Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

very nice as this will push ti to bring 4k dmds
to the market.

I've heard that the wheels are already in motion.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #4 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
TI needs something to get deployment going again.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
About 30 months ago, Regal said that Sony had not shown that its system was reliable enough for widespread installation. http://www.reuters.com/article/Media...40343920061129 It appears that Regal is now satisfied.

After the AMC and Regal deals, the third DCIP partner -- Cinemark may be decisive. If Sony wins that deal too, DLP Cinema may fade into history.

I wonder how much of the decision was based on pixel count -- "4K has to be better than 2K."

It's hard to believe that TI and its licensees can rush 4K units into production since such devices have yet to be publicly announced or demonstrated (AFAIK).
post #6 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
I personally like what I think this implies for the home market. That it will still make sense for Sony to spend resources to stay in that market and improve their product. But I also wouldn't want to see it push TI out. I like the competition.

I'm also wondering if or when I can go see some native 4k content with one of these projectors. Sony owns a studio, so it seems like it would make sense for them to do a big movie in 4k and then let people know that there will be an advantage to seeing this with a 4k projector from them when going to a commercial theater (even if there is good debate about whether the images are as good as 2k DLP overall).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #7 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Does anybody here know if Sony has convergence controls for these projectors? They have them for home units and I would hope that at the least they would have digital shifting of individual colors to get the center within .5 pixels. With sales of these picking up it seems like Sony should be able to invest in features like that. And with 4k the zone convergence thing like they have on the VW80 home model could work well, if they have enough processing power.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #8 of 16 Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
On paper at least this is a way for the commercial venues to boast something over what is in the home.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #9 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Here is a somewhat related link about Sony
post #10 of 16 Old 05-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Reach for Me, First All-4K Movie Screened in Los Angeles

Quote:

Submitted by danielle.mickey on Wed, 06/11/2008 - 02:25. Home PageNews Stories
Reach for Me, the first feature-length motion picture to be shot and produced entirely in 4K, was screened last month at Landmark Theatre's flagship theatre, The Landmark, in Los Angeles' Westside Pavilion.

Directed by Levar Burton and produced by AMediaVision Productions, the movie was captured using Dalsa's Origin 4K cinematography camera, with 4K image processing and digital intermediate managed by Post Logic. It was screened at The Landmark on Sony's 4K Sony's SRX-R220 digital cinema projection system.

"This screening is a perfect example of the practical reality that 4K technology has become," says Andrew Stucker, director industry relations for Sony Electronics' digital cinema division. "From end to end, movie-goers will be able to immerse themselves in the incredible experience that 4K resolution can provide."

The picture's producer, Mark Wolfe says that "having a complete end to end 4K workflow gave us all the creative and time advantages of digital moviemaking all the while maintaining the beautifully rich look of traditional film production, without adding any additional cost to the production process."

According to Rob Hummel, president of Dalsa Digital Cinema, the production of Reach for Me, clearly demonstrates that 4K technology is the future of digital cinema. "4K projection technology empowers the digital cinema pipeline to display images equal to the most pristine film answer print," he says. "So whether the image is a 4K scanned 35mm film, or photographed with a Dalsa camera, 4K projection ensures the audience will see an image without compromise, and that every seat in the house gets a spectacular picture."

Dalsa's Origin with a CODEX digital disk recorder was used during production and all data was archived to LTO 3 tape. Post Logic used a Baselight 8 system during the digital intermediate process.

"Having assembled a top talent and engineering team, Post Logic is well equipped to handle the increased bandwidth and file processing demands of a 4K DI," says Larry Birstock at Post Logic. "A true end-to-end 4K workflow is now a viable alternative for movie makers."

Reach for Me is produced by Charlene Blaine-Schulenburg, Susan R. Rodgers and Wolfe. The movie stars Oscar nominees Seymour Cassel and Alfre Woodard, as well as Johnny Whitworth (3:10 to Yuma), Lacey Chabert (Mean Girls, Party of Five) and Adrienne Barbeau (The Fog, Escape from New York). The worldwide rights for Reach for Me are currently available.

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/reach-for-me
post #11 of 16 Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 AM

4K projectors aimed for at least 5,000 screens in 3-5 years

Quote:
By Carl DiOrio

May 18, 2009, 12:00 AM ET
Sony Electronics has inked a deal with Regal Entertainment to supply the nation's No. 1 exhibitor with 4K digital projectors throughout its entire circuit.

The deal represents Sony's second big d-cinema hardware coup in the past few months. In March, it struck an agreement with AMC Entertainment -- which operates the second-biggest U.S. circuit -- to supply its theaters with digital projectors.

Both rollouts will begin once Digital Cinema Implementation Partners locks into a bank deal to facilitate digital installations for Regal, AMC and Cinemark, the nation's three biggest exhibitors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...949bccc7163a2b
post #12 of 16 Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Angels and Demons premiers in 4k. Anyone going to a Sony screening of this?
The following says Angels & Demons will also be released to theatres worldwide as a 4K Digital Cinema Package but anyone have confirmation the film originates in 4k?

http://celluloidjunkie.com/tag/angels-demons/

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=1437

http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=6398
post #13 of 16 Old 05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

The following says Angels & Demons will also be released to theatres worldwide as a 4K Digital Cinema Package but anyone have confirmation the film originates in 4k?

http://celluloidjunkie.com/tag/angels-demons/

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=1437

http://www.originalalamo.com/show.aspx?id=6398

It's 35mm plus 4K DI plus some Red One sfx shots in 4K. The actual detail of 35mm and Red One is more 3K than 4K, though.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Reach for Me, First All-4K Movie Screened in Los Angeles

http://www.digitalcinemareport.com/reach-for-me

That news is more than a year old now. (See http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...SA-852189.html.) As you know, Dalsa's Digital Cinema division is gone, so the future of the Origin "4K" camera is uncertain (maybe no future at all if no one buys the division's assets. See: http://www.dalsa.com/corp/news/news.aspx?itemID=169)

I put "4K" in quotes because like the Red One the Origin (latest was Origin II) uses a Bayer array sensor, so it isn't truly 4K. (It _could_ be 4K even so if the Origin's sensor were a lot larger than 4K pixels wide, but I don't believe it is.) If a projector manufacturer were to produce a Bayer-matrix "4K" projector using, say, four overlapping 2K imagers (GGBR) would we accept that as equivalent to 4K? (This has a precedent, btw: The NHK showed a few years ago an "8K" projector with a claimed 32 million pixels using four overlapping 4K imagers. Today we have a _real_ 8K projector from JVC.)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

It's 35mm plus 4K DI plus some Red One sfx shots in 4K. The actual detail of 35mm and Red One is more 3K than 4K, though.

Good info, thanks.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I could get out to a 4K Sony showing at the Muvico in Rosemont, IL. I'd do so if I could also get to a 2K DLP Cinema, preferably on the same day. But at the moment that doesn't seem possible. The way the deals are going, it might never be possible.

Has anyone here been able to observe the same film on Sony 4K and on 2K DLP Cinema? If so, your comment please...
Reply D-cinema Equipment and Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page