Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 267 Old 04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
virusc
I just came out of the IMAX projection booth at the Colossus in Woodbridge, ON. They're still using film my friend The only digital image is the opening sequence, which is when you saw the pixels and TI logo, but the films are all 70mm baby. I took pictures, but I don't know how to upload them:$ The projectionist/manager told me that they have no plans to convert to digital, because digital can't do the screen size they have. It was pretty amazing to see all the inner workings and the two behemoth projectors playing Monsters vs Aliens 3D. The film reels are enormous! I also found out why the sound seems to lack dynamics. He told me he runs the bass at -2 because of complaints by customers. He says when he screens movies for himself, he runs it at +2. So I asked him why he doesn't run it at 0, and he said he still got complaints:@ those people complaining should just stay home!! So they're going to let me join them for a private IMAX screening of Star Trek on Tuesday with the sound levels set right I'm very excited. I've never watched anything Star Trek related before, so this will be an experience.

David Budo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched Star Trek(2009) in IMAX last night and all I can say is: WOW! Great audio design and the visuals were beautiful. I'm happy I got to see it on film. The projection manager set the audio levels to 0. He told me that the audio track was at first mastered too low, so they remastered it to a little higher than reference. The center channel strained a little, but other than that, it was great. Tons of surround presence, with excellent mid and low bass.
Here's my review of the movie:

Star Trek(2009)
Acting 1/1.5
Directing 1.2/1.5
Script/dialog 1/1.5
Cinematography 0.8/1
Editing 0.9/1
Audio 0.9/1
Costume design 0.4/0.5
Overall entertainment 1.7/2
Total 7.9/10
An intergalactic battle revolving around revenge, threatens the lives of billions of beings throughout the universe. In this perquel, the origins of James T. Kirk and Spock are explained. The acting takes a back seat to the great direction of J. J. Abrams, who provides an opportunity for viewers unfamiliar with the story, to enter into their world without feeling alienated(myself being one of the unfamiliar viewers). The story constantly moves forward throughout the film with some funny dialog and dynamic action sequences. I'm sure Trekies will enjoy this film unless they have some issues I'm unaware of. For the rest of you, give this movie a chance and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

David Budo
post #93 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What aspect ratio Dub? 1.77?
post #94 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I'm sure it was 2.35:1. Have you seen it?

David Budo
post #95 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No but I am a Trekkie of sorts, so will be...

Rotten Tomatoes had a perfect 100% review score for it as of yesterday, it went down a bit but still excellent.
post #96 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Tell me what you think when you see it, and what you think of my review. I started writting movie reviews lately. Keeps me busy I'm going to try to get them published in some small newspapers.

David Budo
post #97 of 267 Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It is an interesting element weighing method, that's for sure. I'll let you know...
post #98 of 267 Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, Aziz Ansari, comedian and actor on 'Parks and Recreation', went to see Star Trek in digital IMAX. His rant can be found here: http://********/V9BFq

He also twittered about it, making IMAX one of the 'trending topics', leading more people to click and comment. www.aintitcoolnews.com and www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com picked up on it, even linking to the www.lfexaminer.com story from last October.

Amazing what 1 irritated comedian with a following can do these days in a short period of time.
post #99 of 267 Old 05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm really happy that my cinema has no plans to convert to digital. The projection manager said they can't get enough light to produce a good image on the giant screen.

David Budo
post #100 of 267 Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 AM

Liked: 44
Cineplexes Getting IMAX, But Is It IMAX or CONSPIRACY?

http://gizmodo.com/5250625/cineplexe...yline=true&s=x
post #101 of 267 Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For the record I believe that the image of the newly DLP projected Image caN EXCEED IN ansi AND mtf THAT OF THE OLD FORMAT WHICH IS THE LOWEST ANSI CONTRAST you get from a public venue.

The greater perceptual Depth Effects offered by the Electonic system may have emboldened Imax executives to bite the bullet to pursue the Dual head DLP projection conversion.

While I have not seen the digital Imax yet, we have an excellent 70 footer down here and to be honest and AMC theater Monster Vs Aliens was significantly more enjoyable on real D than with the old Imax.

I will reserve my judgement on which Imax is best, but the old Imax already has 2 strikes against it on my book, low ansi and poor 3-D. How poor? Imax 3-D rates a maximum of 6 on a sc ale of 10.

I am sort of looking forward to giving the old Colossus(format) the thumbs down, my finger is itching.
post #102 of 267 Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 AM

post #103 of 267 Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Imax: Screen size not important

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5dd5bd93ec0102

They can spin it any way they want. It still ain't your father's IMAX.
post #104 of 267 Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI Joe Sixpack View Post

They can spin it any way they want. It still ain't your father's IMAX.

I know.

I spoke to the manager of the Ft. Lauderdale IMAX theater about this and he said they have no intention of changing from 15/70.

It just irks me that they are using the distinguished of IMAX to sell a product that has nothing to do with what IMAX stands for:

Image Maximum

At least when Rolex decided to release a line of budget wrist watches, they didn't name them Rolex. They called the line Tudor. All it was was a Rolex watch with a different name.
post #105 of 267 Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Lee

a reminder: please don't paste copyright articles: you can quote a few lines, you can paraphrase, you can post a link

Thank

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #106 of 267 Old 05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

It is an interesting element weighing method, that's for sure. I'll let you know...

Keep an eye out for the Red Shirt (in the movie that is!)
post #107 of 267 Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM

A Rare Tour of IMAX Cameras

Quote:

By Mark Wilson, 2:00 PM on Thu May 28 2009,

There are 26 IMAX film cameras in the world today. At IMAX HQ, I got to play with 4 of them (and take plenty of photographs for you).

http://gizmodo.com/5271638/a-rare-tour-of-imax-cameras
post #108 of 267 Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Peter,
I went to see Star Trek at the Aventura theater. Sorry, I didn't find the presentation superior to a regular movie for the price difference. It was sharper and the Ansi was probably better, but it left something to be desired. At the end of the movie, I went down to the screen. The amount of noise in the pic was pretty high. I was in the back row, so it wasn't visible, but may have contributed to a loss in pic quality.

I would like to try to do an A/B comparison between the Mall's Torus screens and the Imax. Maybe a couple of people could get together here and try it out. I think Sunset has a digital Imax now.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #109 of 267 Old 05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have not seen the digital Imax, will try Sunset. They are supposed to be 3-D too.

BTW Dolphin Mall is my new reference for RealD, let me know if you want to go see anything 3-D. Am a sucker for that stuff.

Star Trek was a great movie and I did like it, but JJ Abrahams is idiotic in two ways:

SHAKING THE FREAKING CAMERA reduces the active resolution to 240 pixels, not to mention the Nausea factor.

His creatures (Cloverfield knockoffs) have Little Shop of Horrors Man Eating Plant features that are completely not believable

post #110 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
post #111 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

His condescension to the 3-D medium shows his lack of technical understanding and capacity to sense nuance.

I haven't seen the new IMAX so I cannot comment on it but I see many advantages to digital over the sprocket based system for 3-D.
post #112 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

His condescension to the 3-D medium shows his lack of technical understanding and capacity to sense nuance.

I haven't seen the new IMAX so I cannot comment on it but I see many advantages to digital over the sprocket based system for 3-D.

Trying to figure out how you can compare IMAX 2K Digital to IMAX 15/70 and think there is a comparison.
post #113 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

To me the Imax giant screen is neat but for 3-D it absolutely sucks in comparison to a non-too slanted RealD auditorium. The Monsters Vs Aliens Presentation at the Dolphin Mall KILLED the 80 foot Imax Autonation presentation in contrast, color and ABSOLUTE LACK OF GHOSTING. GHOSTING IS THE ANATHEMA of a 3-D system, and IMAX sure figured away to create a system where Ghosting cannot be removed by DSP (Ghostbusting).

Now I am looking forward FOR HT to the next generation Light Engine from Barco, with More contrast, perfect convergence, and deeper DCI color, use a Dolby 3-D system and on a Torus and ...
post #114 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Go see UP there )(seat on the 9th row center) and tell me you absolutely found something wrong with it, or that you found the image too small. Not so.
post #115 of 267 Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought that the editorial by James Hyder that Roger Ebert mentioned was very good. See http://www.lfexaminer.com/20081016.htm

I share Roger's lack of enthusiasm for 3D.
post #116 of 267 Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 AM

So I watched that segment about IMAX Digital Versus IMAX 15/70 on that show Science of the Movies and I was disturbed by it.

They made like 15/70 was yesterdays technology and digital is now. The one thing they never discussed is the difference in the resolution, color bit depth, gray scale, etc.

post #117 of 267 Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post

I thought that the editorial by James Hyder that Roger Ebert mentioned was very good. See http://www.lfexaminer.com/20081016.htm

I share Roger's lack of enthusiasm for 3D.

Yea, I watch way too much stuff that just simply is going to get nothing from 3D. I just don't see it making an impact on the experience of most of the types of films I enjoy most. Additionally the lack of detail from the low fL is a problem for me personally.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #118 of 267 Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM

"Trying to figure out how you can compare IMAX 2K Digital to IMAX 15/70 and think there is a comparison."

I feel terribly sorry that a large part of people who are going to see "Transformers 2" in IMAX will experience it in digital IMAX. What a waste !!! Some scene have been shoot with IMAX's cameras.

Since when 2 digital 2 K Christie's projectors can reproduce the very high definition of IMAX 70 mm film ?

Since when IMAX's screen are smaller than some traditionnal's 35 mm screen ?

I am a projectionnist in a french cinema. My big screen (2.39 shape) is 24 meters X 9.80 meters high. Is it IMAX ? Certainly not because it is too SMALL !!! IMAX = Image Maximum !

With a good 35 mm print, my century's projector (with 8000 watts xenon's in lamphouse) is certainly able to give a very good experience, close to digital IMAX (maybe less light).

5 dollars more for IMAX 70 mm on a hudge screen with a great geometry = OK, even for IMAX DMR (i don't like the letterbox effect on movie like "Watchmen" but it is inevitable or it's pan and scan).

5 dollars more for Digital IMAX on "small screen" = better experience than most regular theater but it's certainly not the IMAX i love.
post #119 of 267 Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thinking about this some more, I believe the biggest issue isn't that Imax is doing a Liemax. The problem is that they are deceiving people with their name into believing it is something else (the original Imax). This can give a short term boost in Liemax attendance, but I wonder how many people will pay the premium in the long run.

P.S. - I saw the Liemax term in the comments section of the Ebert article. I think it is a hilarious term that accurately describes what they are trying to do.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #120 of 267 Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So I watched that segment about IMAX Digital Versus IMAX 15/70 on that show Science of the Movies and I was disturbed by it.

They made like 15/70 was yesterdays technology and digital is now. The one thing they never discussed is the difference in the resolution, color bit depth, gray scale, etc.

What a piece of PR fluff for IMAX. They fed the clueless host his lines and he repeated them faithfully. The CEO repeated his spiel about 'immersive' being more important than screen size, then the VP of all things technical takes host-boy into the company's screening room PJ booth, shows him the eleventeen rolls of film needed for the 15/70 PJs while holding a small box with a large capacity hard disk containing the same film which he then hooks up to a DLP PJ. Then the whopper. Since the resolution is the same, says faithful host, I'll take the hard disk instead of the film.

IMAX has stepped up the hard sell and most of the gullible public will buy it, hook, line and micro-mirror.
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page