VUE West End a JBL installation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is new thread of the same trend at keeping in with the JBL theme only this is the VUE West End a 9 screen multiplex cinema. I was unable to get an on site projectionist to show me around the place as there must have been a few new developments since (1994) when attending the screening of Maverick, Andy Symes [chief projectionists] showed me the technical advanced booth in screen 7 if I'm to mistaken.

Note: I've also found earlier pictures of the Warner Bros West End cinema though some extensive secondary research and came over a site that I forget I joined last year called Flickr

I'll start off with a few of my pictures then blend in the other pictures that I found.

I can't reveal yesterdays source expect it was on technical point of view. I mentioned the name of the JBL Lasing forum site which kinder helped at promoting the site a bit more.

Most of the pictures are slightly on the dark side due to the camera flash; also I could have taken liberty of taking a few pictures behind the screen as it was easy to get to, but maybe next time when I pay a visit to Leicester Square.

One of two THX screens at the VUE or Warner Village as it used to be called and before that Warner West End which original had 5 screens that was demolished in the early 1990's to accommodate 9 state of the art screens that all incorporate JBL throughout the entire 3 floors.

I see that the JBL 8330 are still in use to this day a very nice surround loudspeaker. Most screens varied in size as well as the number of surrounds required for each auditorium. 16 in the THX screens are used and 12 or so in the smaller screens.

Mostly JBL 4675-A in the largest screens not too sure about the smaller screens. Sub bass is JBL 4642 which is twin 18 sub bass in the larger screens, again not sure. I'm reading some secondary research that was published in Home Cinema Choice (October 1995).

The acoustical absorbent material on the side and rear walls helped to tame and decay slap echoes and well as some high frequencies, when [whistling] some tones around 1 and 2KHz it deadened very fast!

I can't remember which or how many screens I looked around at, as some where in use at the time with a film showing. I can remember which or how many screens I looked around as some where in use at the time with a film showing. I did sit down to observe one film in THX, not sure about the title? The moment I walked in that was screen7 THX, it was loud dialogue no deep lows nothing of sort that I could feel or pressing on my body, so that was bit of disappointment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Warner Bros West End March 1964

post #3 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

March 1984

21st March 1985

February 1986

29th August 1986

29th August 1986 Note: Highlander playing in THX sound system!

3rd May 1992 Refurbishment of the Warner West End from 5 screens to 9 screens at cost of £20millon I believe.

3rd May 1992

3rd May 1992

September 1995
post #4 of 7 Old 10-24-2008, 04:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for posting the pictures and information! It's nice to see the transition. The last I saw, it seemed a bit cramped compared to the 60's picture.

I had the opportunity to see a movie here in one of the THX screens. It was good and enjoyable. My reference is still The Empire. That one is a treat. And the opposite of The Empire in every way is right opposite to it across the road where all the premieres take place.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon Malik View Post

Thanks for posting the pictures and information! It's nice to see the transition. The last I saw, it seemed a bit cramped compared to the 60's picture.

I had the opportunity to see a movie here in one of the THX screens. It was good and enjoyable. My reference is still The Empire. That one is a treat. And the opposite of The Empire in every way is right opposite to it across the road where all the premieres take place.

Well let’s say I never hesitate to see a film at the Empire in THX. Something about Maverick Dolby stereo SR type, that didn’t seemed sound right was the amount of low end in the one of the screens back 1994.

It had loudness sheer loudness I’m pretty certain I took my SPL db meter with me and measured some high dialogue yelling peaks around 90dbA! I think when Maverick Mel Gibson went over the cliff; it’s a flipping long time ago now…

I also remember the first time there was lot of buzzing and thumping sounds happening before the film started. It sounded like (Andy Symes) was unplugging one of the leads inside the projection booth, weird because in all my years never heard this happen before and it was quite entertaining LOL. The Film of course was uninterrupted. This happened moments before the THX trailer started LOL.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2009, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Last THX film of the day was Wolverine in screen 7 THX!

Plenty of chest/quaking lows to satisfy most at the front thou I'd like to check it out in the middle row next-time.

It wasn't all that bad in THX thou the Martin Audio is in question here!? Seems like sly change from manufactory name from JBL to (Martin Audio that sucked in the Empire several years back it lacked!)

However this one seemed to kick as above I mentioned.

It wasn't a bad film as it goes it would suck if it lacked THX of course.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page