Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
What are you streaming 4K?

I figure it's time for a thread like this as 4K becomes more common and more streaming services have 4K streams. I've been watching a lot of stuff on Netflix that is 4K. Recently semi-binged "Narcos" season 3 and there have been a few foreign films (who aren't as timid licensing 4K content as Hollywood seems to be) in 4K.

BTW, local stores are blowing out the stock of 1080p sets and 4K (non-HDR) sets are at low prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am able to stream 1080P videos of no problem but for 4K videos it always gets stuck
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2017, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I stream the Marvel shows on Netflix via my Xbox One S among other movies and shows. I've also watched Okja and a few other movies. Okja has Atmos too!

The quality is definitely better than 1080p but on dark scenes and scenes where there's a lot of "transition" there is some blockiniess, etc.
But overall it's very good! Hopefully it gets better in the future and rivals the disc!

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
cherishjo, basically one needs around 24 Mbps streaming to get most all 4K content. That said I have 18 Mbps because the installer didn't think I should do 24 Mbps without replacing my phone wiring with Cat5. I have not had problem with Netflix, Amazon and those sneak Hulu selections or even VUDU 4K samples. Only YouTube streams at around 21 Mbps. The new codecs are really good and 4K can look good at 11 or 9 Mbps.

However how a show looks in 4K depends on how it is shot. In photography we all learned that if you open the aperture to let more light in your image was softer. Same with shooting video. I have a little 4K camera and the best subject matter is shot in bright sunlight. When selecting a title so show 4K to a visitor I try to find bright high contrast titles. The other day I used the title sequence to Netflix's "House of Cards" and my visitor was astonished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page