Will the aggressive upgrading by Hulu, Sling, TV.YouTube cut into dominance by cable? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2017, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Will the aggressive upgrading by Hulu, Sling, TV.YouTube cut into dominance by cable?

In the last few months, these three services seem to be making moves that would allow them to compete with cable. What is most lacking so far, is that none of them can be controlled with a handheld remote.
Online chatter seems to say that Roku and Hulu (and or Sling) might be working on a solution for that lack.

Sling seems to have the most channels available.
tv.youtube does not have CNN. They do have a 30 day trial period. Others have seven days. They do have all the network stations in some areas like here in the bay area. Sling does not seem to have CBS anywhere.

I haven't found any real discussion about the subject or any articles comparing the services. We are now using the tv.youtube trial. If they do not add CNN, we will probably cancel. The picture quality seems even better than Comcast cable.

One problem these services may face is that, of course, they rely on the Internet to deliver service. In many areas Comcast is the only provider! They put low caps on the amount of data you can use- that could prevent customers from using these alternate services. Fortunately, we are not at Comcast's mercy. Our building in Oakland gets high-speed Internet over the air from Google. Each unit in the building gets 100mbps up/down. The total cost per unit is $25 a month! That is paid out of our HOA dues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-22-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If you're interested in cutting the cord and going with an OTT service, check out the Cord Cutters blog. More content than you can read in an afternoon.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The problem with all of the streaming services is that none is truly ala carte. So you still end up with many channels you have no interest in or watch, basically the same issue I had when I subscribed to Time Warner years ago. I subscribe to Sling TV Orange for $20/month. I watch maybe 2 or 3 channels at the most and sometimes wonder why I bother when I have so many other entertainment options. With my Tivo Roamio OTA I can record any of the major and sub channels I want. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Now and the 700+ movie collection I have on VUDU. I have little use for Hulu and likely drop it in November when my subscription ends. If you restrict your viewing to the evening hours as I do there is not enough time to watch each show or movie I am interested in.

I upgraded my internet service to 60 Mbps from 15 Mbps for an extra $5/month so I am ready for 4K material whenever I decide it's worth the upgrade.

New Study Shows That Around 63% of Subscribers to Streaming Services Still Have Cable

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Providers almost force you to keep some sort of cable due to aggressive bundled pricing. I couldn't get fios for much less than i could get fios tv net and phone. The phone i never hooked up, cable is my last resort if I'm not looking for anything in particular to watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I don't understand these moves because most cord cutters don't care about live TV. I sure don't. Next day is good enough and with my Showtime add-on shows are available the same time they become available on cable... on the east coast (I'm on the west). I guess some people still like appointment TV.

Hulu has some excellent originals. They picked up "Cardinal" an excellent Canadian series based on an award winning novel. I finished the episodes last night. The PQ was so good I think it was probably 4K and Hulu doesn't have the staff to extend that logo. I followed the final episodes with "El Chapo" on Netflix which has documentary like 4K and very sharp. Both shows were very comparable in detail. Don't expect Hulu though to confirm more 4K support. We know they had 1080p probably a good year before it was "official".
post #6 of 11 Old 06-22-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roknrol View Post
If you're interested in cutting the cord and going with an OTT service, check out the Cord Cutters blog. More content than you can read in an afternoon.

http://cordcuttersnews.com/
THANKS for reference to that site. I would have thought AVS would have had a section for that. You are right-it will take me quite a while to absorb all the information there. This is really a rapidly changing area. A lot has happened just in the last four months.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-25-2017, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
In the last few months, these three services seem to be making moves that would allow them to compete with cable. What is most lacking so far, is that none of them can be controlled with a handheld remote.
Huh? A roku controls all that with one remote and roku tvs even eliminate the need for a tv remote which cable rtv never could.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-25-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
Huh? A roku controls all that with one remote and roku tvs even eliminate the need for a tv remote which cable rtv never could.
We have had the Roku device (premier+) since that model came out last fall.
The new Hulu Live service does not work with the Roku. That is being worked on, as I understand when I called Hulu CS.
We just signed up for the 30 day free trial from Google's tv.youtube. It is not compatible with Roku at all.
The Sony/Vue is compatible with Roku. I will try their seven day trial next month.
Both of these services have all the local network channels channels.
The Google service does NOT have CNN. It does seem to have unlimited storage in time and and maybe, quantity.
The Sony service is limited to 28 days of storage. It does have TCM which we would watch at times.
I didn't really look into Sling when I quickly learned they did not have CBS.

Our situation is somewhat unique. We "commute" between two homes into different parts of the country. In one, we get virtually everything Comcast has including HBO and Showtime included in our HOA dues. What I am looking to do is cut the Comcast service in our other home.
We can use the Roku to access services like CNNgo, HBOgo etc.
Our ideal service would be controllable via handheld remote, have a DVR type capability (we never watch anything live) and, of course, have the channels we watch.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Until Hulu offers at least 1080p and 5.1 sound, no thanks.

TiVo Bolt (TiVo zealot since 2003)
Yamaha 3060 (BEAST RECEIVER), Oppo 203
Nvidia Shield TV, Apple TV 4K
Finally an owner of the OLED65B6P!!!
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, 2005 - 2007, The Gambia
post #10 of 11 Old 06-28-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanlivedit View Post
Until Hulu offers at least 1080p and 5.1 sound, no thanks.
They already have 1080p and have "officially" since last December. 5.1 will probably need to wait until AV1 is released since that takes licensing and AV1 is a royalty free option. And for TV a lot of 5.1 probably isn't even sound designed just run through a plugin in edit.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
We have had the Roku device (premier+) since that model came out last fall.
The new Hulu Live service does not work with the Roku.
"Remote" doesn't necessarily mean Roku remote. Another way is to run PC with Kodi (and a regular TV), then you will only need a PC remote, it usually controls basic TV set functions too. Not all streaming services work with Kodi, though Kodi developers come up with new add-ons every year.

No PVR with unlimited storage time - yes, this sucks. This is where cable TV shines, all formats of cable TV.

PS: Forgot to mention - Kodi does CNN/CBS too (you asked about these feeds in post 1 ). Appears to be on/off affair though. Likely, the providers are to blame. Some CBS work, some don't (there is half a dozen "CBS" as you probably know).

Last edited by almot09; 09-26-2017 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page