post #151 of 160 Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceperson View Post

I'm not sure that there's really any such thing as a true DL supporter. It's more like BD hater. The more you hate BD the more you believe everyone in the world has fiber running directly from the movie studios into their TV's and PC's.

lol you noticed the increase on this topic after the Warner announcement too eh?

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

The record companies were saying the same thing when MP3 downloads came on the scene.

It's easier to download illegally than to walk into a store and walk out with a CD via five-finger discount.

Quote:

Is the movie buying public intrinsically different from the music buying public?

Yes. But if you were to offer ONLY music downloads at the same price as store-bought CDs, you wouldn't see the same numbers. And no, kids don't care about movies as much as which goofy pop star has a new CD out. The demographic changes with music and movies, and therefore the quality requirements change (increase) hence this discussion.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I like buying CD's and I don't download music, but I realize that I'm in the minority on this. When you look at how CD has had a hard time competing, it doesn't bode well for HDM down the road. CD has had two advantages over downloads, better quality and no DRM. Even so, it has continued to loose market share. HDM offers less of a value proposition.

Again, it's hard to compete against free, regardless of item. Realize that you cannot have this conversation without Nappyster and the like permeating the discussion. Normal, CD quality downloads at CD prices wouldn't have the same foothold. If you bring up iTunes as an example why it would work, then we need to explore which delivery service is going to facilitate these downloads--at true HD quality.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #153 of 160 Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
How about Internet 2 which is already available, but not to every day consumers? How about Internet 3 and 4 as well? All of these are being designed for much faster speeds and bandwith capabilities.
post #154 of 160 Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

How about Internet 2 which is already available, but not to every day consumers? How about Internet 3 and 4 as well? All of these are being designed for much faster speeds and bandwith capabilities.

Those are servers connected to interstate private lines not for last mile connections to residential customers.

The connections that would have to change are the ones running into peoples homes.

Not between Carriers NOCs, POPs etc...

And most of this would not be run through the public internet it would be coming from a server at your local ISP, Telco TV or Cable Operators NOC across their private network you connect to. The same place your internet, TV & phone service originates.
post #155 of 160 Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddyJDS View Post

The storage of MP3s which are compressed & small files to begin with is not apples to apples with the storage of 50GB HD movies that play @ an equal PQ / AQ as HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Which is what Comcast has described. Apple has been far more realistic about what can be delivered and their flavor of HD download is a 720p resolution with bandwidth allowing for PQ / AQ sub-sd-dvd quality.

I download in the .wav or .flac format & have to add a new 1TB HDD every 3 or 4 months....I have about 5 TBs of external storage currently. Do you know how many MP3s can be stored in the space 1 HD download would require?

THOUSANDS.

The average consumer can store a lot of MP3s on the internal HDD of their PC but can store only a few movies.

The average consumer isn't going to buy multiple external HDDs to store movies as a collector, it is FAR less cost effective than just buying a HD DVD or Blu-Ray player & buying physical medai.

And PLEASE do not mention Solid State Drives....a 100GB SSD is around $800 today and years from mass market

I think the comparison is quite similar. CDs contain much larger higher quality files as opposed to their MP3 download cousins. HDM contains much larger higher quality files than we'll find from the vast majority of download services. I know that most folks on AVS won't be interested, but I'm looking at the general public, not the serious enthusiasts.

From what I've read these downloads are smaller than a DVD in size. We're not looking at 50GB per movie. Now the argument that we're looking at a different demographic for movies and music may be valid. Honestly, I'm skeptical on this point as it seems to me that a lot of movies are geared to the same young demographic that generate the majority of music sales.
post #156 of 160 Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Channel View Post

I think the comparison is quite similar. CDs contain much larger higher quality files as opposed to their MP3 download cousins. HDM contains much larger higher quality files than we'll find from the vast majority of download services. I know that most folks on AVS won't be interested, but I'm looking at the general public, not the serious enthusiasts.

From what I've read these downloads are smaller than a DVD in size. We're not looking at 50GB per movie. Now the argument that we're looking at a different demographic for movies and music may be valid. Honestly, I'm skeptical on this point as it seems to me that a lot of movies are geared to the same young demographic that generate the majority of music sales.

I [also] look at this from a mass market / mainstream perspective. Not the purists but the regular people that are [also] not tech savvy.

The HD files may be smaller & of a much lesser quality than HD DVD or Blu-Ray for sure. To be apples to apples with HD DVD or Blu-Ray will require files around 50GB or it just won't an equivalent. It will be a lesser product.
post #157 of 160 Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

They tried that several years ago in the philly area. It was a flop as now there is more competition for high bandwidth.

In Philly, We have 4 choices that I know of although there may be more.

Cavtel Highspeed
Verizon Fios
Comcast Cable/Fios
DirectTV High Speed

I currently have comcast Fios and get about 25Mbits. It costs me..... $19.95/month.

I originally signed up at 24.99, but they raised me to $42.99 after 3 months. I called up and threatened to switch Verizon for $25 and they countered with $19.95 for 18 months.

Competition is a great thing. If you have more than one provider in the area, work them against each other.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #158 of 160 Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 609
What is Comcast FIOS? FIOS is from Verizon. I thought FIOS was trademarked?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #159 of 160 Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

The ISPs would LOVE for digital downloads to become the reality.. they just want a cut. Don't be surprised if the person offering you bajillions of movie downloads on an unthrottled port is your cable co and not some 3rd party.

I have 0 problems with this outcome assuming quality and selection are there at an attractive price point. I have my doubts about getting all 3, but one can hope...
post #160 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogogus View Post

I have 0 problems with this outcome assuming quality and selection are there at an attractive price point. I have my doubts about getting all 3, but one can hope...

You will not be getting the kind of 50GB 1080P lossless audio encodes that we are coming to expect from Blu-Ray.

What you will likely be getting, at least for the next several years, is something very similar to Apple TV's "HD" downloads which consist of extremely overcompressed 1080P video bundled together with Digital Dolby audio. I believe that the typical Apple TV "1080P" movie clocks in at a total size with audio of around 5GB as compared to 20-30GB for the same material on high def optical media.

You might not care about those missing bits, but I sure as hell do.
Reply Video Download Services & Hardware

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page