Digital Imax wanabe! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
Alan Gouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great article.
Looks like digital Imax provides no where near the same experience as celluloid.




But...but...IT's NOT IMAX!

By Roger Ebert

From Mike Williamson, Burbank:
The writer is a filmmaker.

I tried to go see WATCHMEN in supposed "IMAX" today at a newly installed IMAX theatre here in my local BURBANK multiplex.

Below is the email I sent to IMAX after walking out a couple minutes in.

* * *

Whoever is receiving this email, I encourage you to forward to the appropriate departments, including all top staff.

I just got back from the new IMAX in Burbank, CA and I have to say...THIS IS NOT IMAX!

As soon as I walked in the theatre, I was disgusted. This is NOT an IMAX screen. Simply extending a traditional multiplex screen to touch the sides and floor does NOT constitute an IMAX experience.

An IMAX screen is gargantuan. It is like looking at the side of a large building ,and it runs vertically in a pronounced way. It is NOT a traditional movie screen shape. A traditional multiplex theatre can not house a true IMAX screen without STRUCTURAL CONSTRUCTION to raise the ceilings, etc.

What I saw today was more like the European standard of 1:66-1. IMAX screens are constructed to be your ENTIRE field of view. This screen was PATHETIC by IMAX standards.

I understand in a movie like WATCHMEN, which is not shot in IMAX, that the image will be letterboxed on the screen. HOWEVER, for a movie like THE DARK NIGHT, specific scenes would NOT be able to be shown in the proper aspect ratio at this theatre. It would be CROPPED at the top and bottom. What's the point? Why would I pay extra for this???

Additionally, IMAX seating traditionally puts you IN the movie. The screen is so large that the seats loom ABOVE it, and close to the screen. You almost feel as if you are being DROPPED into the film. The "IMAX" (yes, I am putting quotes around it now) seating at the Burbank 16 has NOT changed one bit since it was just a regular multiplex!!!

A screen that's, oh, about 20% bigger than a standard multiplex theatre should NOT BE CALLED IMAX!!!!!! This is FALSE ADVERTISING.

When the show started, I lasted about 2 minutes before walking out and demanding a refund.

THE PROJECTION WAS DIGITAL!!! You think we can't tell the difference between digital projection and beautiful, crisp 70mm film?!!!? Guess what. We can. I don't care if you DO have two DLP projectors running simultaneously. It's not the same. Not by a long shot.

IMAX should be ashamed of itself as a company. Willfully downgrading itself to nothing more than a standard **** multiplex screen on a wee bit of steroids. Disgusting.

If this is the future of IMAX, then your company is heading towards a PALE shadow of itself. What once was a unique film going experience is now almost completely indiscernable from a regular multiplex screening.

Congrats guys. Paying too much attention to how to do things on the cheap just completely destroyed your company.

If it's NOT 70mm film. If it's NOT a giant square screen. If it's NOT seating which puts you in the center of the action...Then it's NOT IMAX.

I got my money back. I won't be tricked again. And I suggest you start informing customers in advance what is a TRUE IMAX presentation, and what is a ****** digital presentation on a kinda-bigger multiplex screen.

A former enthusiast,

Mike Williamson
Burbank, CA
http://www.nickeleyepictures.com/
http://www.blacklight-pictures.com/
Alan Gouger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coldmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waiting in the weeds
Posts: 5,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, how can that be right? The guy must be mistaken

Peter gets a 70mm presentation from just a single "Scheisse Kontrast" unit.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
coldmachine is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Wow, how can that be right? The guy must be mistaken

Peter gets a 70mm presentation from just a single "Scheisse Kontrast" unit.

It has been appropriately relegated.

Art

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #4 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Great article.
Looks like digital Imax provides no where near the same experience as celluloid.




But...but...IT's NOT IMAX!

By Roger Ebert

From Mike Williamson, Burbank:
The writer is a filmmaker.

I tried to go see WATCHMEN in supposed "IMAX" today at a newly installed IMAX theatre here in my local BURBANK multiplex.

Below is the email I sent to IMAX after walking out a couple minutes in.

* * *

Whoever is receiving this email, I encourage you to forward to the appropriate departments, including all top staff.

I just got back from the new IMAX in Burbank, CA and I have to say...THIS IS NOT IMAX!

As soon as I walked in the theatre, I was disgusted. This is NOT an IMAX screen. Simply extending a traditional multiplex screen to touch the sides and floor does NOT constitute an IMAX experience.

An IMAX screen is gargantuan. It is like looking at the side of a large building ,and it runs vertically in a pronounced way. It is NOT a traditional movie screen shape. A traditional multiplex theatre can not house a true IMAX screen without STRUCTURAL CONSTRUCTION to raise the ceilings, etc.

What I saw today was more like the European standard of 1:66-1. IMAX screens are constructed to be your ENTIRE field of view. This screen was PATHETIC by IMAX standards.

I understand in a movie like WATCHMEN, which is not shot in IMAX, that the image will be letterboxed on the screen. HOWEVER, for a movie like THE DARK NIGHT, specific scenes would NOT be able to be shown in the proper aspect ratio at this theatre. It would be CROPPED at the top and bottom. What's the point? Why would I pay extra for this???

Additionally, IMAX seating traditionally puts you IN the movie. The screen is so large that the seats loom ABOVE it, and close to the screen. You almost feel as if you are being DROPPED into the film. The "IMAX" (yes, I am putting quotes around it now) seating at the Burbank 16 has NOT changed one bit since it was just a regular multiplex!!!

A screen that's, oh, about 20% bigger than a standard multiplex theatre should NOT BE CALLED IMAX!!!!!! This is FALSE ADVERTISING.

When the show started, I lasted about 2 minutes before walking out and demanding a refund.

THE PROJECTION WAS DIGITAL!!! You think we can't tell the difference between digital projection and beautiful, crisp 70mm film?!!!? Guess what. We can. I don't care if you DO have two DLP projectors running simultaneously. It's not the same. Not by a long shot.

IMAX should be ashamed of itself as a company. Willfully downgrading itself to nothing more than a standard **** multiplex screen on a wee bit of steroids. Disgusting.

If this is the future of IMAX, then your company is heading towards a PALE shadow of itself. What once was a unique film going experience is now almost completely indiscernable from a regular multiplex screening.

Congrats guys. Paying too much attention to how to do things on the cheap just completely destroyed your company.

If it's NOT 70mm film. If it's NOT a giant square screen. If it's NOT seating which puts you in the center of the action...Then it's NOT IMAX.

I got my money back. I won't be tricked again. And I suggest you start informing customers in advance what is a TRUE IMAX presentation, and what is a ****** digital presentation on a kinda-bigger multiplex screen.

A former enthusiast,

Mike Williamson
Burbank, CA
http://www.nickeleyepictures.com/
http://www.blacklight-pictures.com/

Well Alan, we saw that coming when IMAX decided to go digital without any kind of projection systen that approached IMAX film projection. IMO IMAX is done.

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #5 of 20 Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: everywhere
Posts: 12,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Wow, how can that be right? The guy must be mistaken

Peter gets a 70mm presentation from just a single "Scheisse Kontrast" unit.

He was missing the Puerto Rican sisters effect that's why.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coldmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waiting in the weeds
Posts: 5,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

He was missing the Puerto Rican sisters effect that's why.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I was missing something.

Its a great relief to know that the CINERAMAX secret underground laboratories in Geneva aren't employing all those research Ph.D's for nothing.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
coldmachine is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dizzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
yesterday i went to a presentation at a local planetarium, and it was two sony 4K's spreado ver the dome with a childrens presentation (zula patrol) and i have to say it was pretty darn cool. i was hard pressed to find a seam.

in order for imax to do "digital" there are options, but i think that many of these would end up costing almost the same as the imax system.

as the author points out... it is the presence in the film that counts. and any smaller screen kills that.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
Dizzman is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
My local cinema is still using 70mm and according to the manager, there's no plan to change in the near future. I'm going to try to watch a few releases before they do change for my own memory.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 19,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A traviesty!

Like Rolex coming out with a "value" line of watches . . .

To be sold at Target and Wally World.

Lee Stewart is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman View Post

yesterday i went to a presentation at a local planetarium, and it was two sony 4K's spreado ver the dome with a childrens presentation (zula patrol) and i have to say it was pretty darn cool. i was hard pressed to find a seam.



But IMAX has no plans to use multiple 4K projectors for their digital theaters.

Art

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #11 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 12:04 PM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have never seen a digital that could touch IMAX film, let alone 70mm. Hope it will exist some day, but it doesn't exist now.

Batman in IMAX at IMAX was amazing.

Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm was unforgettable.

You're gonna need more than just 4k to match these experiences. I am sure we will get there, but we are not there yet.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
johnbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: london,ontario,canada
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think they need the new 8K systen runing at 60fps.
johnbr is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

I think they need the new 8K systen runing at 60fps.

Why 60fps? Why not 48? I hate 3:2 pull down.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
 
ChrisWiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 20,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like 24fps. Call me a old fashioned.
ChrisWiggles is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

I like 24fps. Call me a old fashioned.

So do I, but if they're going to multiply the frame rate, do it in even numbers.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
johnbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: london,ontario,canada
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why 60fps is when they were working on showscan they found that the eye works at 60fps.So no fickler.
johnbr is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

Why 60fps is when they were working on showscan they found that the eye works at 60fps.So no fickler.

I can't believe what I'm hearing! They're actually going to use 3:2 pulldown at the theater for a movie. I'm shocked! SHOCKED!

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: everywhere
Posts: 12,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 40
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Art Sonneborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Battle Creek,MI USA
Posts: 22,291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbr View Post

I think they need the new 8K systen runing at 60fps.


That's the problem they aren't going up from the res of the standard screens next door.

Art

My HT


iRule rules my theater
 

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

 

Bob Marley

Art Sonneborn is online now  
post #20 of 20 Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dbuudo07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Showscan had 60 sprockets if I recall correctly

Yes, but they're filming at 60fps if I read correctly.

David Budo
Dbuudo07 is offline  
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off