Live, I noticed live TV wasn't super smooth and read an article about how they scaled it back to 30fps for the initial rollout. That's what got me thinking that HBO Go was doing something similar.

I've had this choppy view using the PBS app as well.....especially when the scene pans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2828 View Post
I've found the best Showtime quality is if you subscribe through Amazon Prime - Amazon seems to use pretty high bitrates for their streaming.
That's good to know as I've always been impressed with Amazon's quality. Seems they have really high bitrates for everything I ever watch. Guessing you subscribe that way? If so, are shows available next day?

-Kevin
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
So I read your posts in the Amazon thread here:
Amazon Prime Instant Video

Thanks for the info. Certainly confusing to me

-Kevin
post #6 of 7 Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Yes, TV standards can be very confusing. Actually broadcast digital is also a stream, an MPEG-2 transport stream. Live shows may be 30fps (29.97) but most scripted shows will be 24 fps (23.97 dropframe) with a telecine flag in the stream alerting the receiver it may need to do a conversion. It was a lot of fun back in the early days recording the signals and seeing what was in the streams. The HTPC forum here was a discussion center for this.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
That's good to know as I've always been impressed with Amazon's quality. Seems they have really high bitrates for everything I ever watch. Guessing you subscribe that way? If so, are shows available next day?

-Kevin
I've been watching Twin Peaks that way, and the on-demand stream is available right at the same time the live episode starts airing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page