Digital Cinema Product Prices? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
vlt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am pretty new to digital cinema, I do not work in the industry I am just a student who is doing an assignment on digital cinema and need a bit of help with my research.

I am doing an assignment on digital cinema and need some help. Part of my assignment is to include prices, however I searched everywhere for prices and was not able to find them, I even emailed Christie and couldn't get a price.

What would be the prices on the following equipment :

Christie Digital CP2000-SB
Doremi DCP2000 Digital Cinema Server

Another thing that I couldn't find information about was how the Audio would be played back. Can Motion JPEG 2000 Video contain Audio aswell and be played back by the server, All I know is that on the specifications for the Doremi DCP2000 it says for Audio - "AES/EBU Audio 16 Channels - Single DB25 Connector, Balanced and Unbalanced analog audio 8 channels, Single DB-25 Connector internal board or External Digital Audio (DB-25) to analog audio converter in a 1Ru rack mount chassis"

So how would the Audio work, Would it be connected to some sort of Amplifier, and generally how many Channels would be used, I know Home theatre is 5.1 Channel but have no Idea how the audio would work in Digital Cinema.

I would have posted the link to the specifications of the Doremi DCP2000 but I'm not allowed until I have 3 posts.

I read that for Video output it uses a Dual link HD-SDI cable, what type of cable is this and how much would it cost? I dont understand what it means by "dual link", I know for DVI, a dual link cable has more pins, but what about for the dual link HD-SDI cable, doesn't it use a BNC connector which doesnt really have pins?

Lastly, I need to provide products for future upgrades. At the moment the standard for digital cinema is 2k but soon it will be 4k, I have not seen any 4k projectors apart from a product from Sony. Is there a Server capable of outputting 4k resolution? My idea was to get a 4k output server in the first place to save on costs when it comes time to upgrade the projector. I read the specs on the Doremi DCP2000, it says its capable of playing back 4k content, but for outputting it only states 2k, I don't understand that.

Thanks,
Boris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 161
A barco dp 2000 stock unit and lens and base was 78,000 british pounds in quantities of 12 in the only public pricing document I have been able to find. The dolby server is 20KUS$, the surround processor from dolby is 12KUS$ but it probably needs an aesx8 digital card add another2KUS.

Sorry but that is all I know.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
vlt

Thanks,

Do you have links to the Specifications on the Dolby Digital Cinema Server? And sound proccessor?
Why is the card needed? I couldn't find any specs on the card. Would the card be placed into a slot on the Server? or the Sound processor?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 23
A few years ago a then D-Cinema Industry Analyst/Consultant, now D-Cinema Exec told me when I posed some numbers to him, that depending on the deal a projector would start around 50K euro and approach the 100K or so listprice if you weren't a very interesting (prospective) customer. Christie has generally been considered a lower priced vendor than Barco, NEC doesn't seem to have much of a presence in Europe (despite DPI's UK roots).

The manufacturers indeed are generally not too forthcoming in public. When I proposed some numbers to a Christie rep at a tradeshow, he quickly referred to a story an UK independent theater chain owner (and customer of Christie) had told in an interview or some other public venue, that it takes around 80K UKP to convert a theater to D-Cinema, at the time that was around 120K Euro, from which I concluded that pricing was inline with what I had heard earlier, saying the projector would be around half that, add server, some power, audio cabling, and so on. The Christie rep silence, when I suggested above projector price was telling. Since then all D-Cinema DLP projector vendors have introduced smaller, lighter units, still with plenty of power. On the other end the days of free projectors are now over, the mass theater conversion underway.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
vlt

Thanks for the replies everybody, it has helped me a lot.

What about the cost of installing the equipment, I.E for a group of installers to come and install the Servers and projectors into say about 15 Rooms.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2008, 04:39 AM
IMMERSION GURU

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Prepare to mortgage the house and pimp your daughter out, all I can say for my experience with these type of consultation (and I don't know if because they saw some of the homes these theaters are in and then hiked the price out) but I have seen a one man per diem go from 600 to 1,000 unexplicably. 1,000 a day does not necessarily buy you perfection, just reasonably competent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters