E&S' 8K Laser Projectors Also Display 3D Content in HD - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post

lets just say it can do 40k:1 and over 1200:1 ansi cr.
which room can show this?

For the 40k:1 on/off CR, pretty much any room where other lighting can be extinguished to the point that if the projector is off the screen is much dimmer than with the projector on and showing a complete blackout screen. So, even a white room can support this. I mentioned this in my article about CR and a room that was largely off white, but where a CRT with about 700k:1 on/off CR could still show an advantage from that very high on/off CR.

For 1200:1 ANSI CR, not that many rooms. ANSI CR off the screen is generally very dependent on how dark the walls and other surfaces are. On/off CR is not (unless there is other lighting besides that coming out of the lens and going straight from the projector to the screen).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 58
DP2,
Are you going to Infocomm?

Wolfgang,
You are looking at about 3 and a half hours to Miami. If you don't have a rental car, then it might be cheaper and easier to try Spirit Air.
http://marketing.spiritair.com/sales/current.php?p=1
Looking at their prices, Art might be able to make the trip for a cheap price.

Peter,
I might come through there depending on my schedule. Do you still allow CRT guys in your presence.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You realize that VDC is only an hour away. I might have to drag you over there and make bask in the warm glow of brand new CRT pjs.
Of course, VDC does sell the Sony 4k. On a serious note, I could ask Scott if there is a possibility of getting some extended hands on time with it.

Wolfgang,
I might add that instead of buying an expensive pj, you could buy a loft right beside Peter instead and enjoy views like this.
http://www.miamicondocommando.com/ne...iami-river.htm

Old 05-29-2009, 10:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

DP2,
Are you going to Infocomm?

Nope. Somebody else was footing the bill when I went last time (since I was writing reviews). I am planning to go see the triple stack of G90s at Cliff's place soon and also go to CEDIA in September. You might want to consider going to that as it is in Atlanta this year and where most of the consumer stuff gets introduced.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

But we had so much fun at the '06 Infocomm. Has it been that long?

Anyway, I am not sure if I am going to go down there this time. I have to go to Gainesville first, so I may just miss it. I am definitely going to try to make Cedia.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 120
None missed anything with this one.

I had not been so looking forward tgo arriving in Orlando since my forst Disney World visit in 1971?

The display was out in the open, the ansi cr was like a LCOS. BIG ISSUE the projector projects small particles of grit, looks like powder glitter all ove the image. It is a diffuser element needed for some reason.

Good thing Wolfgang did not fly to see it, his rants would have shadowed the biggest German ranter of all times...

The high end stays in 3dlp fpr now, although LED single chip kicked MAJOR BUTT.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

The high end stays in 3dlp fpr now, although LED single chip kicked MAJOR BUTT.

If you are talking about a BenQ I hope you will comment in the thread for it on the >$3k forum and if you know the price, that would be great. If another manufacturer, I would love to hear about wherever is appropriate.

--Darin

Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 AM
Old 06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CINERMAX
I read you as saying the screen used causes the particle effect. Let us hope progress will eliminate speckle within the projector.
I read yoo as saying the setup was not ideal, out in the open. Then it must be difficult to tell the ANSI potential. It might be better than LCOS but worse than DLP. I also think E&S uses a lower contrast process than Sony. Sony has a 30K+:1 blazed GLV process but this projector uses a lower contrast process.

I hope that you will be able to view a 4K 3D setup in a controlled environment to see the limits of this projector. It might be better than it looked on the show floor.

Mattias Ohlson
Old 06-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Old 06-18-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Peter does this grain move or is it static. Maybe it can be perceived as film grain if its the right size,
some may like this.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
the sparklies are a known side effect. they are in the process of reducing it. they even have a way of measuring it. i cannot recall the name they had for it. it may have been spackle.

apparently they managed to reduce it at the show by 3% they expect it to still drop in half from where it is.

the machine there was only about 1500 lumens. they were not even in a blacked out environment. so no conclusions could be drawn on contrast.

they expect the next light engine model to be ready in a month or so which will take them to 5K lumens. next year up to about 10k.

their active 3d was spectacular. one could almost say too good. as you would expect, the level of detail was fantastic. they had an animated sequence going through an Egyptian temple and an IMAX trailer that was great.

Apparently they have already been used in Home theatres.

if that had been in a blacked out environment... it would have been a must see.

however in the 3-D realm, Da-Lite had a new material 3D Virtual Grey
http://www.da-lite.com/whats_hot/index.php?wID=176

And it was in a tent they had off booth. it was pretty good, your standard passive 3-d demo... THEN... they showed an operation! at least the view from 3D cameras inside the body where the remote stuff was cutting and chopping and cauterizing... it was friggin awesome. great display.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2009, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Speckle, is one of the major drawbacks of LASER projection, there are several techniques to reduce speckle, I am not up-to-date on these, so I won't comment on them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckle_pattern
Old 06-23-2009, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Dizzman
Thanks for the great info and impressions.
So they will
- reduce speckle
- increase lumen

Have you established a contact that you can ask how they see the contrast progressing with further development? The first GLV implementation by Sony had a contrast ratio close to what E&S are now claiming. However with further research Sony has pushed GLV to over 30k:1. Could ask how they think they can improve contrast with further development and where they are today?

Mattias Ohlson
Old 06-23-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

i have known those guys for years, so i see them at the shows and inquire. i was teaching people about GLV over ten years ago.

Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

as far as advancements, i think that the numbers they are claiming are REAL numbers. sony has always been famous for inflated numbers.

Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Dizzman,

Thanks very much for reporting your impressions of our ESLP 8K projector at InfoComm09.

If you or anyone else are interested in learning more about our technology, you are also welcome to contact me as follows:

Cheers,

Jan Bjernfalk, Evans & Sutherland Corp.
bjernfal@es.com
+1.801.588.7623
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Bjernfalk View Post

Dizzman,

Thanks very much for reporting your impressions of our ESLP 8K projector at InfoComm09.

If you or anyone else are interested in learning more about our technology, you are also welcome to contact me as follows:

Cheers,

Jan Bjernfalk, Evans & Sutherland Corp.
bjernfal@es.com
+1.801.588.7623

Hi Jan and welcome to AVS. Very nice to have you here.

Jan:

Is it a future goal of E&S to have their Laser projectors in commerical movie theaters? IMAX?