Odeon West End, London, United Kingdom a JBL installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Simon is senior projectionist for Odeon West End is two screen classic cinema with nice looking auditoriums, sadly my camera wouldn't pick up the detail because of the distance and light level vs the cameras flash wasn't powerful enough, to see, the screens nicely curved and from what I could see a good stereo presence even thou I haven't seen a film in the Odeon West End as of yet, call it a gut instinct.

Simon kindly showed me around the two projection booths that had Victoria 8 35mm 70mm or duel projection for all occasions. The last time 70mm was shown at Odeon West End was 10 years ago, and I asked if any plans for future 70mm presentation was planed.

He replied with confident yes we're going to be doing film season soon with a 70mm mag strip of West Side Story. I was quite pleased to hear and about that thou, I asked do you have the five stage speakers for left centre and right centre and all the screens are only outfitted with three JBL behind the screen and two JBL sub bass speakers.

JBL 8330 mounted flush into one of two Odeon West End screens, I think this Odeon screen 1 downstairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

We discussed about the issues of re-mastered prints and re-mixing is think I dread aabout most because after listening what re-recoding mixers did to that was holy mess! I mentioned the slight differences in the laserdisc version that contained the original soundtrack elements over the DVD version that was totally different.

Anyway I just hope it's a true original 70mm magnetic print, I'll be keeping an eye on Odeon West End as I'd like to catch this classic Romeo & Juliet romantic love story, on the big screen.

The new digital projectors that they are using at a cost of 60 grand over standard 35mm projector that is around 30grand and a pain to maintain and keep those cogs still winding and turning over, takes skill.

I asked Simon if he thinks digital will be widespread over the UK within a few years and he replayed with confident yes again, they're easier to maintain and the digital release is far cheaper over the 35mm print costs.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm not so optimistic myself because I don't see this happening on wide scale for at least another 10 years, because the cost of 60 grand is lot of money and giving the amount of screens in the UK its at least another 10 years and not will want to install Dolby digital cinema, only a few cinemas will install in few of there screens while 35mm will still be running the majority of shows to the general public.

The booth was quite remarkable and with barely enough room to swing a cat around due to the depth of the booth. The rectify took up at least 3 feet or room then the lamp-house adding a further 3 more feet and the projector at around 2 ½ feet. Also the digital projector was like the size of Mini Cooper! It was nice looking beast and linked with Dolby digital cinema with over a terabyte of data output would clearly leave Bluray in the dust! So I might as well stay with DVD because cinema is still the original medium.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

The racks systems housed QSC amplifiers and thou I should have had my notepad out at this time, all I could do is ask him questions about his position in projection today. I told him I worked for UCI and Warner Village cinemas and small drive-in-cinema in-between the other cinemas over the years and haven't laced up in nearly 11 years now.

The cinema uses all sound formats with its assorted range of Dolby CP200 Dolby CP650 SDDS6 and dts as well as Dolby A and SR types for 35mm and 70mm magnetic.

Simon was quite willing show-off the booths of with a sense of pride, and with 12 years experience under his belt he knew his trade hands down.

I noticed a slide projector in the booth, but when he pointed out its for (subtitling) it suddenly clicked because I have seen this advertised on some cinemas, just never seen film in the cinema yet with subtitling. It was fitted with filter to prevent artefacts distracting the audience, the text is projected onto the screen in the lower portion of the screen in green text.

The lens if I can remember off the top of head where for 2.35:1 1851 and 1.33: or was it 1.77:1 the 70mm lens was somewhere in the building as it hasn't been used in 10 years, whew 10 years, [sighing].

Sadly there wasn't enough time to tour around behind the screens in Odeon West End screens 1 and 2, maybe next time around.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interesting pictures, thanks! Curious why a lot of cinemas are using the low end QSC amps? I think over here those are called the 'USA' series. Nothing fancy about them, I guess in a fixed install like that, nothing better/more heavy duty is needed.

What's that 'Marlin' mixer/amp used for? Do the ushers use a wireless mic like the odd theater does here? IF so, I'm guessing they're running separate speakers for that?

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Interesting pictures, thanks! Curious why a lot of cinemas are using the low end QSC amps? I think over here those are called the 'USA' series. Nothing fancy about them, I guess in a fixed install like that, nothing better/more heavy duty is needed.

What's that 'Marlin' mixer/amp used for? Do the ushers use a wireless mic like the odd theater does here? IF so, I'm guessing they're running separate speakers for that?

I can only speculate, could be when they do premiere events they need to mic-up the announcers and guests.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

One rather neat little thing I noticed in the rack while looking at Future Projections who are one of many top United Kingdom suppliers and installers also there THX certified.

The unit was a (Cinema Monitor Unit) £169.00 I'll be keeping an eye on that its featured here on the (FP site) http://www.fproj.com/fp_sound/micsmix.html#misc

Here it is placed above the Dolby digital media adapter.

And here placed as well, its all good stuff.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
JBL nice post. Im drooling looking at some of the equipment. This theater has some of the best. That red integrated anamorphic ( if its an Isco/Schneider ) loaded in the vics turret is a serious piece of glass, Im sure the presentation on that screen is first rate..
Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

JBL nice post. Im drooling looking at some of the equipment. This theater has some of the best. That red integrated anamorphic ( if its an Isco/Schneider ) loaded in the vics turret is a serious piece of glass, Im sure the presentation on that screen is first rate..

LOL That's not quite like the first quote Alan before the data crash corruption. It was more a long lines of something like.

Technology like this in cinemas is rare? Or now I remember! You said you liked the "red lens the anamorphic lens" I get the feeling you where drooling at the time.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

That "sex and the city" billboard I was looking at that while walking down the square, wondering? How is does that work? It had a motion a flicking that looked like (light and shadow) reflecting on it at different angles.

That was until I saw an episode this morning of the X-files called Emasculata where there was this petrol station that had the same thing, little shiny objects made up into a shape and I thought, oh so that's how it works.

At first glance I thought it was lighting system.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

LOL That's not quite like the first quote Alan before the data crash corruption. It was more a long lines of something like.

Technology like this in cinemas is rare? Or now I remember! You said you liked the "red lens the anamorphic lens" I get the feeling you where drooling at the time.

Yes lost that post to the crash. Your memory is better then mine
Yes I am drooling over some of this equipment. First class all the way!!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes lost that post to the crash. Your memory is better then mine
Yes I am drooling over some of this equipment. First class all the way!!

I'd bet you trade it for this home cinema junk they make, I know I would that digital projector thou it has few issues is ten times better than the most of the junk going around and that Dolby digital cinema media player, might as well throw bluray in the dustbin.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
JBL,

Thanks for posting the pictures and providing the information! This Odeon cinema is pretty good. As a personal choice I don't like the Odeon across the road with the big curved screen [where most of the premieres take place]. It is supposed to be one of the largest if not the largest screens in Europe as per my information. It's disappointing and sub-par IMO.

My personal favourite in the West End is the "Empire". It's a fantastic cinema with excellent picture and sound quality. One really enjoys the movies at that cinema. VUE [formerly Warner Village] cineplex next to it is also brilliant especially the THX certified cinema.

If you ever get the chance, then I would recommend taking a trip to Birmingham to go and view a movie in Star City's VUE cinema but the VIP one where the seating is minimal because they have pretty big automatic recliners in the entire cinema!! I've never experienced so many automatic recliners in one hall [I think the seating capacity is roughly 50 only]. You have personal tables in front of you. It's like a private viewing. Something unique for a commercial cinema. It's worth the price of admission. Every penny of it. It goes without saying that the picture quality and sound quality is top notch. VUE is way ahead of Odeon IMO. Empire is the reference standard in England.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Haroon

There’s only one cinema I’m in love with and that’s Empire without the tables and rockers I wouldn’t trade with for £1 million pounds.

Empire Leicester square thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...209&highlight=

The largest Odeon screen is Marble Arch London, not sure if it still holds the record. The only film I’ve seen at Marble Arch is Lawrence of Arabia (1988) 70mm Dolby SR the deep curve while sat at front totally drew me into the wide landscapes of the dry desert, when Lawrence blew the match flame out, BOOM!

Birmingham is bit further away than London.

Odeon Leicester square when looking at it from the outside might wow a few people at drawing the crowd in. once looking at screen 6 you think it would deliver, giving the sheer cost of the sound system to every seat.

The circle was the first place I sat at for the first time back in (1993) Last Action Hero 70mm Dolby SR with split surrounds. The sound was distant from the front and the enjoyment of the fronts was dull.

The surrounds captured my senses in the circle. But in the lower stalls the surrounds are just dreadful!
The same again with the fronts the stereo left and right was incredibly narrow.

The sub bass was lacking the force and the whole thing that Odeon practices with this "fanatical about film", they should really put there money where there mouth is, because I want my £13.50p back from that awfully digital showing of “Leatherheads” (2008) on Sunday April 20th just dreadful.

When I saw the layout of Odeon West End, the look of the auditoriums looked the part with a good enough near distance to the screen and the surround layout looked better, than Odeon Leicester square.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Haroon

There's only one cinema I'm in love with and that's Empire without the tables and rockers I wouldn't trade with for £1 million pounds.

I couldn't agree more! Empire is in a class of its own. It gives you that Hollywood feeling. It's a pity that some of the big movies go to Odeon Leicester Sq. when 200 yards or so from it is the Ferrari of cinemas.

Quote:

The largest Odeon screen is Marble Arch London, not sure if it still holds the record. The only film I've seen at Marble Arch is Lawrence of Arabia (1988) 70mm Dolby SR the deep curve while sat at front totally drew me into the wide landscapes of the dry desert, when Lawrence blew the match flame out, BOOM!

I've been to the Marble Arch Odeon to see Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It must have been a different screen because it was not that big but the picture and sound was quite good. I rate it as one of the best Odeons out there.

Quote:

Birmingham is bit further away than London.

1hr 10mins via Virgin train. If you ever go to the West Midlands then go and see a movie in the VIP hall.

Quote:

Odeon Leicester square when looking at it from the outside might wow a few people at drawing the crowd in. once looking at screen 6 you think it would deliver, giving the sheer cost of the sound system to every seat.

The circle was the first place I sat at for the first time back in (1993) Last Action Hero 70mm Dolby SR with split surrounds. The sound was distant from the front and the enjoyment of the fronts was dull.

The surrounds captured my senses in the circle. But in the lower stalls the surrounds are just dreadful!
The same again with the fronts the stereo left and right was incredibly narrow.

The sub bass was lacking the force and the whole thing that Odeon practices with this fanatical about film, they should really put there money where there mouth is, because I want my £13.50p back from that awfully digital showing of Leatherheads (2008) on Sunday April 20th just dreadful.

I ruined my screening of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Troy over there. I didn't bother to see a movie in that Odeon after that. It's pretty sub-par IMO. It would be fun if Peter [Cineramax] goes there and sees a movie. He will probably grab the owner by the jugular 20 mins after the movie starts for serving this to the public.

Quote:

When I saw the layout of Odeon West End, the look of the auditoriums looked the part with a good enough near distance to the screen and the surround layout looked better, than Odeon Leicester square.

Agreed. This Odeon is better ... much better than the one around the other corner.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Odeon Marble Arch
Oh, yeah the screen or cinema was modified several years back I think they turned it into a 3 or 4 screens?

Sorry last time I travelled Virgin was to Warner Village cinemas just outside of Liverpool, Cheshire Oaks for a projectionist interview and it took nearly 9 hours!! No way am I going on another Virgin train, no way!

LOL I’d to see what technique he uses to get his £13.50p back! Then use it to spend at the Empire.

The Odeon uses the JBL 5000 series screen arrays five-screen arrays!

The clusters of speakers are suspended in mid air by a crane support rig able to withstand the massive bulk weight of the five JBL 5000. Found this image not at the Odeon site but elsewhere, it shows you the size and scale of the huge beasts.

I could have asked and gotten a look at Odeon Leicester square screen 6 projection booth early this month, but I wasn’t interested at the time plus the cinema was open and I know the score in booth, its better somewhere in-between after the films stared, maybe that’s if one is tied up with making film up on the bench or doing some minor electrical changes to blow light-bulbs or cleaning an air conditioning system, or who knows have some coffee and biscuits.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Odeon Marble Arch
Oh, yeah the screen or cinema was modified several years back I think they turned it into a 3 or 4 screens?

I think there were 4 screens in the Marble Arch venue. I don't think it has the biggest screen now. That one goes to the Odeon Leicester Square in the pictures above but boy is it a poor cinema with average picture and sound quality.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

The bowed screen at the top and bottom distracted me all the time while watching “Leatherheads” the seats and I can get those seats for £10.00 a piece if the guy still has them, I wanted to get at least 6 that where going to end up in the skip! Believe it or not! there slightly uncomfortable plus the seating height from where I was row J seat 22 I think, I was itching to getting up, straight up and walking out, I would have paid £13.50p twice at the Empire!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just read on the Mad Cornish Projectionist Site.

WTF!

Odeon axed as cinema goes underground

Katharine Barney, Evening Standard

A MAJOR London cinema is to be demolished to make way for a new basement cinema and hotel on the corner of Leicester Square.
Under the plans, approved by Westminster council last night, the Odeon West End would be knocked down and replaced with a nine-storey block containing a hotel, flats and four restaurants.

The number of seats in the new auditoriums will be slashed from 832 to 440 in one and 500 to 200 in the other but will be larger and more luxurious. Currently the cinema is used for small film premieres and hosts the BFI London Film Festival.

The proposals are part of an £18.5million regeneration of the south-west corner of Leicester Square. They include three street-level restaurants, a rooftop restaurant and flats. The 245-bedroom hotel would occupy the first to fifth floors.

The building has been designed to reduce carbon emissions and will have solar panels on the roof. Designers Make have drawn up plans for a curved layout with a frontage of mirror finished stainless steel. The centrepiece will be a 657-foot granite "ribbon" seat where some of the square's 250,000 daily visitors could rest.

Matt White, of Make, said: "We have combined a distinctive presence on the square with an appreciation of the qualities of the surrounding area."
The Odeon was built in 1930 as The Leicester Square Theatre, a name it retained until 1988. It was modernised in 1968 with a blander shell, and in 1988 was renamed the Odeon West End.

Work is due to begin next summer.

This also robs projectionist of their jobs because it will all become automation with no real magic left in the final art of illusion. That's why I don't care to do this kind of work again Digital for all the good it will do I dislike it.

Didn't someone stop to think and brainstorm ahead in time that this will cost jobs in projection or don't they care because good projectionists are hard to come by.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sad. Things will never be the same and only better for the next generation who have no history and shared memory what was on this block.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sad. Things will never be the same and only better for the next generation who have no history and shared memory what was on this block.

Yeah its low numbers I don't think I like digital cinema now it sucks.

Well some form of wall plague, might suffice.

Digital cinema is the lost art form because there is no true magic behind it when it's all automation.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Screw celluloid.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Screw celluloid.

No screw digital it's for lazy people who don't know what art of projection means.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
YOU are lecturing ME on what the Art of Projection is? Enough nostalgia.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

YOU are lecturing ME on what the Art of Projection is? Enough nostalgia.

The digital presentation of The Spy Who Loved Me didn’t impress me till I noticed the edge enhancement, now you’d never ever see that on film. Digital sorry, it sucks its first impressions that count the most and it failed to win me over.

The other digital presentation was The X-Files I want to Believe (2008) okay sure no splicing no more no ware and tare , but please don’t lecture me on this, been there done it.

I could see grain structure this led me to believe it was conversion from 35mm. Fine I like grain but in real life night time doesn’t have grain filling up my field of view when looking at the stars with the naked eye.

Digital presentations were at the Empire Leicester Square at it had 56KW JBL THX because I wouldn’t go any other place otherwise, now then.

If I’m coming off as sounding senile and cynical that is the way I am now.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Odeon West End, still open as usual! Summertime, not so far away now.
http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_...don__West_End/
Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik View Post

Agreed. This Odeon is better ... much better than the one around the other corner.

Actually I really don't like the Odeon West End. I've been to a couple of cast and crew screenings there that were so bad I don't bother going if I get a ticket to the West End ( the Harry Potter films tend to book out every cinema in Leicester Square on a Sunday morning for cast and crew). This is also one of the brightest cinemas I've been in. I could have read a book at the last showing I at, seriously washed out.

I was at the Quantum of Solace cast and crew at the Odeon Leicester Square and I did not notice any bowing and believe me I was scrutinising the credits. Really nice showing although I was sure it was 2k rather than a print: too stable to be film and the grain had that slightly crunchy 2k look.

digital film janitor
Old 04-26-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

I was at the Quantum of Solace cast and crew at the Odeon Leicester Square and I did not notice any bowing and believe me I was scrutinising the credits. Really nice showing although I was sure it was 2k rather than a print: too stable to be film and the grain had that slightly crunchy 2k look.

35/70mm prints have noticeable tail, tail signs like (cigarette burns) in upper right corner.

They appear ether at 15 or 20 minute intervals depending on each reel, with digital its just continuous uninterrupted play.