Prometheus Master Of Technology... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
D-cinema Equipment and Theaters > Prometheus Master Of Technology...
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 05:43 PM 12-05-2008
Chris you are showing our age man...

I only did the video on that one and space planning. Chris Hansen did the audio with Lexicon,bryston and meyer ( a little rough but loud).

The video was no slouch a dual aspect ratio 12 foot wide Stewart with side making (the vey first 16 x 9 projection in this country). This was disputed and I was able to prove it, Runco had done widesreen projection first but he was doing 2.35 screens. It had an Ikegami 1080 scaler which inspired Faroudja to do a step down model from his 50k unit. With the Sony 127(9)1 the combo creamed the nec based Runco.

You may recall Pan (although it was not named in the article, baptism came later). I was retiscient to name moons there were only 14 back in 1987, now there are hundreds of moons.

That one made the front cover:

And the polish whore house inspired Atlas

CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 05:47 PM 12-05-2008

Allways a surprise we have white piping forming large diamonds on the navy wall acoustical covering. After consideration a neutral pattern is ok by a Video standard 101 guidelines. Let's see.

I don't know but I think this interior designer /architect is beginning to live up to his "Best in the Riviera" reputation.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 11:05 AM 12-09-2008
The Divan in Mohair...

Three viewing areas...

Alan Gouger's Avatar Alan Gouger 12:12 PM 12-09-2008
I like the wall to wall seating in the back.
Gino AUS's Avatar Gino AUS 01:23 AM 12-10-2008
Yes, that's a great idea, looks really comfy and inviting.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 04:06 AM 12-10-2008
Thanks.

Here is a definition:
A divan is a type of couch-like sitting furniture.

Originally, in the Orient (especially the Ottoman Empire), a divan was a long seat formed of a mattress laid against the side of the room, upon the floor, or upon a raised structure or frame, with cushions to lean against.

Divans received this name because they were generally found along the walls in Middle Eastern council chambers of a bureau called divan or diwan (from Persian, meaning a government council or office, from the bundles of papers they processed, and next their council chambers). Divans are a common feature of the liwan, a long vaulted narrow room in Levantine homes. The sofa/couch sense was taken into English in 1702.

The divan in this sense has been commonly known in Europe certainly since about the middle of the 18th century. It was fashionable, roughly speaking, from 1820 to 1850, wherever the romantic movement in literature penetrated. All the boudoirs of that generation were garnished with divans. They even spread to coffee-houses, which were sometimes known as divans or Turkish divans, and a cigar divan remains a familiar expression.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 03:27 PM 12-11-2008
Front left wall...

Steamer required...

sculpted seat backs...

CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 02:45 AM 12-17-2008

I for one am glad of the final changes with the exception of the main speakers which are a bit of a step down, though beginning to sound stellar.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 03:05 AM 12-17-2008
Just when everything looked nice and finished, it's front screen area tear down.

two weeks ago we powered the amps connected to the speakers to listen for possible imperfections, it was all dead silent until we head a loud pop, much like a 22 caliber shot. It was one of the 436's dying. When we removed the grille the amp was not turning on.

We reassigned the center channel amp to the left channel and listened to stereo.

The c4's sounded great considering the degree of separation.

As you recall the first screen was full of blotches, as per Alan it had mottling.

Stewart quickly dispatched a warranty replacement but this time in ST130 gain.

The new screen potentially would suffer of cross reflectivity (in a Torus that may wash out minute details). It is less "in your face looking" than the previous screen and certainly a lot less bright (from 2.2 to1.3) but I can comment that the uniformity is beyond perfection and the slight diffuseness of the screen does bnot detract form the razor sharpness of the image. The enhanced depth is still there in all it's glory and I had a once in a longtime chance to enjoy the paragon of movie watching with Narnia 2.

The most dreaded part of the TORUS procedure is installing the tongue in groove slide in ballast for the shadowbox.

At no point is there more risk to smear or damage the screen surface.

Success!

Later we assigned the center channel in -3db to the left and right channels of the TACT using the mixing facilities of the TCS MK II. The TCS MKIII DCI compatible unit is being built. The dialog is highly inteligible and the sound stage enhances the moving image.

The tact audio blows away of the water the Denon in fidelity and resolution.The surround channels delivered from the voice of god sounded natural in panning and timbre. We have not done the autoeq just yet.

We also fired up the d-box with chronicles of narnia 2 and the whole experience began to confirm that this is indeed the finest system on earth.

On Monday we had moved the projector back 4 inches to gain access to the front controls (the lens mount) in order to centralize the range of adjustment
for focus (Core focus adjustment), the lens mount is very sensitive to even the most minor adjustment and the pressure applied to the screws at any given time, coupled with the order of adjustment is crucial, but we did and the focus is humming.

There are still a myriad of other adjustments left with the projector but those have more to do with the GPIO automation part and the DCI 3D part.

In addition we want to integrate a steering whell and pedals to the d-box platform. This may be a very difficult task.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 09:16 AM 12-18-2008
Better pics to come...

Getting ready to build portholes....

CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 06:39 PM 12-18-2008
For those paying attention at the highly cantilevered re-design process at Prometheus. This is no ordinary D-Box platform, we called upon the custom engineering department of SMX Cinema to cantilever the crap out of the platform design.

Here is a video.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 08:22 PM 12-18-2008
Defective 436 proved to be providence acting in a very mysterious way.

Long post about phantom center and opportunities to improve on the Epilog built in center channel concept to come.

Master Bathroom screen behind mirror.

TJ Morgan's Avatar TJ Morgan 10:39 PM 12-19-2008
Are you using just a single JL Audio sub?
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 12:34 AM 12-20-2008
TJ, There are two. That 3rd floor room structure is old and malleable, one sub would have been enough. The whole thing feels like it wants to explode. And mind you it is a Steve Haas engineered floating room but still 1927 standards of construction.
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 07:08 PM 12-20-2008
Ahhhhhhhhh, it's refreshing to see that light control especially in the screen area.

Peter, room is looking awesome. How reflective is the rest of the room?

How is the sound with the ceiling design? I'm extremely impressed and kudo's to you.

Cliff
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 08:05 AM 12-23-2008
Thanks Cliff. Yes the shadowbox works dramatically well in the ansi contrast enhancement department. The voice of god sounds like that and being dark eliminates alot of possible reflections, so the room does behave like a bat cave. I really cannot overemphasize how pleased i am with the sheer beauty of the TORUS, now with the Studio Tech 130 we have perfect evenness and no sparklies (except only on the rim edges of the screen -that are masked by the shadowbox) prior to it my favorite fp screen had been the smx, way much "more-betterer" than the supernova (with which I am stuck), this thing however is off the charts. This ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL of HT design truly deserves the auditioning from the most fastidious videophiles, the problem you have is the need for the combination of a) the projector with the TORUS friendly characteristics, B)the screen itself (ray traced to the actual venue) and c)the Torus optimized room and screen periphery, without the three elements perfectly balanced you have certain catastrophic failure. A high risk delicacy not unlike eating blow fish.

When you are sitting in that theater and the show starts you feel like you are aboard Klaatu's saucer, about to take off.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 08:06 PM 12-29-2008
Here are some pics with a wide angle lens...

CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 08:08 PM 12-29-2008

CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 09:01 PM 12-29-2008
The three portholes , the service portholes which are fixed with removable stealth covers and the projection porthole which is removable for periodic glass cleaning are being built.

SmX's Avatar SmX 12:44 AM 12-31-2008
Peter, did you know this house was used in "Any Given Sunday" with Al Pacino and Cameron Diaz? They filmed inside and outside the house.
It is around 1:50:30 into the movie

In these first two shots they are sitting next to the dreaded stairs you have to walk up everyday

Ruben
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 04:25 AM 12-31-2008
In order to have an accurate calibration with the pr-655 (calibrated to 2nm accuracy) we had to rush the portholes in, the glass had not been siliconed so some sound was going through the porthole.

You still can hear the difference here:

PORTHOLE TEST VIDEO

experiencing technical difficulties...
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 07:38 AM 12-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX View Post

Peter, did you know this house was used in "Any Given Sunday" with Al Pacino and Cameron Diaz? They filmed inside and outside the house.
It is around 1:50:30 into the movie

In these first two shots they are sitting next to the dreaded stairs you have to walk up everyday

That is amazing, the square footage has been increased a lot.Thanks Rub...
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 07:41 AM 12-31-2008
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 07:50 AM 12-31-2008

Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn 08:02 AM 12-31-2008
Once again,thanks for sharing some of your amazing work with us Peter. The room ended up looking quite beautiful. Personally , I like the overall look better than Helena.

Art
Alan Gouger's Avatar Alan Gouger 08:22 AM 12-31-2008
I second Arts comments Peter. Not only is the room over the top from the technical aspect for both audio and video it also looks very comfortable.

If I heard your calibration video correct I was surprised how dim ( which is normal ) the Blue channel was and that Barco is a light canon compared to a typical consumer machine. I wonder what the blue ch delivers on a 500 lumen projector, does it even register

What are you using to capture your videos. I just bought a "Mino HD" which allows quick uploads to youtube. Its only 720p but it does the job and fits in your pocket.

Good work.

ccool96's Avatar ccool96 12:38 PM 12-31-2008
Peter,

Since you don't use an anamorphic lens with the Barco how do you deal with 16:9 HDTV content?

Thanks
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 05:49 PM 12-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Once again,thanks for sharing some of your amazing work with us Peter. The room ended up looking quite beautiful. Personally , I like the overall look better than Helena.

Art

Thanks so much Art, means the world to me that you like it, my next goal is for you to like the picture, let me know when you are in town.

Ps . I too prefer this design over the Helene, at least I had more control of the space planning here and the architect gave the space wonderful intimacy and warmth.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 05:54 PM 12-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I second Arts comments Peter. Not only is the room over the top from the technical aspect for both audio and video it also looks very comfortable.

If I heard your calibration video correct I was surprised how dim ( which is normal ) the Blue channel was and that Barco is a light canon compared to a typical consumer machine. I wonder what the blue ch delivers on a 500 lumen projector, does it even register

What are you using to capture your videos. I just bought a "Mino HD" which allows quick uploads to youtube. Its only 720p but it does the job and fits in your pocket.

Good work.

Thanks Alan,

The calibration took like 20% off the light on white however the picture is to die, after a special 3.0 shaped gamma curve with a big belly this thing is just incredible. Despite the porthole glass that does take maybe 12-14% contrast (no more ansi cr) after the special gamma we are hitting 13.5 ft Lambert of the most spectacular depth enhanced rec 709 on the planet. The beauty of this baby is that you can always go to a 3 or 4k lamp.

I use the lx-3 leica panasonic which normally does very nice 720p, but during the darkness of calibration it's hard to see.
CINERAMAX's Avatar CINERAMAX 06:00 PM 12-31-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post

Peter,

Since you don't use an anamorphic lens with the Barco how do you deal with 16:9 HDTV content?

Thanks

Ccool,

There are macros for flat as well as cinemascope, we have three Picture Color File variations, rec709, dci, and proprietary which is rec 709 with a super 3.0 big belly s shape gamma curve that i swear is the future of projection HT.

You have three macros for each plus two more for 3d with the DCI PCF for upcoming stuff.

The lense has a memory and it goes from one aspect ratio to another. It get s there quick but the system keeps on checking in the background adjusting focus in minute increments for another minute.
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop