• 1 Post By PooperScooper

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If not DVD, then what?

Sorry if posted in the wrong section.

Is there any for-pay video download service like those for audio: https://www.mp3va.com/ ?
To actually download (SD is fine), to own it and watch off-line?

Not on-screen recording, not to buy "the right to access" like on Amazon video where you are allowed to watch it indefinitely IF you're online. I think Hulu is even charging money for their real-time recording, i.e. you never "buy" it, but rather, rent it for as long as you're paying the rent (and again, you have to be on-line).

Not to mention that both Amazon Video and Hulu are not accessible in Canada unless you get VPN.

I'm an old guy, like watching old shows on my own schedule in the middle of nowhere. So far, the only real deal that I've found was buying a set of DVD. My music collection has been already digitized. I do have perfectly serviceable DVD, and digitized those movies that I have, for watching on HDD+Kodi - much better than running DVD with slow remote and lame menus.

Is there any other way to buy, other than buying DVD and then what - digitize and sell it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by almot09 View Post
Sorry if posted in the wrong section.

Is there any for-pay video download service like those for audio: https://www.mp3va.com/ ?
To actually download (SD is fine), to own it and watch off-line?

Not on-screen recording, not to buy "the right to access" like on Amazon video where you are allowed to watch it indefinitely IF you're online. I think Hulu is even charging money for their real-time recording, i.e. you never "buy" it, but rather, rent it for as long as you're paying the rent (and again, you have to be on-line).

Not to mention that both Amazon Video and Hulu are not accessible in Canada unless you get VPN.

I'm an old guy, like watching old shows on my own schedule in the middle of nowhere. So far, the only real deal that I've found was buying a set of DVD. My music collection has been already digitized. I do have perfectly serviceable DVD, and digitized those movies that I have, for watching on HDD+Kodi - much better than running DVD with slow remote and lame menus.

Is there any other way to buy, other than buying DVD and then what - digitize and sell it ?
RE: If not DVD, then what?

If I understand your question correctly, you should be able to accomplish what you want to on Apple's iTunes, i.e., buy a video, not just long-term rent (in 720 or 1080p); download it; and watch it off-line. iTunes is relatively easy to set up on a PC or tablet. If you have any questions or problems, Apple Support in Canada is great: 1-800-263-3394. However, be forewarned that when it comes to iTunes, the support for it comes from two separate departments: 1. Billing (dealing with errors in pricing, your account, etc.) and, 2. The Tech Support Dept for whatever device you've installed iTunes on. Don't let whomever answers the phone tell you otherwise because it's a huge waste of time otherwise. (And if you like old classic movies, iTunes has a whole section for them). Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Also, some of the streaming services do allow you to download some titles, although they expire after a certain amount of time. They may be restricted to built-in memory on a phone or tablet and not something like an SD card on Android or USB drive.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR

post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
One option would be a Netflix DVD subscription. Monthly payment depends on how many discs you have "out" at one time. You get the next disc in your queue when you return the one you have.
Of questionable legality is copying the disc from Netflix (AnyDVD or MakeMKV), and watching it at your convenience after you return the disc.
I can't get any information about Canada since it logs me into my account (a feature, not a bug, no doubt).
You may get info here:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-_B0uIdr5DP5rw
Michael

(if the link doesn't work, Google "Netflix Canada")

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 08-20-2017 at 06:39 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks people. Forgot about Itunes - used to think of them as an audio source

Oddly, buying DVD on Amazon in the cheapest way. Few times cheaper per season than Itunes downloads.

Netflix DVD would be inconvenient in my situation.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 6994
Check out the Internet Archive - Best SF, horror & fantasy films/transfers in the Internet Archive

I don't know about mainstream stuff, but there's more content there than you can shake two sticks at.
Ken.F likes this.

Ich bin hier und du bist mein Sofa
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
...digitize and sell it

There's a technical term for this: Pirating. Once you sell the disk, you have no right to own the content. In fact, it's debatable whether you even have the right to digitize it if you keep the disk but at least they get your money that way.

RickyDee
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
This is not the place for that discussion, but I'm wondering what brought it up anyway. No one suggested that (unless it's a quote that got deleted).
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: Getting Started With REW: A Step-by-Step Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page