My Conversation with Stallone.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This is a dream I had Friday night, yes a dream, but one that I think reflects the consummate professional I am.

I guess it started by me reviewing a list of Blue Rays and seeing Rambo 4 and thinking what a bomb of a film, although the D-Box made it fun due to the machine gun rumbling effects.

In any event I did meet Stallone in 1994 when he was living here and saw his dual simplex 35 mm projector basement, where I tried to sell him a DNP rear screen GWA with a Hughes ILA Super Contrast [I remember telling him that Cliffhanger was a high contrast movie that would benefit from such projector], the thing did not pan out, we were talking 375 for just the screen and projector back then...

Flash forward to 4 am last Saturday....

I walk into a huge Mediterranean house (something on Larry King about interviewing Candy Spelling was announced that night BTW) , the living room is like a huge open space (church like with a 2nd story wrap around balcony), at one end is a 25 foot wide Stewart Luxus A/B trap door in 1.77 Aspect Ratio {see the attached conceptual I am pitching elsewhere}.

The screen is flanked by some old old line arrays on a stick with two woofers that used to be made by McIntosh XRT-35?

As I walk towards the back to inspect the projector there is a JVC 4K and lo and behold there is Silvester, not a year older, I remind him of my our previous meet and he just does not acknowledge and walks south out of the property I follow Silvester trying to tell him, but the words are having a hard time coming out, finally they come out:"You don't understand , this technology is nowhere near as good as DCI DLP"... He stops walking in the yard looks at me serious, places his hand fully opened in front of his face, takes his left hand and overlays it in front so as to form a grid and then looks at me with a mean Rambo displeasing facial expression, "oh you mean there is visible pixel structure?"-I said, he nods like saying"Exactly", and takes off this time towards the north west part of the compound, at this point I feel I am back at his old Coconut Grove property and I walk exactly to the the entrance of the old basement projection room, I opened the door, go down the same stairs and as I am prepared to continue my lecture on the benefits of DCI DLP he comes to me and asks: "you still here?" and then I woke up.

Is that the funniest thing or what?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dude, that is a serious indicator of some repressed sexuality.

I'm guessing that, during this fantasy, you had Sly in assless chaps.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

Liked: 10
Disgusting dreaming about Sly, did you wet the bed sheets? LOL I’d lay off those RAMBO films can be quite hazardous to your sex life.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 40
You two are so freaking anal. In more ways that one.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

You should have taken him for dinner, I hear Sly loves a good salad...................tossed

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #6 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Damn, there is teenage ribald humor in amongst the >$20K forum. Who'da thunk?

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

You should have taken him for dinner, I hear Sly loves a good salad...................tossed

Maybe Planet Hollywood, London, its got a THX cinema underneath it!

Sly usually pops over to England for premieres usually the VUE which is JBL installed THX! I heard he then Slyly sneaks out to run RAMBO II in THX at Planet Hollywood, thou that's just a rumour. Just kidding.

Well he might, who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

You two are so freaking anal. In more ways that one.

Interesting you tired to flog Sly off with different projector for Cliffhanger (1993) is it that high contrast!? Never saw it at the cinema, missed that opportunity. The only versions I've seen is P/S VHS PAL rental laserdisc PAL and now region 2 DVD.

Differences in the film is violence being trimmed for VHS first edition the PAL laserdisc showed more leaner cut of the film and oddly enough a few or is when (John Lithgow) Eric Qualen perforates (Caroline Goodall) Kristel in the back with several gunshots! Lucky I kept the laserdisc, might transfer that to DVD-RW at some point in time, at higher quality rate, the lower the image stats to loss bite or shine.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I occasionally dream about the Red Sonja era Brigitte Neilsen rather than her ex-hubby.

However those dreams rarely involve cinema issues although there are normally a couple of very impressive projections.

digital film janitor
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page