Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #121 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 499
several have crossed the line here: and as pointed out condescension and anger are not necessary

now...before another thread gets removed, please limit your posts to technical issues

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I am wading through 66 megabytes of installations instructions for a Dolby Server to discuss what I had scheduled for this thread which is a subject of interest at the highest level applications, this is after all a One Projector Obsessional thread, feel free to open new discussions elsewhere. Si Vous Ples?
post #123 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
peter... that is like telling objectivists to stay away from a cable thread.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #124 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

several have crossed the line here: and as pointed out condescension and anger are not necessary

Isn't using the forum as ones personal advertising and hype venue crossing the line? Do you expect hugs and kisses?
post #125 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ View Post

Isn't using the forum as ones personal advertising and hype venue crossing the line? Do you expect hugs and kisses?

In 10 years I have sold 1 thing through this forum, 4 years ago. Other members have recurring stream of new engagements. Why can't I share my high risk experiments, think of the Pathos once I eventually miscalculate and fail publicly.
post #126 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Peter, this is a sincere suggestion. Have you considered doing threads on your projects in the theater build forum where people routinely document their theaters beginning to end?
post #127 of 141 Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #128 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Yes.

That sounds like a great idea, it certainly seems a more appropriate section of AVS for your projects. There are plenty other DIY enthusiasts posting there.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #129 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You se but there is a little thing, everytime I go back to this Prometeus Room... Like Al Pacino in the Godfattehr 2 or 3: "Every time I try to get out... they pull me in."

Whatever combination of factors in the Prometheus room is causing such an incredible image, everytime I see it anew it is like a tractor beam. It pulls me back in. I have as (admittedly self appointed)custodian of all that is pure and good in high end video, simply must start a thread again, against all odds BECAUSE DCI MACHINES NEED TO BE LEGITIMIZED on their own top shelve category at an accurate distancing from regular 1080p machines.

Let's try again.
post #130 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Whatever combination of factors in the Prometheus room is causing such an incredible image, everytime I see it anew it is like a tractor beam.

I think the most likely explaination would be that, by your own admission, you have limited experience of SOTA machines, other than in a trade show environment.

Quote:

simply must start a thread again

An excellent idea. I look forward to enthusiastically participating in any such thread.

post #131 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I thought you had heard good things about the Titan Reference. Besides the level of complexity of the DCI files based system and the home integration complexities of these projectors are many. Other DCI owners here do have this expertise, but as an executive consultant to this type of installations I am it. I am the only gun for hire focused on the DCI for home part.
post #132 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought you had heard good things about the Titan Reference.

I have indeed. I hope to audition a Titan or a Lightning soon.

post #133 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

nobody is arguing that the torus/barco combo is not likley spectacular. but the comitment and tradeoffs involved in using a torus are such that it is not a viable option for many. just like the fact that a 27" broadcast monitor is better in every way than any 60" plasma. but that does not mean i want to use one, even if i can afford it.

what keeps being said (and lets face it, there is only one true point of contention.) is that the lumis beats the barco in some areas, and the barco beats in others, so they are two machines that (in a prescribed set of conditions) can work equally well. nobody is saying they are equal. nobody is saying that one is DEFINITIVELY better (oh wait... you are peter) just that they compete. and for many, the lumis is a better option. and we are not tlaking about price in all cases.

the point of contention is that CM says he has a bunch of measurements and the lumis beats in various contrast areas. Odyessey says he has measurements that show barco besting the lumis. so in this area, a real discussion can happen. or more name calling and escalating so that one or both either gets banned, or gets pissed off and leaves.

Now i will say that thus far, CM and his creative use of language have escalated higher... but this is probably due to a level of frustration brought upon by peters incessant trumpet call. but hey... we are all gentlemen here... cant we all just get along?

Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

post #134 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

I have indeed. I hope to audition a Titan or a Lightning soon.

You may be surprised by what platform the next generation Super High End of DPI is based on. Make sure to follow my twitter accounts of Infocomm for more.
post #135 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not to mention the diminishing entertainment value of watching the same two guys bicker day after day. I know it must be hard to resist the temptation of toppling the other guys tower of blocks as it grows higher, but try.

LJG made an accurate comment the other day that this type of constant baggering would tend to scare off some verified professionals.

Would Tiger Woods enter some golf forum under an alias to argue the merits of the Vokey wedge, or Ovechkin in a hockey forum to argue some wannbe on what's the best stick for a super snap shot...I doubt it.

And whatever projector is ones theater does not mean it's the best. It is just your preference....regardless of income. I don't think anyone really cares what's in another guys theater room.

JC
post #136 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Regarding the numbers, one must defer to Odyssey's careerlong familiarity with top shelf optical measurement equipment and his painstaking care to adhere to the standards in all it's procedural accuracy.

The calibrations as thrown around in the prosumer forums may not be that accurate. Even my Hollywood Post House people that had done the customization and my Barco's measurements have been corrected by Odyssey much to their dismay, so it's likely we all have been measuring in less than accurate fashion.
post #137 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

Regarding the numbers, one must defer to Odyssey's careerlong familiarity with top shelf optical measurement equipment and his painstaking care to adhere to the standards in all it's procedural accuracy.

Odyssey is one of those "verified professionals".
post #138 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I don't blame Odyssey for his reluctance to post relevent measured findings, he would only be attacked by the resident Deputy Dog.

This is a loss to the forum.........
post #139 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

My inference in referring to cm's escalated language was not that he has taken it to a higher level, but that he is calling out what he sees as incorrect info. And he calls it clearly. Thus far (to my knowledge) he has posted numbers. Odyessey has not. So there is a big gap. And while his stance may be more aggressive, I personally appreciate that fact that he backs it all up.

And this is not meant to be a slam in any way, but most people here are not verified. Names are anonymous, credentials are unknown, so pardon me if I want to see data.

And if numbers were posted along with pertinent info to qualify them, no deputies would crap all over them. There might be a debate, but it would be in the face of data.

Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

post #140 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post

I don't blame Odyssey for his reluctance to post relevent measured findings, he would only be attacked by the resident Deputy Dog.

This is a loss to the forum.........

1+++

Lon: My feel is, that it gets too often forgotten, that this is a public forum with 1000ds of worldwide viewers, and that the image of the forum gets lowered because of too emitional attacks. Also: where is the respect to the founders of the forum - all those wrestler's discussions are happening on a stage, that is paid by somebody else, admin, servers & co included. W.Mayer was completely appalled, when he heard, that members he appreciates and knows for years were riding personal attacks. This should be stopped. It would be a revelation, to follow the big 5 just like sitting in a cinema and be fascinated what happens on the screen.
post #141 of 141 Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Forum Notification System

Liked: 21
Thread closed.
Closed Thread D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page